Mafia Game - Sign Up Thread

Mafia Forum is visible to guests. Please note that game threads are limited to posts by players who are involved in each game. Non-player or derail posts will be moved to a gallery thread.

Moderator: Mafia Mods

Durro
Token Straight Guy

Mafia Game - Sign Up Thread

Post by Durro » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:37 am

This is the sign up thread for the Mafia Game. It's a game of Innocents vs Mafia, where the suspects are unknown and players have to try and identify who is who from clues given over successive days. It's a game of bluffing, misdirection, strategy and luck.

Add your name if you want to play.

Durro

nellikin
Dirt(y) girl
About me: KSC

Re: Mafia Game - Sign Up Thread

Post by nellikin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:44 am

May be floundering a bit but I'll give it a go
To ignore the absence of evidence is the base of true faith.
-Gore Vidal

Durro
Token Straight Guy

Post by Durro » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:45 am

nellikin wrote:May be floundering a bit...
Don't we all ? It's the nature of the game. You'll fit in just fine.

:drunk:

irreligionist
Peripheral participant
About me: nothing really to tell

Post by irreligionist » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:50 am

I'd like to play, please.

Durro
Token Straight Guy

Post by Durro » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:51 am

Oh, I better post the rules so people know what it's all about....

Mafia is a game of chance, bluff, logic and misdirection, and it should take about 5 to 7 days to play. The game is split into two 12 hour rounds, so that all players from various time zones around the world have an opportunity to contribute to game play in each round. "Day" Rounds will run from 7am to 7pm Brisbane time (9pm to 9am GMT) and "Night Rounds" from 7pm to 7am Brisbane time (9am to 9pm GMT). The game has some important rules and we rely on people's integrity to follow both the letter of the law and the spirit of the game.

Objective

There are two teams - the Mafia and the Innocents. From secret clues provided to certain players by me (the Moderator) and from both public game thread comments/discussions and PM exchanges between players, the Innocents have to try and identify who the Mafia team players are and either vote to lynch them during the daytime rounds, and/or encourage player(s) with bullet(s) to shoot them.

The Mafia players may join the lynch mob as wolves among the sheep and vote to lynch someone in a day round. But they also choose an innocent to whack during each night round, slowly reducing the number of innocents.

The Innocents have to kill all of the mafia players to win. Simple.

The mafia players have to achieve numerical parity with the remaining innocents after the end of a day round to win. This is because after the next night round whacking, the Mafia will have an unbeatable voting bloc for the next daytime lynching and thereafter.

It is a team event, not an individual one, so even if you're dead and your team later wins, you win. The aim of the game isn't to stay alive individually.

Characters

The Good Guys

The Dayshift Cop - The Day Cop, has the ability to investigate 1 player per day round.

The Nightshift Cop - The Night Cop, has the ability to investigate 1 player per night round.

Both cops' identities are secret, unknown to any other player, including the other cop (as they work different shifts and don't mix). The cops may choose to keep their secret or not, but beware, the mafia will be gunning for them if their identities get out to the wrong person.

The cops will nominate a player to investigate and receive the result at the end of the relevant round. The result will state if a player is innocent or guilty. There will no no indication if the other cop has already investigated a player or indeed if both cops choose the same player on the same day. Players will not know if they have been investigated by a cop, unless a cop makes a believeable PM approach or states something in the game thread.

The Private Eye (PI) - The Private Eye, receives increasingly specific clues about the identity of the Mafia players each succeeding night round and/or clues about other players. The Private Eye's identity is secret, unknown to any other player. Because the PI mixes with criminal elements of the underworld to dig up clues, s/he appears guilty on a cop's investigation.

The Doctor - The doctor may grant immunity to any 2 players during a night round for the 1st three night rounds and then protection is reduced to only 1 player per night thereafter. They may protect themself. However, they may not give immunity to any player twice in a row, as it's against medical ethics. The doctor's identity is secret, unknown to any other player.

In the event that the Doctor provides immunity to a player that the Mafia attempt to whack, the Mafia will be informed that there was an unsuccessful attempt. Neither the protected player or the other players on the public game thread will be informed about who the attempt was targeting, but an announcement that no whacking occured will be made on the game thread.

The Vigilante - This player has a loaded gun with one bullet which s/he can choose to fire off in any night round. As the vigilante is somewhat unstable and carrying a gun, they appear guilty to both Cops. Their identity is secret, unknown to any other player.

Special Role(s)- There is a special secret role(s) for an innocent player(s) other than the roles mentioned above. The player(s) involved will not have their role(s) activated until if/when certain events transpire. At that time, the relevant player(s) will be informed about their new power(s). The power(s) will not change the game rules, will not cause players to change sides or overturn a previous action made during the game. It will add an additional feature that will be revealed to the player(s).

Innocent Civilians - There are an unknown number of players that are innocent civilians. Innocent players must try to convince other players that they are innocent so that they don't get lynched accidentally. If a cop investigates them, they will appear as innocent.

A randomly drawn (and surviving) innocent bystander will be a witness to each night round's mafia whacking and will receive a clue(s) about the identity of the Mafia team member who killed the innocent. The clues will be drawn from publicly accessible knowledge about the particular Mafia team member and will help to identify them. Maybe. How each innocent player chooses to share that information is their business, but no screen shots or quotes of my PMs are allowed.

The Bad Guys

The Godperson - This kindly old lady/gentleman appears to be innocent - including if a cop investigates them - but behind the facade lurks the heart of a killer. The Godperson knows who the other mafia players are. The Godperson may consult with the other Mafia Team members on who to whack and who to give credit to for the whacking, but the Godperson's decision is final if there is dissent within the Mafia ranks.

The Mafia Killers - These thugs know a variety of ways to dispatch their unfortunate victims. Due to their criminal record and concealed weapons, they will appear guilty if investigated by a cop. Each Mafia Killer knows who the other Mafia players are. But for the innocents, there is an unknown number of Mafia Killers.

The Mafia Mole - This player has cop contacts on the corruption payroll within the police force's documents section and knows who each cop investigates. If the Mole is shot or lynched, the info to the Mafia about who has been investigated stops being fed. If the Mole is investigated by a cop, they will appear guilty.

One Mafia player will be assigned a special power that may or may not become apparent during the game. Again,
the power(s) will not change the game rules, will not cause players to change sides or overturn a previous action made during the game. It will add an additional feature that will be revealed to the player(s).

Each role will be assigned completely randomly. No two roles overlap. A Cop cannot be the doctor as well, or anything like that. Each player will be notified before the start of the game what their role is.

Game Play

Night Rounds

"Night" rounds will extend from 7pm Brisbane time to 7am the following day. (9am GMT to 9pm GMT). Actions for a night round may be submitted or altered up till 6:59am Brisbane time. Players must submit an action via PM to me during the 12 hour window period before the deadline. Submissions are confidential and will not be published until the end of the round to make things fair for players in different time zones. Changes may be made up till the very end of the round.

Night round actions include :-

* The doctor must nominate 2 players to receive protection from the Mafia for the first 3 nights and then 1 player per night round thereafter. If the Mafia happen to choose to whack the protected player, the player is not killed. The doctor can only provide protection for selected players from night round hits by the mob. There is no protection for anyone from daytime lynching.

* The Night Cop must nominate 1 player to investigate. The result of the investigation will be PM'd to the Cop and not made public by me.

* The Private Eye will receive a clue(s) about the identity(s) of the Mafia Team.

* The Mafia team (or a representative) must PM me with their chosen victim for whacking. They must also let me know which mafia player is taking responsibility for the kill so that a clue about their identity can be given to the innocent witness.

The priority for actions in the night round are :-
1. Doctor's Protection
2. Unknown power(s) if in effect.
3. Mafia Whacking
4. Vigilante shot
5. Night Cop's Investigation
6. PI clue(s)
7. Eyewitness statement.

For example, if the Vigilante gets whacked, they don't get their shot off. If the PI is shot by the Vigilante, they do not receive their clue.

Day Rounds

"Day" rounds will extend from 7am Brisbane time to 7pm that evening. (9pm GMT to 9am GMT the next day).

I will reveal the results of the night round actions at the start of the day round, or close to it.

Like the Night Round, players with daytime actions must submit an action via PM to me during the 12 hour window period before the end of round deadline. Submissions are confidential and will not be published until the end of the round to make things fair for players in different time zones. Changes may be made up till the very end of the round.

All players (mafia players included) may vote to lynch another player at the end of the day round. Votes may be made, withdrawn or changed up till 6:59pm Brisbane time. Please update the vote list as you cast a vote. The voting format is as follows :-

***************************************************************************************
(Player A writes)

I vote for Player X

Player X = 1 vote

***************************************************************************************
(Player B writes)

I vote for Player Y

Player X = 1 vote
Player Y = 1 Vote

(Player A writes)

I change my vote from Player X to player Y

Player X = 0 votes
Player Y = 2 Votes

etc, etc.

The priority for actions in the day round are :-
1. Mob lynching
2. Unknown Special Powers if in effect.
3. Day Cop's Investigation

Players may NOT vote for themselves. A suicide vote is counted as no vote.

There is a penalty for not lynching someone. If no lynching occurs, the Mafia are allowed 2 whackings instead of 1 in their following night round.

Other rules.

You may not image capture, transmit, reproduce or otherwise copy PM advisories from me. The only exception is that you may claim to be in the role that you were assigned to prior to the game and you may paraphrase clues provided to you by me. Be aware that some players know how to create fake screen shots anyhow, so don't put too much faith in them if you happen to get one (against the rules).

I cannot confirm or deny the accuracy of any information sent to any particular player. If a player makes an inaccurate statement (accidental or deliberate) on the game thread about an aspect of the game or the identity of another player, I will not correct it, as it could be part of game play. As far as I know, all information I share via PM and all clues are accurate.

Yes, you may share the (alleged) content of game related PMs from other players regarding this game. As for whether other players believe you is another matter. Information and disinformation is all part of the game. But again, no screen shots of PM messages from anyone.

Please note that PM's of material not directly related to the game cannot be shared. If in doubt, ask the sender for permission or contact me.

To thwart clever players who look for similarities in posts sent out en masse to similar players, the wording of each PM I send out giving roles, clues, or round action results will all be worded individually. No two PM's from me will be the same. I will not cut and paste the same message to several people. They will also be sent out at random times, so there is no correlation between roles and time of PM's sent.

In night rounds, the full identity of the whacked player will be revealed for all on the public thread. If however, the mafia's target is protected by the doctor, there will be no announcement on the thread and the ID of the protected player will not be shared. Thus, if no whacking occurs, either the doctor chose correctly, or all mafia players are asleep at the wheel and forgot to nominate someone for whacking.

The results of investigations for the cops and PI are sent via PM. Whether or not they try to share this with anyone via PM or on the public thread is their business. If they get whacked by the mafia though, their secrets die with them as they cannot participate further in the game. Again, screen captures of my PMs to players are forbidden.

Be aware that some players may try to pre-position a variety of claims somewhere else on this forum or externally to the forum. If you fall for these, that's your issue to deal with.

Lynching votes in the day rounds are to be submitted on the public game thread and not to me via PM. Justice may be blind, but a lynching involves a very public, herd mentality hysteria.

Players may discuss their thoughts, strategies or accusations on the public game thread, as well as their voting intentions of course. PM communication is also allowed, until a player is removed from the game. Once killed off, please don't communicate about the game with anyone still playing in it. This rule works on the trust system and to violate this would ruin the game for everyone.

Please do not edit any posts on the game thread, except for immediate corrections for typos. The posts form a historical record for the benefit of other players and sometimes contain vital clues in retrospect.

Please do not change your avatar once the game starts until you are out of the game, as some clues may or may not be related to a player's avatar.

Posts from non-players will be removed as off-topic. No heckling from the gallery, please.

The Moderator can adjudicate on issues or clarify rules as we go along. Please ask questions about general game play in the game thread though - do not PM me, as all players have the right to see the question and read the answer. However, if you have a question about your secret role specifically that would give your ID away, you can PM me.

The Most Important Rules

1. Durro is always right.
2. Durro reserves the right to alter the rules, make shit up and do whatever he wants.
3. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.

The game will commence with a day round. All players will be PM'd by me prior to then, in random order and at different times so there is no pattern with the sending of PMs to anyone.

:cheers:

Durro

noncredo

Post by noncredo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:57 am

I'm in. Oh..and thanks irreligionist for the subtle avatar hint on RDF. I didn't know what was going on, thought maybe there had been a reverse...whats that thing where God eats all the souls and grows in power until he becomes unstoppable, like a Toyota, and then wages all out, kick ass war on the demons spawn.....rapture. Anyway, it was your avatar that led me here, so thanks.

irreligionist
Peripheral participant
About me: nothing really to tell

Post by irreligionist » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:01 am

noncredo wrote:I'm in. Oh..and thanks irreligionist for the subtle avatar hint on RDF. I didn't know what was going on, thought maybe there had been a reverse...whats that thing where God eats all the souls and grows in power until he becomes unstoppable, like a Toyota, and then wages all out, kick ass war on the demons spawn.....rapture. Anyway, it was your avatar that led me here, so thanks.
:cheers: my rebellion pays off :biggrin:

oblivion
Noble Savage

Post by oblivion » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:11 am

In.

Durro
Token Straight Guy

Post by Durro » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:52 am

Players so far

nellikin
irreligionist
noncredo
oblivion

:tup:

CookieJon

Post by CookieJon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:59 am

Meeeee!

Mantisdreamz

Post by Mantisdreamz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:03 am

I'm in! :vader:

Durro
Token Straight Guy

Post by Durro » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:05 am

nellikin
irreligionist
noncredo
oblivion
CookieJon
Mantisdreamz

:food:

Spinozasgalt
About me: "I stood on faith and the corner of ambition."

Post by Spinozasgalt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:23 am

Here I am. Praise me!

(Also, I'm in.)
It's been a steady pace to keep my steps between these cracks on Broadway
And my stride in rhythm to the beat of home, sweet home.

Alison Krauss

95Theses

Post by 95Theses » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:42 am

I'm in!

Thanks for doing this again at short notice Durro, although it doesn't seem like too much of a chore considering how gleefully you come up with new exectuaiton methods.

I mean, stuck in a cement mixer Alive :what:

:td: :td:
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell.

Blip
About me: if you're in the least bit interested, by all means ask!

Post by Blip » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:02 am

I'm in! And this time I'm going to try not to muck up. :oops:

PS Can you tell us if THWOTH was, after all, the Godfather in the aborted game?
'Only connect...' E M Forster