My new Kindle 2.0

ScholasticSpastic
Inscrutable Inoculator

My new Kindle 2.0

Post by ScholasticSpastic » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:04 am

I expect to receive delivery of my new e-book reader tomorrow... er, later today. I shall tell you all about it. Eventually. Perhaps take some pictures of it. I have already arranged to have Darwin's Origin of Species downloaded to it as soon as it's finished charging. There are some larger, more expensive microbiology tomes I'm sorely tempted to dl to it as well. I also expect that my Prof. will be able to email me pdf files of papers relevant to our work for my review- a benefit for both of us.

I hope to be able to sing its praises as it ate about two months' of my food money.
"You've got to be a real asshole to quote yourself!"
~ScholasticSpastic

(I am not a police officer. I am unarmed.)

Psi Wavefunction
Cекси техническая лаборатория
About me: I kill threads WITH SCIENCE!

I like Crascuits. :coffee:

Re: My new Kindle 2.0

Post by Psi Wavefunction » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:10 am

Reading papers on an e-book type thing? But...but... the need to scrible! You just can't take that away! :cry:

(it's VERY obvious when I've read a paper... there'll be notes and comments EVERYWHERE, else I can't understand. Because I'm a bit too dumb to get through those things without doodling... :doh: )

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:12 am

"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:13 am

That aside... I don't see the use of these e-books. I've got a laptop and I've got paper, what more do you need?
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

MedGen
Primordial Booze
About me: Bad breath: check
Slightly camp: check
Ghastly wife: check

Must be British.

Post by MedGen » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:13 am

Am I weird in that I don't make notes when reading a paper? Unless I need it for specific methods, etc or review writing I don't take notes. It's the same with seminars, I only take notes if really have to. :?:
The nature of reality is not subject to the decrees of human institutions

If having an identity is to have an essence, I do not have an identity. My sense of self it too varied and contextual - Kenneth Strike

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:15 am

I sit in class and do nothing, same when we have guest speakers.

ScholasticSpastic
Inscrutable Inoculator

Post by ScholasticSpastic » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:17 am

You are not dumb, Psi. Or, if you are dumb, I wish more people could be dumb. The big win for me is information density. I quite like the idea of having access to all the technical and recreational reading I want without having to lug books around. Or access a computer. It measures about the length of a piece of paper and the width of a pencil. Sciencey books are big and laptops require pretty frequent charging. I can haul the Kindle out into the desert with me and, if I don't waste power on the cellular or voice options, it'll go about two weeks without needing a charge. Having that much information in so small a space with so little power use is a seductive proposition for me.

The way Amazon.com is working the Kindle 2.0 looks pretty slick. If it's even half as slick as it seems I won't regret spending my food money on non-essential technologies.
~ScholasticSpastic

Psi Wavefunction

Post by Psi Wavefunction » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:19 am

MasterBaker wrote:Am I weird in that I don't make notes when reading a paper? Unless I need it for specific methods, etc or review writing I don't take notes. It's the same with seminars, I only take notes if really have to. :?:
No... you just have a good memory/brain. I've always found it necessary to actually interact with stuff on paper to get my thinking straight. Online quizzes tend to be a problem for me for that very reason... <_<

If I go to a seminar for the fun of it, if it's not actually related to my research... I don't bother taking notes; just sit back and enjoy. But if it's for research, I always feel as if this or that detail might come in handy... and perhaps I could see it when flipping through my notes and think of something useful. I guess it's like being obsessive compulsive around data/ideas, in some way...

Psi Wavefunction

Post by Psi Wavefunction » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:21 am

ScholasticSpastic wrote:You are not dumb, Psi. Or, if you are dumb, I wish more people could be dumb. The big win for me is information density. I quite like the idea of having access to all the technical and recreational reading I want without having to lug books around. Or access a computer. It measures about the length of a piece of paper and the width of a pencil. Sciencey books are big and laptops require pretty frequent charging. I can haul the Kindle out into the desert with me and, if I don't waste power on the cellular or voice options, it'll go about two weeks without needing a charge. Having that much information in so small a space with so little power use is a seductive proposition for me.

The way Amazon.com is working the Kindle 2.0 looks pretty slick. If it's even half as slick as it seems I won't regret spending my food money on non-essential technologies.

I can see the usefulness of that... perhaps wouldn't mind eventually getting one myself, in some distant future when I make more than my monthly rent + breadcrumbs...

A stack of papers can get quite heavy... but it's also rather satisfying when it's a stack of read papers! It's as if you can quantify how much you've learned, in grams... 8-)

ScholasticSpastic
Inscrutable Inoculator

Post by ScholasticSpastic » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:22 am

Kindle has an annotation option. Just sayin'. Not going to actually endorse the thing until I've had a chance to play with it.
~ScholasticSpastic

MedGen
Primordial Booze
About me: Bad breath: check
Slightly camp: check
Ghastly wife: check

Must be British.

Post by MedGen » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:10 pm

Psi Wavefunction wrote:
A stack of papers can get quite heavy... but it's also rather satisfying when it's a stack of read papers! It's as if you can quantify how much you've learned, in grams... 8-)
A-fucking-men.
The nature of reality is not subject to the decrees of human institutions

If having an identity is to have an essence, I do not have an identity. My sense of self it too varied and contextual - Kenneth Strike

leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
About me: Combat robot builder

Post by leo-rcc » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:36 pm

My ebook reader on my Blackberry has an option to make side notes as well. The screen is only so small that the reading part is not very satisfying. But I managed to read "The God Delusion" and "The History of the revolt of the Netherlands" on it. I was looking at the Kindle but it is not handy in the Netherlands so I am looking at the Sony or a similar reader.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you

ScholasticSpastic
Inscrutable Inoculator

Post by ScholasticSpastic » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:06 pm

My new Kindle 2.0 is now charging for the first time. I suspect I'll have to refrain from gushing until it is finished charging. Meanwhile, I am reading the surprisingly large user manual. Kindle 2.0 appears to have one of the largest ratios of user manual to buttons and gewgaws I've encountered so far.
~ScholasticSpastic

ScholasticSpastic
Inscrutable Inoculator

Post by ScholasticSpastic » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:04 pm

It has a search function that allows me to search all media stored on my Kindle. Citations just got a lot less tedious. :mrgreen:
~ScholasticSpastic

Psi Wavefunction

Post by Psi Wavefunction » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:53 am

ScholasticSpastic wrote:It has a search function that allows me to search all media stored on my Kindle. Citations just got a lot less tedious. :mrgreen:
You could just hijack your lab's copy of Endnote :mrgreen: