Goings-on in North Korea

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re: Goings-on in North Korea

Post by laklak » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:08 pm

Are we going to be flooded with cheap North Korean products now?

I can see GM building an assembly plant there. You can't get much cheaper than slave labor, after all.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:10 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:04 am
They just met. Kim looks nervous. CIA might have spiked his wheaties.
He did, a bit. But, the kid is competent - he managed to keep himself in power in North Korea, and at that young age is holding a Stalinist regime together. He's got skills.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:11 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:34 am
The historic meeting was a great success, really great, top of the line, really good. Bolton must be furious.
It went well. I have no doubt that they went into the meeting knowing what the result would be, and the only worry was whether one or the other would pull a switcheroo at the end, or throw some sort of unexpected wrench in the works at the last minute. Neither one of them did. Success. It's a great start.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:12 pm

More than Trump but anyone has more skills than the Orange Scrotum. :funny:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:13 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:59 am
Nothing was agreed. Just propaganda and the Orange Scrotum's hope of a Nobel peace prize.
Nothing except Kim agreeing to denuclearize, Kim agreeing to return remains of Americans held over there, Trump agreeing to suspend war games in ROK, etc.

The meeting itself was monumental - the first meeting between a US and North Korean President. This is the first step in the process of officially ending the war, denuclearizing the peninsula, and pulling out US troops.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:16 pm

FFS have read the analysis of the agreement. It is fuck all. There is nothing new just a photo shoot for the Orange Scrotum.
"I want my peace prize" "I want my peace prize" "I want my peace prize" He needs his nappy changed more like it.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:19 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:42 am
Basically - Trudeau, bad guy; Lil' Kim, good guy.
The Trudeau thing is a big nothing. It was for show. Canada is still the US's closest ally. Everybody is still fine. US and Canada are still each other's most important trading partner, and whatever agreement is reached on tariffs will be just fine. It was a spectacle, for Kim's benefit, to give a hint as to what Trump's reaction is to someone who says one thing, and then reverses himself later.

What do people think happened with the G7? Are we no longer trading? Is there a trade war? No. There was some bluster. Trump wants the rest of the G7 to drop their tariffs, subsidies and other non-tariff barriers. So, he hit them with a club (raising tariffs). They all bleat and complain, and they marshall their media resources and get the buzz going that there's going to be a trade war and economic collapse. Trump says, "o.k., if we should reduce tariffs, then let's all of us drop them, and cut subsidies and other non-tariff barriers, and by the way you guys have higher tariffs than we do for products coming in." They complain and act all "concerned" about the "sobering" events at the G7, but the bottom line is, Trump is offering them a choice between either a bunch of high tariffs, or they reduce their tariffs on our agricultural products and cars and such.

What direction do you think Canada and Germany will go? They're going to reduce their tariffs. There will be an agreement in a few months, and everyone will move on. Trump will be stupid moron, but he will have achieved his goal.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:20 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:16 pm
FFS have read the analysis of the agreement. It is fuck all. There is nothing new just a photo shoot for the Orange Scrotum.
"I want my peace prize" "I want my peace prize" "I want my peace prize" He needs his nappy changed more like it.
It's not the end of the process, it's the beginning. It's the letter of intent. Grow up, silly boy.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Go and fuck yourself side ways knuckle head. Trump does not know what the beginning is. :fp: :funny:

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:30 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:12 pm
More than Trump but anyone has more skills than the Orange Scrotum. :funny:
Trump, no skills and stupid, but is running rings around his opposition.

Best economy in decades. Stock market continuing to move up. Unemployment nearing 50 year lows. Labor participation rate way up. More jobs available here than there are unemployed people right now (but the geniuses in Europe can't say any of that). Peace talks with the most dangerous adversary in the world right now, that could eliminate the chance of a costly and deadly war with North Korea. Progress being made to drop tariffs on US exports. Taxes reduced, but revenue to the government up. Costly regulations gone, spurring hiring all across the US. Housing starts up. Construction up. Manufacturing up. ISIS defeated.

Say what you want, but Trump did more than any of his predecessors in relation to North Korea, and is setting the foundation for a lasing peace. Isn't that what we all want?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:22 pm
Go and fuck yourself side ways knuckle head. Trump does not know what the beginning is. :fp: :funny:
He's a great big doo-doo head! :spray:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:37 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
The historic meeting was a great success, really great, top of the line, really good. Bolton must be furious.
It went well. I have no doubt that they went into the meeting knowing what the result would be, and the only worry was whether one or the other would pull a switcheroo at the end, or throw some sort of unexpected wrench in the works at the last minute. Neither one of them did. Success. It's a great start.
It's a start, and a kind of end too. Lil’Kim now know the US won't ghaddle him if he makes the right noises, nor will they interfere in DRNKs relationship with the South - so Ticket man has just secured his international position and comes away with the majority of the propaganda benefits. I just hope all sides act rationally, because if they don't the fallout could be of more than just of the political kind.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:05 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:37 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
It's a start, and a kind of end too. Lil’Kim now know the US won't ghaddle him if he makes the right noises, nor will they interfere in DRNKs relationship with the South - so Ticket man has just secured his international position and comes away with the majority of the propaganda benefits. I just hope all sides act rationally, because if they don't the fallout could be of more than just of the political kind.
That's a bit of an overstatement. One can't meet in person with a world leader without the event being covered in the news. What course of action, short of not having the summit, would have denied Kim a "public relations" benefit of meeting with the US President?

And, I think it's an overstatement to suggest how huge of a benefit it may have been. I mean, the guy doesn't run for election. He already is force-worshipped at home. So he gets a photo opportunity?

And, there is a long way to go before Kim can be assured the US will not interfere with his relationship with the South.

Lastly, look - there is no good way to solve this problem with North Korea without a comprehensive peace. The Korean War has to ultimately be officially ended. North korea has to give up its nukes, and that may mean that US nukes are moved off the peninsula too, and it may mean that the US forces in South Korea need to go. There's nothing wrong with that. US forces have been sitting in North Korea for going on 70 years. It's long overdue to end. And, as for Kim's internal atrocities, we've learned over the decades that we can't wish them away, and North Korea has set themselves up in a way that prevents any military action from being taken against them without it being a monstrous horror the likes of which we have not seen in generations. There is no choice but to come up with an agreement.

It's not a fait accomplis to succeed, but this was a good start. They have to keep going.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:23 pm

"Yabbut……...yahbut…..yahbut….." - The American Left
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:32 pm

Yes, they have to keep going - a de-nuclearised South-East Asia is far better than the alternative. The propaganda benefits play out at home rather than internationally, and the crazy Rocketman gets to tell his adoring worshipers about how the leader of the world's greatest military force was honoured to meet him and willing to bend to NK's will. In effect, those poor people have just had their oppressive tyrant endorsed by US. And now NK's main trading partners, Russia and China, can get back to businesses as usual.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT