RDF Front Page

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
j.mills
About me: Just this guy, ya know?

Re: RDF Front Page

Post by j.mills » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:06 pm

Ilovelucy wrote:Yep, the FP looks awful, even before you look at the narcissistic pricks posting there.
I resent that. :evil:

- Narcissistic prick.

No but really. It was a two-cultures thing. I'm increasingly of the opinion that you wouldn't value the forum if you hadn't spent time in it. Josh and RD didn't, and neither did most of the front-pagers. This talk of the FP receiving far more traffic than the forum: well, the front page is AT THE FRONT! Many front-page lurkers and posters often had no idea there even WAS a forum, much less comprehend its extent, depth and diversity. Had it been more prominently advertised on the front page, it would have been visited much more (though it still had faaaaaaar more actual contributing participation).
Written by an organic self-organising irreversible dynamic non-linear open dissipative system far from thermal equilibrium.
Try: Brainfood: Dennett/Ridley/Hofstadter; Music: Yes/Glass/Vangelis;
Fiction: John Crowley/Helprin/Hoban/Priest/GRR Martin/Egan/Pinto/G Joyce/J Whitbourn/My short stories.

lpetrich

Post by lpetrich » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:12 pm

Ilovelucy wrote:Yep, the FP looks awful, even before you look at the narcissistic pricks posting there. It looks like the bedroom wall of a homicidal Dawkins stalker.
So it looks like some big personality cult of Richard Dawkins? I used my Mad-Libs version of a Hymn to Stalin to construct
Thank you, Richard Dawkins. Thank you because I am joyful. Thank you because I am well. No matter how old I become, I shall never forget how we received Richard Dawkins two days ago. ...

Ilovelucy

Post by Ilovelucy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:13 pm

j.mills wrote:
Ilovelucy wrote:Yep, the FP looks awful, even before you look at the narcissistic pricks posting there.
I resent that. :evil:

- Narcissistic prick.

No but really. It was a two-cultures thing. I'm increasingly of the opinion that you wouldn't value the forum if you hadn't spent time in it. Josh and RD didn't, and neither did most of the front-pagers. This talk of the FP receiving far more traffic than the forum: well, the front page is AT THE FRONT! Many front-page lurkers and posters often had no idea there even WAS a forum, much less comprehend its extent, depth and diversity. Had it been more prominently advertised on the front page, it would have been visited much more (though it still had faaaaaaar more actual contributing participation).
Yeah, my motors are beginning to slow down so I'm probably going to regret a fair few things, including the narcissistic pricks thing. I apologise, but the gloating got to me. :td:
Forums are interesting and if you don't agree, you can fuck off.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:07 pm

It would appear that most of the comments have been deleted. Not just shunted to the "alternate" comment thread, but airbrushed from history. Suppresses urge to make Stalinist reference ... oh bugger. :lol:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

wtargentina

Post by wtargentina » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:25 pm

Personally I liked the front page and I liked the forum. But I'm not a techie so don't understand what the underlying problems are/were.

kiki5711
Forever with Ekwok

Post by kiki5711 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:28 pm

I don't give a shit what happens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

back to having fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfvJOL1gpic&feature=fvw[/youtube]

fredbear

Post by fredbear » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:05 pm

just had a look at the fp.

http://richarddawkins.net/articleCommen ... e36#464162

methinks the message is getting through.bonzai originally was scathing about the forum..now this;

1766. Comment #464129 by Bonzai on February 26, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Just to test whether I have been deleted.

OK, I am still here.

I think this Stalinist tactic of deleting posts is simply petty and reflects badly on the power that be (and ultimately on RD himself as the site bears his name). Look, the story has hit the news, heated debates and discussions are happening all over the internet. Even over at PZ's there is a whole thread on it.

I don't know what can be achieved by censoring people here. It is not as if you can cover it up by deleting posts or taking it off people's mind. It serves no purpose except to highlight the pettiness of those who made the decision to delete.

The demise of the forum is a big thing on RD.net. Naturally we are concerned. The posts that have been deleted here were very civil and measured. They were rather short and there were only a few of them. Many of them were only asking questions. If even that cannot be allowed to survive on this OT thread it only appears to confirm the allegations against the system admins and perhaps RD himself about their heavy handed approach to the forum.

Yes, it is RD's website and he can do whatever he wants with it. But it is the users and the volunteers who make a site a vibrant and lively place. The internet is littered with sites where no one ever knows or visits, the owners of these sites can act like kings of their domains, but I am not sure that is the way RD wants.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:08 pm

Good :tup:. I hope the front page regulars do get the message. It is ultimately in their own best interests to at least know what's going on.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

95Theses

Post by 95Theses » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:10 pm

And now the rest are jumping in too.

They saw our posts, they were perfectly rational and reasonable, and they all got deleted.

If you notice, the general consensus is swinging the way of the forum now the front page is getting moderated to pieces too.

What to do, Mr Timonen? what to do?
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell.

Banzai!

Post by Banzai! » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:16 pm

meh

j.mills
About me: Just this guy, ya know?

Post by j.mills » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:29 pm

I've posted on the BBC one - not least because it was as misrepresentative as the rest of the coverage... :roll:
Written by an organic self-organising irreversible dynamic non-linear open dissipative system far from thermal equilibrium.
Try: Brainfood: Dennett/Ridley/Hofstadter; Music: Yes/Glass/Vangelis;
Fiction: John Crowley/Helprin/Hoban/Priest/GRR Martin/Egan/Pinto/G Joyce/J Whitbourn/My short stories.

Banzai!

Post by Banzai! » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:41 pm

indeed it was, unfortunately they all read the misleading announcement first and then tar us with that brush
meh

Surendra Darathy
About me: I am only human. Keep in mind, I am Russian. And is no part of speech in Russian equivalent to definite article in English. Bad enough is no present tense of verb "to be".

Post by Surendra Darathy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:58 pm

Gloating? There was gloating? What is on teh interwebz besides "community" that is not "gloating"?

I mean, I have as much as given up a web search for "information" outside of a "community I trust". By the same token, when I want to gloat, I want my community about me. If I am being "gloated on", what better than community to soften the blow?

Anyway, how is "gloating" even possible without a community within which to gloat?

There. I think I've damaged the string "gloat" beyond its capacity to carry any semantics! Whee!
I'll get you, my pretty, and your little God, too!

Ilovelucy

Post by Ilovelucy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:01 pm

Surendra Darathy wrote:Gloating? There was gloating? What is on teh interwebz besides "community" that is not "gloating"?

I mean, I have as much as given up a web search for "information" outside of a "community I trust". By the same token, when I want to gloat, I want my community about me. If I am being "gloated on", what better than community to soften the blow?

Anyway, how is "gloating" even possible without a community in which to gloat?

There. I think I've damaged the string "gloat" beyond its capacity to carry any semantics! Whee!
Would that be in response to me? I only speak lower intermediate smartarse-ese I'm afraid.
Forums are interesting and if you don't agree, you can fuck off.

Nickel
About me: What can I say - I'm a talented individual

Post by Nickel » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:05 pm

BBC link posted by Banzai! wrote:He says the nastiness of comments added to the site is a sign of "something rotten in the internet culture".
Professor Dawkins leads an amazingly sheltered life for the public enemy number 2 of all theists everywhere (Aside from Satan, who isn't real). I'd say (And I speak with some authority on these matters, having once voted myself Lord of All The Internet) that any rational, civil, polite conversation on the internet is the exception and not the norm. And this has academic backing behind it.

Of course, his unruly chimp Josh T hasn't exactly helped that. For Richard to now turn around and talk about shit being "rotten" when he can't even go to the difficulty of finding out what we're all so bloody mad about perhaps reflects more poorly on him than it does on us.
Capture Jesus and take his super-powers!