Women More Religious Than Men

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator
About me: Trying to avoid existential despair.

Women More Religious Than Men

Post by Existentialist1844 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:04 am

A new analysis of survey data finds women pray more often then men, are more likely to believe in God, and are more religious than men in a variety of other ways.

The reasons, analysts say, could range from traditional mothering duties to the tendency of men to take risks — in this case the chance they might not go to heaven.

The latest findings, released Friday, are no surprise, only confirming what other studies have found for decades. Still, the new numbers illustrate interesting and stark differences. They come from a fresh review of data that was collected in a 2007 survey and initially released last year by the Pew Research Center. The percent of women (and then men) who:

Are affiliated with a religion: 86 (79).
Have absolutely certain belief in a God or universal spirit: 77 (65).
Pray at least daily: 66 (49).
Have absolutely certain belief in a personal God: 58 (45).
The survey involved interviews with more than 35,000 U.S. adults by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life.

George H. Gallup, Jr., in an analysis for the Gallup polling organization back in 2002, wrote that the differences in religiosity between men and women have been shown consistently across the previous seven decades of polls.

"A mountain of Gallup survey data attests to the idea that women are more religious than men, hold their beliefs more firmly, practice their faith more consistently, and work more vigorously for the congregation," Gallup wrote.

Among the reasons women tend to be more religious, he says:

Mothers have tended to spend more time raising children, which often means overseeing their involvement in church activities.
Though two-income households are more common today, in the past women often had more flexible daily schedules, permitting more church involvement during the week.
Women tend to be more open about sharing personal problems and are more relational than men. Other Gallup research shows a higher proportion of women than men say they have a "best friend" in their congregation, he wrote.
Lastly, Gallup argued, "More so than men, women lean toward an empirical [depending on experience or observation] rather than a rational basis for faith."

There may be another reason. Rodney Stark, a professor of sociology and comparative religion at the University of Washington, flips the question around: Why are men less religious?

"Studies of biochemistry imply that both male irreligiousness and male lawlessness are rooted in the fact that far more males than females have an underdeveloped ability to inhibit their impulses, especially those involving immediate gratification and thrills," Stark argued in a 2002 paper in the Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion.

The upshot is that some men are shortsighted and don't think ahead, Stark said, and so "going to prison or going to hell just doesn't matter to these men."

Stark may have purposely overstated the case, but you get the point. My wife suggested another reason: Life is simply harder for women. While I can't argue with that, I also can't find any research connecting that to prayer or church attendance.
"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

:pounce:

soul_biscuit
Atmospheric Anomaly

Re: Women More Religious Than Men

Post by soul_biscuit » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:22 am

Nice article!

I want to hear what people here think of this. Is the fact that women are on average more religious than men a cultural artifact, or are there some evolutionary psychology-esque explanations?

I myself have no idea. I would say something chauvinistic like "Women evolved staying at home and tending the pots and pans, while men evolved doing important things like bludgeoning dinner," but I'm a feminist so I would never say that.
"It is who is right, not what is right, that is of importance." - Thomas Huxley, updated for the Internet

BrettA
Master Muff and Lube Guru

Post by BrettA » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:40 am

No surprizes here. At least one primary reason seems obvious to me... The fact that most or all religions have treated women so fairly and equitably throughout the centuries is likely at the root of this phenomenon - and even that doesn't quite do justice to the exaulted position that women hold over we menial men in the eyes of religions and the religious. As a man of course, I find this somewhat disturbing, but what woman wouldn't treat religion more seriously than a man in light of this profound reverence towards them?

“To no form of religion is woman indebted for one impulse of freedom.” -- Susan B Anthony

“Every injustice that has ever been fastened upon women in a Christian country has been "authorized by the Bible" and riveted and perpetuated by the pulpit.” -- Helen H Gardener

“The Bible and the Church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of women’s emancipation.” – Elizabeth Cady Stanton

“The religious persecution of the ages has been done under what was claimed to be the command of God.” -- Susan B Anthony
"It's just a fact: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F!"

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:06 am

It's because women are more inclined to woo.
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:07 am

born-again-atheist wrote:It's because women are more inclined to woo.
You are correct. Females tend to believe in ghosts, aliens, psychics, etc, more than men do. We can throw religion in there. But why?
"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:10 am

Less rational, more emotional.

Could have something to do with being the primary care takers (and thus story tellers) of children.
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

soul_biscuit
Atmospheric Anomaly

Post by soul_biscuit » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:11 am

born-again-atheist wrote:Less rational, more emotional.

Could have something to do with being the primary care takers (and thus story tellers) of children.
It sounds reasonable, but I have to wonder whether the difference is primarily innate or due to culture.
"It is who is right, not what is right, that is of importance." - Thomas Huxley, updated for the Internet

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:13 am

Combination of both.

You don't need any science to tell you that biologically women are prone to fits of wild emotional mood swings.

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:22 am

soul_biscuit wrote:

It sounds reasonable, but I have to wonder whether the difference is primarily innate or due to culture.
This related to the other thread I posted (on aggression). IMO, it is a mixture of both (as BAA stated), with an emphasis on innateness. Environment will act on biology, and elicit behaviors that are already hardwired. Its like alcoholism. Some people have the genetic predisposition to become an alcoholic, but not everyone with that predisposition becomes an alcoholic. Whats the difference? Environment.

Kristie
Elastigirl
About me: From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere!

Post by Kristie » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:30 am

As a female, this makes a lot of sense to me.
We danced.

soul_biscuit
Atmospheric Anomaly

Post by soul_biscuit » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:32 am

FIO wrote:

I was hoping a female would weigh in!

What do you make of the innate vs. cultural side of it?

Kristie
Elastigirl

Post by Kristie » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:44 am

soul_biscuit wrote:
FIO wrote:

I was hoping a female would weigh in!

What do you make of the innate vs. cultural side of it?
I definitely think it's a combination of the two. Probably more innate than cultural.
We danced.

soul_biscuit
Atmospheric Anomaly

Post by soul_biscuit » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:07 am

Maybe it's my bleeding heart liberal PC upbringing, but I have a hard time with the idea that the greater religiosity of women is more innate than cultural.

I guess the answer is to look at surveys around the world. If such surveys have been conducted in many different places, in the East as well as the West and among indigenous peoples as well as among industrialized cultures, and women usually turn up more religious than men, that would be powerful evidence that the greater religiosity of women is due to some innate tendency or another.

Kristie
Elastigirl

Post by Kristie » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:18 am

soul_biscuit wrote:Maybe it's my bleeding heart liberal PC upbringing, but I have a hard time with the idea that the greater religiosity of women is more innate than cultural.

I guess the answer is to look at surveys around the world. If such surveys have been conducted in many different places, in the East as well as the West and among indigenous peoples as well as among industrialized cultures, and women usually turn up more religious than men, that would be powerful evidence that the greater religiosity of women is due to some innate tendency or another.
Exi, find us a study that proves this.....
We danced.

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:20 am

FIO wrote:
soul_biscuit wrote:Maybe it's my bleeding heart liberal PC upbringing, but I have a hard time with the idea that the greater religiosity of women is more innate than cultural.

Exi, find us a study that proves this.....
Its too late and Im too tired! :( :tup: