The Internet Arguing checklist--for non-leftists

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Gallstones
Supreme Absolute And Exclusive Ruler Of The World
About me: A fleck on a flake on a speck.

The Internet Arguing checklist--for non-leftists

Post by Gallstones » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:59 am

Internet Arguing Checklist ~Larry Coreia 09.20.13
Do you ever find yourself arguing with liberals on the internet? Are you tired of people telling you about how awesome free healthcare is for the economy? Or how you should just shut up and pay your fair share because crack whores need iPhones too? Or how we should ban the super ultra-deadly assault rifle AR-15 shotgun Glock? Or been asked why do you hate old people, you cismale gendernormative fascist, hatey-McHaterton-hatey-hate-hatemongering racist?

Have you grown frustrated because arguing with the willfully ignorant is like repeatedly punching a really dumb cactus?

Well, I’ve prepared a handy checklist so you can accurately predict what your willfully ignorant statist will spout next! Have fun with this, as you can follow your friends arguments and play bingo with these. If you are new to internet debate, just find any kerfuffle on Facebook and see how long it takes for you to check most of these off. It is fun for the whole family!
But here’s the thing about rights. They’re not actually supposed to be voted on. That’s why they’re called rights. ~Rachel Maddow August 2010

The Second Amendment forms a fourth branch of government (an armed citizenry) in case the government goes mad. ~Larry Nutter

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: The Internet Arguing checklist--for non-leftists

Post by Animavore » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:54 am

Needs more straw.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:57 am

Yeah.

Fact: Progressives are smarter and better educated than Conservatives. So go fuck yourselves with claims of "ignorance". You'd struggle to find a more ignorant person on the planet than a republican, and even more so a republican tea bagger.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:32 am

Its unfair to argue that applies just to leftists. Most people, whatever their ideology seem to end up working with the same mechanics.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Animavore wrote:Needs more straw.
Doesn't he just. One of those ones with the little spoony bit on the end ... must be so useful for felching right up into that shit.

no fences

HomerJay

Post by HomerJay » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:56 pm

hai Gallstones :tea:

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:02 am

Any civilized nation should be judged on how it treats its weakest members. I also notice that countries with a welfare state become progressively less religious.
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:37 am

Conservatism is basically an ideology based around fear/hate of others. That's pretty much what it boils down to. If you, GS, want to be associated with that, then good luck to you.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Collector1337
About me: I am a satire of your stereotype about me.

Post by Collector1337 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:46 am

charlou wrote:
Doesn't he just. One of those ones with the little spoony bit on the end ... must be so useful for felching right up into that shit.

:funny:

Yep. Leftists are so smart, they don't even have a clue what kind of "straw" they're even talking about.

:fp:

So clueless.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Collector1337

Post by Collector1337 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:51 am

rEvolutionist wrote:Yeah.

Fact: Progressives are smarter and better educated than Conservatives. So go fuck yourselves with claims of "ignorance". You'd struggle to find a more ignorant person on the planet than a republican, and even more so a republican tea bagger.
I used to be a "progressive."

I went to graduate school. Did you?
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:28 am

I've got a number of post graduate qualifications, if that's what "graduate school" is. But I do so love a personal anecdote.

Collector1337

Post by Collector1337 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:47 am

rEvolutionist wrote:I've got a number of post graduate qualifications, if that's what "graduate school" is. But I do so love a personal anecdote.
Graduate school is a Master's, Ph.D., medical school, law school, etc.

So, I'll take that as a no.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:56 am

Isn't a Masters in the US a tinpot degree? A Masters here is at least 2 years of full on research/study. I was one subject away from getting my Masters, but took the next degree down as I got a good job before I finished it.

But once again, I'm not sure what personal anecdotes add to the discussion. :coffee:

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:28 am

Collector1337 wrote:
charlou wrote:

:funny:

Yep. Leftists are so smart, they don't even have a clue what kind of "straw" they're even talking about.

:fp:

So clueless.

The irony too subtle for you? Understandable, given it was further obscured by an old ratz in joke.
no fences

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:37 am

THE LEFT WING INTERNET ARGUING CHECKLIST

Skim until Offended
Disqualify that Opinion
Attack, Attack, Attack
Disregard Inconvenient facts
Make Shit Up
Resort to Moral Equivalency
Concern Trolling
When all else fails, Racism!
:hehe: Skim until offended, isn't that the truth. :hehe:
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.