Name this plane

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Re: Name this plane

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:42 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Okay, here's a brainteaser. Why would a divebomber fire it's machineguns at a ship. (Hint, they didn't care if they damaged the ship or not with them.)
At a guess...Would they be using them to gauge the trajectory of their bombs before releasing them (a bit like the ranging guns on tanks before they had laser rangefinders)? :ask:
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:48 am

JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Okay, here's a brainteaser. Why would a divebomber fire it's machineguns at a ship. (Hint, they didn't care if they damaged the ship or not with them.)
At a guess...Would they be using them to gauge the trajectory of their bombs before releasing them (a bit like the ranging guns on tanks before they had laser rangefinders)? :ask:
Essentially. They could judge from the line of tracers what adjustments were needed on their attack dive. The pilot that described this was referencing his attack on Yamato. The .50 cal. rounds were also handy for suppressing AAA from the open mounts on deck. You can imagine the havoc 348 warplanes could wreak on a ship of any size with machineguns alone.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly
About me: Destroyer of canards, and merciless shredder of bad ideas. :twisted:

Post by Calilasseia » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:59 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:
Essentially. They could judge from the line of tracers what adjustments were needed on their attack dive. The pilot that described this was referencing his attack on Yamato. The .50 cal. rounds were also handy for suppressing AAA from the open mounts on deck. You can imagine the havoc 348 warplanes could wreak on a ship of any size with machineguns alone.
That many planes would simply be too many for the AAA crews to handle with WWII vintage AAA. They'd be swamped. Even a 21st century warship with an 84-tube VLS launcher for latest generation SAMs and a brace of Phalanx CIWS would be severely tested by 348 inbound attacking aircraft.

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:01 pm

...Be better off with a giant fly-swatter. :smoke:
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:02 pm

The attack on Yamato points out the crushing differential between IJN pre-war philosophy and reality.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:08 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:The attack on Yamato points out the crushing differential between IJN pre-war philosophy and reality.
... and also Japanese desperation/stupidity, since they would have been long since aware of the dangers to ships from an enemy with air superiority. After all, they had more than enough success themselves early in the war against US and British ships, never mind being on the receiving end for a couple of years.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:32 pm

klr wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:The attack on Yamato points out the crushing differential between IJN pre-war philosophy and reality.
... and also Japanese desperation/stupidity, since they would have been long since aware of the dangers to ships from an enemy with air superiority. After all, they had more than enough success themselves early in the war against US and British ships, never mind being on the receiving end for a couple of years.
It was a swan dive song anyway, Yamato was going to beach herself and become a big-ass pill box. Stupid plan, but that's what they were left with. The military set the course of the country instead of following the lead of the civilian government. This is what that got them.

klr

Post by klr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:21 pm

God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:42 pm

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:50 pm

PenisPlane.jpg

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:11 pm

Ôka suicide rocket plane?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:16 pm

Yep. A spectacular failure thanks to its limited range.

klr

Post by klr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Damn, I was hoping that one might trick people up. :twisted:

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:16 pm

Făkünamę wrote:Yep. A spectacular failure thanks to its limited range.
Weren't those launched from bombardier planes or something? Not speaking of landing but I don't think those things were even capable of taking off
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

klr

Post by klr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Făkünamę wrote:Yep. A spectacular failure thanks to its limited range.
Weren't those launched from bombardier planes or something? Not speaking of landing but I don't think those things were even capable of taking off
Yup. Both planes were sitting ducks when they were together. In some cases, the "Bettys" jettisoned the rocket planes to try and save themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yokosuka_M ... al_history