this is hugely embarrassing for regular atheists

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Fred Kite

Re: this is hugely embarrassing for regular atheists

Post by Fred Kite » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:12 pm

wtargentina wrote:Why does Fred keep insisting angry people have aspergers syndrome?
FFS> Why are you twisting things?

I NEVER SAID that angry people have aspergers syndrome.

here's what I quoted (I've emboldened the text) from a pal:

..it's fascinating, more from an anthropological point of view than a psychological point of view because you're dealing with a group of people here but there is clearly some symptoms of aspergers being displayed in the comments on the guardian and the times. Richard and his team needs to tread very carefully now. The reaction is so exceptionally personal and vicious it suggests that it doesn't matter now who was right and who was wrong....it appears to me that the source of the anger is because many of these people became addicted/obsessed with the forum and spent a huge amount of time there. That's not Dawkins' fault but there are parallels with how some people get obsessed with religion.....in my opinion he is doing the right thing to shut it down and change it to be fully moderated....

bye.

Kristie
Elastigirl
About me: From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere!

Post by Kristie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:13 pm

Fred Kite wrote:
I don't think i'll be hanging around here Charlou. but thanks anyway. it's too much like the old richard dawkins forum.
We're really nothing like that forum. Venture outside this sections of the forum, and you'll find lots of people playing games, having off topic discussions, some serious discussions, and lots and lots of fun. It's nowhere near as serious as RDF and nowhere near as big.
We danced.

Paul1

Post by Paul1 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Blah blah blah. Who cares what Dead Fred says? This is a war of emotional appeal vs the logic of the ex-members. He's probably Richard under the guise of an anonymous name.

It's basically Richard Dawkins: "I spend all day fighting theists who call me all sorts of things, but when a few Atheists dispute with me, I focus on all the stupid insults, shut down the forum and cry in the corner, accusing the majority of the insults of a minority"

Sorry Richard... I don't do emotional appeal. Be a human and do the moral thing.

EDIT: Apologias for being obsessed with not believing in anything.
Last edited by Paul1 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:15 pm

Fred Kite wrote:
Peter Brown wrote: Richard had a winning formula in his old site, but he dropped the ball and so others will indeed pick it up.
I couldn't leave without responding to that.

The 300lb gorilla in the room are the voluunteer moderators who clearly failed in their task of sustaining the forum properly. if they had of managed the forum correctly, there wouldn't be a problem. Richard would have been delighted with his forum, instead of being disgusted with SOME of the bile being posted there.

I'm not saying that josh and richard are blameless in all this, but, it's disingenuous and irrational in the extreme to suggest that it's al their fault. It's even more disingenuous to defend the sort of bile and vicious personal attacks directed at richard/josh.

I'm outta here.
You've just got to love assertions which not only have no evidence going for them, but also run contrary to all the available evidence. :roll:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Luis Dias

Post by Luis Dias » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:16 pm

Fred Kite wrote:...it's fascinating, more from an anthropological point of view than a psychological point of view because you're dealing with a group of people here but there is clearly some symptoms of aspergers being displayed in the comments on the guardian and the times. Richard and his team needs to tread very carefully now. The reaction is so exceptionally personal and vicious it suggests that it doesn't matter now who was right and who was wrong....it appears to me that the source of the anger is because many of these people became addicted/obsessed with the forum and spent a huge amount of time there. That's not Dawkins' fault but there are parallels with how some people get obsessed with religion.....in my opinion he is doing the right thing to shut it down and change it to be fully moderated....
This is 1) condescending, 2)unsubstantiated, 3) fucknuttery arrogant.

Way to go, Fred, just call us all mentally ill, that's the way to win a fucking audience.
I'm not taken aback by people acting irrationally...I'm familiar with the gang mentality from the Richard Dawkins forum. I'm dismayed that they claim to be and are being presented as the "largest online atheist community". It just offers another excuse for those to treat atheism as a dirty word when in truth, it's just a small minority directing vicious and personal attacks on richard dawkins & josh timonen.
There you go again. This obsession smacks of Aspergers'.... just sayin.
However, I sense the same sort of gang mentality here.....and it's making me angry, so I think I'll leave you guys to it. I've said my piece.
Yes, you should be more careful. In no time, you are making vicious and personal attacks... like calling people obsessed, mentally ill, and religious fanatics!?

Fucking A, mate. :Erasb:
the old forum is gone. stop worrying and enjoy our life.
You're not helping in doing that. Honestly, I think most of us have moved on, you're the one still barking at us.

Fred Kite

Post by Fred Kite » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:17 pm

Randydeluxe wrote:
Fred Kite wrote:I have visited Richard Dawkins . net and it was not an atheist community.
So you don't know anything about the forums that were there.
Fred Kite wrote:I don't think i'll be hanging around here Charlou. but thanks anyway. it's too much like the old richard dawkins forum.
So you claim to know all about the forums that were there. Make up your mind!
why are you trying to twist what I said?

said the richard dawkins.net forum was NOT an atheist forum - it was a FORUM for FANS of RICHARD DAWKINS. Many of the people there happened to be atheist. I met christians, jews, humanists, secularists, theists of many denominations and students.

wtargentina

Post by wtargentina » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:18 pm

I'll keep biting Fred.

Some people put comments against an article on ToL - some of these are angry comments. Your "friend" the "psychologist" thinks they show signs of aspergers syndrome

Why shouldn't I understand this as "angry people have aspergers"?

Fred Kite

Post by Fred Kite » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:20 pm

Luis Dias wrote:Way to go, Fred, just call us all mentally ill, that's the way to win a fucking audience.
why are you trying to twist what I'm saying?

I never called ALL OF YOU MENTALLY ILL.

Here's what I quoted, re: aspergers.

...it's fascinating, more from an anthropological point of view than a psychological point of view because you're dealing with a group of people here but there is clearly some symptoms of aspergers being displayed in the comments on the guardian and the times. Richard and his team needs to tread very carefully now. The reaction is so exceptionally personal and vicious it suggests that it doesn't matter now who was right and who was wrong....it appears to me that the source of the anger is because many of these people became addicted/obsessed with the forum and spent a huge amount of time there. That's not Dawkins' fault but there are parallels with how some people get obsessed with religion.....in my opinion he is doing the right thing to shut it down and change it to be fully moderated....

on numerous occasions I have said that it's a small minority who are behind the vicious personal attacks on richard dawkins and josh timonen.

why do you have to twist what people say?

Randydeluxe
Filled With Aloha
About me: Ua mau ke ea o ka 'aina i ka pono.
Location: SoCal. Previously Honolulu, HI. Previously Vancouver, BC. Sometimes Austin, TX.

Post by Randydeluxe » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Fred Kite wrote:
Randydeluxe wrote:
Fred Kite wrote:I have visited Richard Dawkins . net and it was not an atheist community.
So you don't know anything about the forums that were there.
Fred Kite wrote:I don't think i'll be hanging around here Charlou. but thanks anyway. it's too much like the old richard dawkins forum.
So you claim to know all about the forums that were there. Make up your mind!
Fred Kite wrote:why are you trying to twist what I said?
I did not misquote you or take what you said out of context in any way. That's a pretty shrill accusation you're throwing at, well, everyone conversing with you here.
Fred Kite wrote:said the richard dawkins.net forum was NOT an atheist forum - it was a FORUM for FANS of RICHARD DAWKINS.
That is obviously incorrect, and can be understood by just looking at the thing. It's still available for being looked at, you know.

Bye.

Luis Dias

Post by Luis Dias » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Awe fuck. If that's all you have to say to all I've said, we're done. You are impervious to any reasoning.

Yes, I concede that you aren't calling "all of us" names, just the ones who dared to speak up, and *gasp*, vent in a less PC way.

Bah.

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Post by Thinking Aloud » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:26 pm

There's an echo in here. :ask:

leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
About me: Combat robot builder

Post by leo-rcc » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:28 pm

:sl:
in action.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you

ED209

Post by ED209 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:28 pm

Fred Kite wrote:
Peter Brown wrote: Richard had a winning formula in his old site, but he dropped the ball and so others will indeed pick it up.
I couldn't leave without responding to that.

The 300lb gorilla in the room are the voluunteer moderators who clearly failed in their task of sustaining the forum properly. if they had of managed the forum correctly, there wouldn't be a problem. Richard would have been delighted with his forum, instead of being disgusted with SOME of the bile being posted there...
Jesus Christ Fred, do you really not understand that the bile was posted here - on a forum completely unconnected to Richard Dawkins - and even then only after the RDF mods had been sacked, thousands of posts deleted, and the RDF forum closed? How do you imagine that is controlled by the mods of RDF?

If you want to know why people aren't really liking you much, you might reflect that you continue to belittle the thousands of hours of tireless and unpaid work the mods for Dawkins' contributed to that site only to be completely erased by Dawkins' IT monkey. Why not go ask your 'psychology pal' about that aspect to your behaviour, he might be able to diagnose you off-the-cuff as well.

jd

Post by jd » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:28 pm

Fred Kite wrote:The 300lb gorilla in the room are the voluunteer moderators who clearly failed in their task of sustaining the forum properly. if they had of managed the forum correctly, there wouldn't be a problem. Richard would have been delighted with his forum, instead of being disgusted with SOME of the bile being posted there.
The Moderators did do an excellent job there, and Dawkins occasionally posted and seemed to acknowledge the excellent sense of community.

If he had been genuinely concerned with "SOME of the bile", as you put it, don't you think he would have (not "would of") been capable of advising them what he expected of them, whether directly or through Josh, rather than keep them entirely in the dark while the boards were dismantled?

None of which would excuse Josh's subsequent behaviour in preventing members from setting up a "refuge", or Dawkins' own ignorant (in the precise meaning of that word) defence of him.
"Wooberish" - a neologism for woo expressed in gibberish.

Luis Dias

Post by Luis Dias » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:30 pm

leo-rcc wrote: :sl:
in action.
No, I'm really out of here!

Oh wait....
:funny: