Media Bias

Joe

Re: Media Bias

Post by Joe » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:48 am

Cunt wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:19 am
Trump was acquitted. Not in the media bias world, but in the world of facts and evidence available to the system of justice in charge.

But keep insisting the media isn't biased against Trump, with every attempt, there is a chance you will convince me.
Where did I say anything about Trump, or that I give a flying fuck about convincing you of anything? I'm more interested in what Hermit thinks.

It's funny how you can't seem to comprehend what people write, but make up horseshit to respond to.

Are you lying, or just trolling?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:23 am

How about both of the above?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:47 am

Hermit wrote:
  • 71% of White families lived in owner-occupied homes while
    45 % of Latinx families lived in owner-occupied homes and
    41 % of Black families lived in owner-occupied homes
  • $70,642 was the average family income of White people while
    $41,692 was the average family income of Black people
  • $171,000 was the median family net worth of White people while
    $17,150 was the median family net worth of Black people
  • Black child poverty rates are regularly triple white rates
  • Black unemployment is consistently almost double white unemployment
Those figures prove systematic inequality inflicted on 13% of the US population on account of being black. There's a word for that: racism. You dismiss this as unimportant?
Cunt wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:34 pm
I don't disagree with Hermits (or your) stats. I don't agree that unequal outcomes means what you think it means.
What do the unequal outcomes mean, Cunt? :bored:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:02 am

JimC wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:23 am
How about both of the above?
Of course, but he could just be semi-literate.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:40 am

Cunt wrote:
Trump was acquitted. Not in the media bias world, but in the world of facts and evidence available to the system of justice in charge.

But keep insisting the media isn't biased against Trump, with every attempt, there is a chance you will convince me.
:funny: The US Senate is not a court of law. You know that. What do you think you're going to achieve by impersonating a Trump bootlicker?

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:32 am

Cunt wrote:
In the world of facts and evidence Trump told the assembled crowd to stop the democratic process of installing the person who just won the presidential election into office. We have the video of the full speech. We have the transcript of the full speech. These are the words with which Trump ended his speech (at the 70:04 mark in the Wall Street Journal's video of the full speech and the 01:12:43 mark of the full transcript of it):
So we’re going to, we’re going to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue, I love Pennsylvania Avenue, and we’re going to the Capitol and we’re going to try and give… The Democrats are hopeless. They’re never voting for anything, not even one vote. But we’re going to try and give our Republicans, the weak ones, because the strong ones don’t need any of our help, we’re going to try and give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country.

Donald Trump: (01:13:19)
So let’s walk down Pennsylvania Avenue. I want to thank you all. God bless you and God bless America. Thank you all for being here, this is incredible. Thank you very much. Thank you.
The crowd smashed its way into the capitol and Trump said not a single word between the time he finished his speech and the time the crowd had left the capitol in the evening to stop the violence, and even after the crowd dispersed he did not condemn the violence of the people he told to "help" the "weak Republicans" to stop the democratic process of installing the person who just won the presidential election into office. In fact, the violence was part of the plan all along. On the 19th of December he tweeted: "Big protest in D.C. on January 6th. Be there, will be wild!"

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:57 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:40 am
Cunt wrote:

:funny: The US Senate is not a court of law. You know that. What do you think you're going to achieve by impersonating a Trump bootlicker?
Not at all a court of law. Since they don't have one they can use with evidence, why not use a biased media!

THEY will convince the court of public opinion! Just clip out the parts where he said things like 'peacefully and patriotically', and a gullible populace, who have been coached to say they hate Trump, will follow along.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:38 pm

Cunt wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:27 pm
rainbow wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:15 pm
Cunt wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:35 am
So I may be naive, but it is really what it sounds like. After seeing a real insurrection (in the reports of Afghanistan) it looks more and more like the events of Jan 6 were something MUCH less significant.
Trump negotiated this with the Taliban.

They learnt fro his mistakes
I don't believe you, with your record of fairness and sincerity. Many also believed in the insurrection being led by Trump, no matter how stupid it looks.
You believe Faux News and other extreme Right-Wing sources, so am I surprised?

:whisper: Not a fuck :whisper:

Trumpy was hoping for an Orange Revolution.
https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/u ... opolitics/

The only people that turned up were a bunch of misfits that ran away when they realised that the National Guard wasn't going to be on their side.
...not the popular uprising that Trump had expected to watch from the safety of the WH.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:08 pm

'extreme right-wing' lol

You need better name-calling. This being on repeat is starting to make you seem...unconvincing. I can't even believe you are bothered by Trump anymore.

At least you still have Biden, and with the media telling you he is good, it will be very easy to believe that he is better than Trump.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:38 pm

Cunt wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:08 pm
'extreme right-wing' lol

You need better name-calling. This being on repeat is starting to make you seem...unconvincing.
Don't be so sensitive. It's a description, not a pejorative.
Cunt wrote:
I can't even believe you are bothered by Trump anymore.
You like to trot that one out even though you're the one who keeps bringing him up. I guess you 'can't even believe' people are bothering to reply to your claims that Jan 6 wasn't a real insurrection because it failed (though we can still call it an attempted insurrection or a failed insurrection can't we?)?
Cunt wrote:
At least you still have Biden, and with the media telling you he is good, it will be very easy to believe that he is better than Trump.
Unlike the acolytes and minions of the former President being critical of one politician or party does not mean that you're automatically looking to suck the pudding of their nominated opponent. It's clearly too simple and simplistic to believe that if you're not for Trump then you must be for Biden - but you do seem to have that one on rinse and repeat don't you?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:23 pm

I think I would choose the new libertarian gang, over both the likely options combined.

In case you were curious, I mean.

The biased media, however, will do the same thing that won the last couple elections.

Trump didn't win, so much as Clinton LOST.

Biden didn't win, so much as Trump LOST.

Both examples seem to be people voting agianst someone, rather than for someone. Probably heated controversy sells more soap than the libertarian 'leave me alone please' pitch.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:42 pm

Apropos of nothing, I came across a short movie based on my favorite George Saunders essay, The Braindead Megaphone. This is one of my favorite parts, and nicely introduces the movie's antagonist

Meet Megaphone man.
Imagine a party. The guests, from all walks of life, are not negligible. They’ve been around: they’ve lived, suffered, own businesses, have real areas of expertise. They’re talking about things that interest them, giving and taking subtle correction. Certain submerged concerns are coming to the surface and — surprise, pleasant surprise — being confirmed and seconded and assuaged by other people who’ve been feeling the same way.

Then a guy walks in with a megaphone. He’s not the smartest person at the party, or the most experienced, or the most articulate. But he’s got that megaphone.

Say he starts talking about how much he loves early mornings in spring. What happens? Well, people turn to listen. It would be hard not to. It’s only polite. And soon, in their small groups, the guests may find themselves talking about early spring mornings. Or, more correctly, about the validity of Megaphone Guy’s ideas about early spring mornings. Some are agreeing with him, some disagreeing — but because he’s so loud, their conversations will begin to react to what he’s saying. As he changes topics, so do they. If he continually uses the phrase “at the end of the day,” they start using it too. If he weaves into his arguments the assumption that the west side of the room is preferable to the east, a slow westward drift will begin.

These responses are predicated not on his intelligence, his unique experience of the world, his powers of contemplation, or his ability with language, but on the volume and omnipresence of his narrating voice.

His main characteristic is his dominance. He crowds the other voices out. His rhetoric becomes the central rhetoric because of its unavoidability.

In time, Megaphone Guy will ruin the party. The guests will stop believing in their value as guests, and come to see their main role as reactors-to-the-Guy. They’ll stop doing what guests are supposed to do: keep the conversation going per their own interests and concerns. They’ll become passive, stop believing in the validity of their own impressions. They may not even notice they’ve started speaking in his diction, that their thoughts are being limned by his. What’s important to him will come to seem important to them.

We’ve said Megaphone Guy isn’t the smartest, or most articulate, or most experienced person at the party — but what if the situation is even worse than this?

Let’s say he hasn’t carefully considered the things he’s saying. He’s basically just blurting things out. And even with the megaphone, he has to shout a little to be heard, which limits the complexity of what he can say. Because he feels he has to be entertaining, he jumps from topic to topic, favoring the conceptual-general (“We’re eating more cheese cubes — and loving it!”), the anxiety-or controversy-provoking (“Wine running out due to shadowy conspiracy?”), the gossipy (“Quickie rumored in south bathroom!”), and the trivial (“Which quadrant of the party room do YOU prefer?”).

We consider speech to be the result of thought (we have a thought, then select a sentence with which to express it), but thought also results from speech (as we grope, in words, toward meaning, we discover what we think). This yammering guy has, by forcibly putting his restricted language into the heads of the guests, affected the quality and coloration of the thoughts going on in there.

He has, in effect, put an intelligence-ceiling on the party.

and if you ever see me call a news story "dog crap in a bowl," you'll know where the phrase comes from. :{D

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:04 pm

:biggrin:

--now do the man with a gun...

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:20 pm

I'll leave that for you, pardner. :wumbo:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:31 pm

:hehe: