Murray sits out Sunday for Scots ... because of God

Holy Crap!
Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Re: Murray sits out Sunday for Scots ... because of God

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:43 pm

klr wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:Though shalt not play rugby on the sabbath? Where does it say that in the babble? Let's look...

Though shalt not pass the lord thy ball forwards.
Though shalt not gouge thy neighbours eye, his groin, his ears, or anything that is thy neighbours.
Honour thy referee and thy line-judges that your days may be long in the game.
Thou shalt not kick for touch in vain.
What happeneth in thy scrum shalt stay in thy scrum...

Nothing about not playing games on a Sunday there. :dono:

Besides, Scotland would have lost in any case - the frogs were the much better team.
There's something in the Life of Brian about not taking things literally. :mod:

:lol:

Seriously though: He's a professional, so this is work. In which case he had to know from the outset that as a professional sports person, there will always be a number of times a year his team will be called upon to play on a Sunday. He ought to find another line of work, and stop whining ... :boohoo:
The fucking pope works on a Sunday! If he can, so can anyone. :biggrin:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:47 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
klr wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:Though shalt not play rugby on the sabbath? Where does it say that in the babble? Let's look...

Though shalt not pass the lord thy ball forwards.
Though shalt not gouge thy neighbours eye, his groin, his ears, or anything that is thy neighbours.
Honour thy referee and thy line-judges that your days may be long in the game.
Thou shalt not kick for touch in vain.
What happeneth in thy scrum shalt stay in thy scrum...

Nothing about not playing games on a Sunday there. :dono:

Besides, Scotland would have lost in any case - the frogs were the much better team.
There's something in the Life of Brian about not taking things literally. :mod:

:lol:

Seriously though: He's a professional, so this is work. In which case he had to know from the outset that as a professional sports person, there will always be a number of times a year his team will be called upon to play on a Sunday. He ought to find another line of work, and stop whining ... :boohoo:
The fucking pope works on a Sunday! If he can, so can anyone. :biggrin:
One more reason for the Born-Again crowd to despise the Catholic Church. But then Catholics have always been prepared to bend the rules about working and other activity on a Sunday when it suited them. Our own Gaelic games have traditionally been played on a Sunday, and no-one in Holy Catholic Ireland batted an eyelid about keeping the Sabbath day holy and all that jazz. :lol:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

The Dawktor
International Man of Misery
About me: Deep down, I'm pretty superficial!
Now we know!

Post by The Dawktor » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:57 am

I shall deprive this dipshit of the Oxygen of publicity- or maybe just the Oxygen of breathing! :roll:
Bella Fortuna wrote::dance: You know you love it you dirty bitch!
devogue wrote:Actually, I am a very, very, stupid man.
Pappa wrote: I even ran upstairs and climbed into bed once, the second I pulled the duvet over me I suddenly felt very silly and sheepish, so I went back downstairs.

klr

Post by klr » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:06 pm

The Dawktor wrote:I shall deprive this dipshit of the Oxygen of publicity- or maybe just the Oxygen of breathing! :roll:
Or in the case of his Scottish team, the oxygen of winning. :whistle:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

The Dawktor
International Man of Misery
About me: Deep down, I'm pretty superficial!
Now we know!

Post by The Dawktor » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:23 am

klr wrote:
The Dawktor wrote:I shall deprive this dipshit of the Oxygen of publicity- or maybe just the Oxygen of breathing! :roll:
Or in the case of his Scottish team, the oxygen of winning. :whistle:
:biggrin: :clap: :tup:
Bella Fortuna wrote::dance: You know you love it you dirty bitch!
devogue wrote:Actually, I am a very, very, stupid man.
Pappa wrote: I even ran upstairs and climbed into bed once, the second I pulled the duvet over me I suddenly felt very silly and sheepish, so I went back downstairs.

wtargentina

Post by wtargentina » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:34 pm

Unfortunately he is one of the best scrummagers on the face of the planet and without him Scotland are a much weaker team.

What is most depressing about the whole shenanigans is the number of his colleagues and commentators who have come out and said that they really respect his decision. It would have been much more helpful if they had come out and said what a pillock he was being and it would be more sensible for him not to live his life based on some ancient mythology.

Pombolo
About me: is a miasma of sun-faded hopes and sharply honed skepticism.

Post by Pombolo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:22 pm

Fuck him. This really gets my rag, since we know if he said that he wants to be exempt due to his belief that the aliens will be angry with him for playing on a Sunday - he would be ignored. Possibly threatened with disciplinary action. But when it is one of the 'real' religions: "We respect his views".

No, no you shouldn't. It reminds me of the story about people in Australia who were beginning to follow the teachings of the Greek gods, and affirming that they absolutely believed in them. Who were the first people to ridicule such religious beliefs? You got it, the Abrahamic trio - the ones who insist that they should be respected in every day life.

This tool is only getting away with this becuase it is Christianity: not because of 'respect'.

210karman
About me: I'm an atheist

Post by 210karman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:44 pm

I support Northampton Saints. Now I wonder if he chose our club because of the name? :D (Luckily it's a Saturday when we play Munster in the Heineken Cup Quarter finals in Limerick).

klr

Post by klr » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:13 pm

bump ... because he's still whining:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_u ... 016776.stm
Devout Euan Murray questions Sunday matches

The Glasgow-born prop, 31, has chosen to prioritise his faith this weekend, meaning he will miss Scotland's Pool B clash with Argentina on Sunday.

"I don't see why there have to be games on Sundays," said Murray. "I hope things will change in future."

Geoff Cross will replace Murray, who has been dubbed by Scotland coach Andy Robinson as "the best scrummager".

Murray will hope that he has done enough in previous matches to get his place in the team back for next week's match against England, which takes place on a Saturday.

Back in 2008, Murray did play on a Sunday when Scotland took on France in the Six Nations.

But, after his faith deepened, he announced a year later that he would no longer be available for selection on Sundays.

At the time he said: "It's basically all or nothing, following Jesus. I don't believe in pick 'n' mix Christianity. I believe the Bible is the word of God, so who am I to ignore something from it?

"I might as well tear out that page then keep tearing out pages as and when it suits me. If I started out like that there would soon be nothing left.

"I want to live my life believing and doing the things (God) wants and the Sabbath day is a full day.

"It's not a case of a couple of hours in church then playing rugby or going down the pub, it's the full day."

Murray is not the first sportsman to be pull out of events because of his faith, one of the best-known being Eric Liddell who felt compelled to pull out of the heats for the 100m at the 1924 Olympics.

After finding out the schedule well in advance he decided to practise doing the 400m and subsequently won the gold medal, breaking both the Olympic and World records.

More recently, triple jumper Jonathan Edwards missed the 1991 World Championships. After much deliberation he changed his mind two years later, just in time for qualifying, and went on to win bronze.

Should Scotland finish as runners-up in pool B, Murray would also miss the quarter-final and then possibly the semi-final, a similar situation to the one New Zealand star Michael Jones found himself in back in 1987 and 1991.

He was eventually omitted from the 1995 squad because he would have missed both the last-eight and last-four matches.
:boohoo:

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:46 am

I hope that Cross turns out to be a revelation and the Scotland coach has an epiphany and crucifies Murray for his pious sabbathing! :airwank:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:11 am

It's basically all or nothing, following Jesus. I don't believe in pick 'n' mix Christianity. I believe the Bible is the word of God, so who am I to ignore something from it?

I might as well tear out that page then keep tearing out pages as and when it suits me. If I started out like that there would soon be nothing left.
Well, Euan Murray, start collecting rocks to stone rape victims to death with. No pick 'n' mix Christianity, remember?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:14 am

Seraph wrote:
It's basically all or nothing, following Jesus. I don't believe in pick 'n' mix Christianity. I believe the Bible is the word of God, so who am I to ignore something from it?

I might as well tear out that page then keep tearing out pages as and when it suits me. If I started out like that there would soon be nothing left.
Well, Euan Murray, start collecting rocks to stone rape victims to death with. No pick 'n' mix Christianity, remember?
Better hope he's not wearing cotton/polyester mix, hasn't any tattoos and that he's checked the age of every bush used to produce anything he's ever eaten!

Twat. :roll:
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:36 am

Perhaps he should consider a different career.

leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
About me: Combat robot builder

Post by leo-rcc » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:25 am

The Sabbath is not on Sunday but Saturday, the twat. Sunday services did not start until >300 ad.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:13 am

I don't believe in pick 'n' mix christianity either...

Give me that old time religion, you can pin it against the wall and kick the shit out of it, unlike the warnm and fuzzy kind that is all things to all men...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!