In Praise of Josh Timonen

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler
About me: I have remarkable elbows.

Re: In Praise of Josh Timonen

Post by lordpasternack » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:49 am

I emailed Richard and don't appear to have been vapourised.

I did it direct, though - not via RD.net, and even stated in the email that I did so because I wasn't wholly convinced that Josh was above such twattery. Well, I phrased it a bit differently...

I cannot find the words to express how much I despise what Josh's whole conduct epitomises. It's completely and utterly father-knows-best, arrogant, smug, obnoxious, sneering, devious, tactless, inept - everything objectionable, from the get-go.

The calculated hushing of those who do try to escalate the matter inflames my offence even more.

And I have a sneaking suspicion that Josh is rather equanimous about the idea of taking advantage of Richard naturally tending to side with him, not to mention Richard's ambivalence and ignorance of the nuances of the forum, and his disinclination to exert authority himself. In short, I think Josh knows he'll 'get away' with this. There is an air of almost gleeful lack of accountability, and I find it contemptuous.

I've said my piece for what it's worth, and I know that Richard at least sees my as I am in an important respect: frank and honest.

The bottom line is that I personally am far more offended by Josh's 'handling' of this debacle than I am of the initial decision.
Then they for sudden joy did weep,
And I for sorrow sung,
That such a king should play bo-peep,
And go the fools among.
Prithee, nuncle, keep a schoolmaster that can teach
thy fool to lie: I would fain learn to lie.

riddlemethis

Post by riddlemethis » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:52 am

maiforpeace wrote:For being booed out of the building at the Atheist Convention Australia. I wonder if he has the guts to show his face there? :mrgreen:
Good question! If I see the fat-faced little porker wandering around with his camera, I swear I'll trip him over and kick him in the guts. If he is there I am all the more determined to get folks to join me in turning our backs in silent protest when RD takes the stage. He can get that on camera!
I told the priest, don't count on any second coming. God got his ass kicked the first time he came down here slumming. - Concrete Blonde

Reason is the servant of the passions - David Hume

You got to be Jesus crazy to pull a move like that. - Victor T

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:53 am

riddlemethis wrote:
maiforpeace wrote:For being booed out of the building at the Atheist Convention Australia. I wonder if he has the guts to show his face there? :mrgreen:
Good question! If I see the fat-faced little porker wandering around with his camera, I swear I'll trip him over and kick him in the guts. If he is there I am all the more determined to get folks to join me in turning our backs in silent protest when RD takes the stage. He can get that on camera!
I would SO love to see this. :begging:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

riddlemethis

Post by riddlemethis » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:55 am

Bella Fortuna wrote:
riddlemethis wrote:
I would SO love to see this. :begging:
There will be plenty of evidence to post, I promise.
I told the priest, don't count on any second coming. God got his ass kicked the first time he came down here slumming. - Concrete Blonde

ficklefiend

Post by ficklefiend » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:58 am

lordpasternack wrote: The bottom line is that I personally am far more offended by Josh's 'handling' of this debacle than I am of the initial decision.
When someone tells me they know that change can be frightening in order to at both times shut me up and patronise me, I get the sudden urge to ram a fistful of nails down their throat.

So, yeah, bad handling.

(I'm glad you've sent a letter. A few well known names with calm and honest opinions might at least wake RD up to what has been done, even if he doesn't care)
Set phasers tae malky!
www.ficklefiend.deviantart.com

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler
About me: I have remarkable elbows.

Post by lordpasternack » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:07 am

We could always arrange a short chant for us to sing about Josh for Richard when he appears onstage. :hehe:

Maybe some t-shirts...? :plot:

Maybe I could go up to be friendly to him and say while shaking his hand: 'Hey there. I understand that you're not a complete wankstain, but you do do a bloody good impression of one!' :D
Last edited by lordpasternack on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then they for sudden joy did weep,
And I for sorrow sung,
That such a king should play bo-peep,
And go the fools among.
Prithee, nuncle, keep a schoolmaster that can teach
thy fool to lie: I would fain learn to lie.

virphen
About me: "that fairy-fingering ass-raping space lizard"

One year own my home planet = 3 on earth.

Post by virphen » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:08 am

lordpasternack wrote:We could always arrange a short chant for Josh to sing for Richard when he appears onstage. :hehe:

Maybe I could go up to be friendly to him and say while shaking his hand: 'Hey there. I understand that you're not a complete wankstain, but you do do a bloody good impression of one!' :D
I think you should apply one of your remarkable elbows to the approximate area of his gonads.

riddlemethis

Post by riddlemethis » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:20 am

lordpasternack wrote:We could always arrange a short chant for us to sing about Josh for Richard when he appears onstage. :hehe:

Guy Fawkes masks all round & t-shirts that have "Josh - He'll Fuck Ya" printed on the back.

ficklefiend

Post by ficklefiend » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:23 am

lordpasternack wrote: Maybe some t-shirts...? :plot:
THIS MUST BE DONE.

When is the conference? You'll want to be up to date with them.. wait a couple days if we can, then print you all something scathing. :twisted:
Set phasers tae malky!
www.ficklefiend.deviantart.com

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:30 am

riddlemethis wrote:
lordpasternack wrote:We could always arrange a short chant for us to sing about Josh for Richard when he appears onstage. :hehe:

Guy Fawkes masks all round & t-shirts that have "Josh - He'll Fuck Ya" printed on the back.
Seriously - someone should bring their own A/V equipment just in case Josh has to leave the building in shame. I was at the AAI convention this year and there were only two or three RDF'ers working the table, and only Josh working all the A/V. It was bare bones compared to what I saw at the 2007 convention. This might be a good time to try to move in on him, there's got to be some better talent out of the entire community to run the technical side of things than Josh. Instead of raking all this business over the coals, someone should come up with something good to sell Dawkin's and get Josh fired. Josh wouldn't be acting with such paranoia if he didn't fear something.
Last edited by maiforpeace on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

hotshoe

Post by hotshoe » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:32 am

riddlemethis wrote: If he is there I am all the more determined to get folks to join me in turning our backs in silent protest when RD takes the stage. He can get that on camera!
I would fly to Australia just to participate in that protest if I could.

my_wan

Post by my_wan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:33 am

GenesForLife wrote:
Elessarina wrote:I haven't followed everything that has gone on.. what exactly did Josh do?
Backstabbed the mods, deleted their accounts, shut down private messaging, changed the status to read-only, and acted in an extremely imprudent manner, from what I can surmise.
And lied about every move throughout.
"I will not attack your doctrine nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men" - Robert Green Ingersoll
Ex RDer

my_wan

Post by my_wan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:37 am

maiforpeace wrote:... Josh wouldn't be acting with such paranoia if he didn't fear something.
That's my impression, and what I'm waiting to learn.
"I will not attack your doctrine nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men" - Robert Green Ingersoll
Ex RDer

Ameri Boi
About me: Lazy ass

Post by Ameri Boi » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:47 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:Has anyone seen that Doctor Who episode with the Sontarans? I just get an image of that short American bloke who starts crying when everyone tells him his plans are stupid and then walks out while he's threatening them. This fella:

I thought he was cute....but insane...great combo.
"Another aspect of the particulateness of the gene is that is does not grow senile; it is no more likely to die when it is a million years old than when it is only a hundred. It leaps from body to body in it's own way and for its own ends, abandoning a succession of mortal bodies before they sink in senility and death" -Richard Dawkins' The Selfish Gene p.34

NineOneFour
About me: Married, ethnically German, hardcore Social Democrat, ex-Dittohead, ex-Libertarian, went to Catholic school, father was a religious cultist who thought he had the gift of prophecy and could communicate with the "other side".
So, had a weird life. Better now.

Post by NineOneFour » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:49 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:Has anyone seen that Doctor Who episode with the Sontarans? I just get an image of that short American bloke who starts crying when everyone tells him his plans are stupid and then walks out while he's threatening them. This fella:

Perfect.