this is hugely embarrassing for regular atheists

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Fred Kite

Re: this is hugely embarrassing for regular atheists

Post by Fred Kite » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:58 pm

goodboyCerberus wrote:
Fred Kite wrote:Richard dawkins said, before the kerfuffle that he wanted to eradicate the sort of bile that was appearing on the forum...the sort of bile that moderators were supposed to clean up and moderate.
They did, though. In their spare time. Without pay or, often, acknowledgment from the top.

Richard Dawkins has proven to be inept when it came to the regular content of the forum. Yeah, there was some garbage. But its the fucking Internet, what do you expect?
so you would argue that Richard should not have written books about science and gone around the world debunking religion and instead spend all his time clearing up what the moderators were supposed to be clearing up?

Heresiarch
About me: Formerly known as Heresiarch.

Post by Heresiarch » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:59 pm

pawiz wrote:I'm not embarrassed as I am an irregular atheist, so I don't count
Irregular atheism is much better anyway, you get to eat babies and hate God.
The Hell Law says that Hell is reserved exclusively for them that
believe in it. Further, the lowest Rung in Hell is reserved for them that
believe in it on the supposition that they'll go there if they don't.
-- Honest Book of Truth; The Gospel According to Fred, 3:1

wtargentina

Post by wtargentina » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:59 pm

Fred Kite wrote:
ED209 wrote: Jesus Christ Fred, do you really not understand that the bile was posted here - on a forum completely unconnected to Richard Dawkins - and even then only after the RDF mods had been sacked, thousands of posts deleted, and the RDF forum closed? How do you imagine that is controlled by the mods of RDF?

If you want to know why people aren't really liking you much, you might reflect that you continue to belittle the thousands of hours of tireless and unpaid work the mods for Dawkins' contributed to that site only to be completely erased by Dawkins' IT monkey. Why not go ask your 'psychology pal' about that aspect to your behaviour, he might be able to diagnose you off-the-cuff as well.
why are you twisting what I'm saying?

Richard dawkins said, before the kerfuffle that he wanted to eradicate the sort of bile that was appearing on the forum...the sort of bile that moderators were supposed to clean up and moderate.

Okums razor stuff, ED209. if the moderators had of kept the forum civil, richard would have been delighted with it.

I didn't come in here to be liked. I came in here to voice my opinion. if you don't agree with that. Fine. That's all well and good. but to disagree and then throw insults at me is precisely the sort of bile that richard dawkins didn't like.
How come you know so much about how Richard felt about the forum? The quotes from him about the forum seem to be positive.

Have you been briefed to come here and speak for Richard?

Fred Kite

Post by Fred Kite » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:02 pm

jd wrote:
Fred Kite wrote:
jd wrote:The Moderators did do an excellent job there
Oh really? Then why was the forum such a headache for richard? if the moderators had of done a great job there wouldn't be a problem.
The original decision to change the system was not based on "problematic" behaviour of users, but simply the cost of maintainance, since the huge number of users and the volume of traffic was an indication of the success of the boards (and of the moderation).

You've constantly demonstrated, not only your ignorance of what has happened, but also of your unwillingness to learn or accept what actually did. Wilful ignorance is the worst sort of ignorance.
what's with the insults?

Can't you have a civil discussion without resorting to insults?

Bandwidth issues and affecting other areas of the site, was a consideration (it was affecting the fron page, the shop for example), but it wasn't the only consideration. I know for a fact that richard was very unhappy with SOME of the stuff going on in the forum.

The stuff moderators were responsible for clearing up.

jd

Post by jd » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:02 pm

"Okum" is an interesting spelling, by the way - not seen that one before.

Grammar, spelling, logic. All consistently of the same standard.
"Wooberish" - a neologism for woo expressed in gibberish.

goodboyCerberus
About me: They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Post by goodboyCerberus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:05 pm

Fred Kite wrote:
Richard wanted somewhere people could go to exchange ideas in a civil manner.
The moderators obviously failed in their task to keep things civil. Richard obviously said enough is enough and the rest, as they say, is history.
Have any evidence of that?

He had a place for that, but didn't understand the way the Internet works:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19/

Compare anything from RDF to YouTube comments, and come back here and continue this line of argument. I double-dog dare you.

(BTW: The Earth and Moon both orbit a center of mass roughly 3/4ths of the way from the center of the Earth to the surface. The more you know!)
Charity Navigator - "Find a charity you can trust."

Fred Kite

Post by Fred Kite » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:06 pm

jd wrote:"Okum" is an interesting spelling, by the way - not seen that one before.

Grammar, spelling, logic. All consistently of the same standard.
yes. I meant ockhams razor.

What's with the insults by the way?

Are you unable to contribute something to the discussion in a civil manner...or do you have a problem?

Heresiarch
About me: Formerly known as Heresiarch.

Post by Heresiarch » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:06 pm

jd wrote:"Okum" is an interesting spelling, by the way - not seen that one before.
Okum All Ye Faithful.
The Hell Law says that Hell is reserved exclusively for them that
believe in it. Further, the lowest Rung in Hell is reserved for them that
believe in it on the supposition that they'll go there if they don't.
-- Honest Book of Truth; The Gospel According to Fred, 3:1

Fred Kite

Post by Fred Kite » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:07 pm

goodboyCerberus wrote:Compare anything from RDF to YouTube comments, and come back here and continue this line of argument. I double-dog dare you.
Why should I?

What does it prove?

wtargentina

Post by wtargentina » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:08 pm

Pock sucket anyone?

goodboyCerberus
About me: They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Post by goodboyCerberus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:09 pm

Fred Kite wrote:
goodboyCerberus wrote:Compare anything from RDF to YouTube comments, and come back here and continue this line of argument. I double-dog dare you.
Why should I?

What does it prove?
That the horrible state of affairs you insist warranted the dismantling of a huge forum is actually par for the course, there are worse places, the mods were doing their best to keep things under control, and technical issues were really the main reason excuse for the forum overhaul.
Last edited by goodboyCerberus on Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charity Navigator - "Find a charity you can trust."

DaveD

Post by DaveD » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:10 pm

Fred Kite wrote:
Why should I?

What does it prove?
Well, this post of yours seems to prove that your mind is closed to any argument.

Randydeluxe
Filled With Aloha
About me: Ua mau ke ea o ka 'aina i ka pono.
Location: SoCal. Previously Honolulu, HI. Previously Vancouver, BC. Sometimes Austin, TX.

Post by Randydeluxe » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Definitely a pock sucket.

The act of popping up with the sole intention of insulting the mods and their excellent work, then turning around and screeching "Why are you insulting me back??!" is pretty funny to behold, though.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:12 pm

Fred Kite wrote:
tytalus wrote:Well, now it all makes sense. It was a site for fans of Richard Dawkins. It was demolished for failure to be mere fandom, and will now be returned to that state, as is his right.

Thanks Fred, I'll try to be less vicious, vindictive, rabid and whining in the future. After all, that's what a True Atheist would do. You're quite right; they wouldn't insult a flea.

:sarcend:
what's with the childish sarcasm?
It's fair comment via the useful tool of irony. Wasted on you, is it?
Fred Kite wrote:It was not demolished for failure to be mere fandom. It was a pain in the neck for richard dawkins because of the amount of bile on there.[/b]
Please cite your sources for this.
Fred Kite wrote:Richard wanted somewhere people could go to exchange ideas in a civil manner. The moderators obviously failed in their task to keep things civil. Richard obviously said enough is enough and the rest, as they say, is history.

While this may be "obvious" to you, it was not the observable reality.
no fences

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:14 pm

This thread is hugely embarrassing for regular atheists. Or should that be frustrating? :roll:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob: