The Trump Pandemic

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: The Trump Pandemic

Post by Svartalf » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:46 pm

Hermit wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:00 am

This prick is probably about to win a second presidential term. What does that say about the voters?
wasn't is winston churchill who said that the strongest argument against democracy is a 5 minute talk with the average voter?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:07 pm

Cunt wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:31 pm
Hermit wrote:
This prick is probably about to win a second presidential term. What does that say about the voters?
It says that the Dems, in a shockingly tone-deaf four years have offered nothing better for the voters to get behind.
The Dems have been neoliberal Wall Street shills ever since at least as early as Bill Clinton's presidency. The working classes and the shrinking middle classes have been economically abandoned in the mid 1970s. That's when the tide ceased raising all boats.

No Democratic government did anything about it, but no Republican government did either. That's why enough US voters turned their backs on both and voted for a sociopathic demagogue instead. They are utter cretins. I wonder what would have happened had Bernie Sanders not been poleaxed by the DNC in 2016.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:11 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:46 pm
Hermit wrote:

wasn't is winston churchill who said that the strongest argument against democracy is a 5 minute talk with the average voter?
No.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:22 pm

Hermit wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:07 pm
They are utter cretins.
I understand you quite well.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:12 pm

The argument between rEv and 9B is giving me the shits! :lay:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:58 pm

5F3E10A1-D882-4BEE-A20F-6ED93D478849.jpeg
5F3E10A1-D882-4BEE-A20F-6ED93D478849.jpeg (80.58 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:04 pm

Our governor, a Trumpist, is Doing his part to cut down travel to the state:
Due to the DHM travel regulations, the Nebraska Game and Parks will no longer issue out-of-state turkey-hunting permits. Any individuals who had previously purchased a permit can get a refund from Nebraska Game and Parks. The governor said it didn’t make sense to allow the permits when new travelers were being requested to quarantine for 14-days.

Meanwhile, any RV can drive in and stay at the recreation areas. And private campgrounds.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:49 pm

Just a reminder that the communist party has an interest in sowing propaganda. So do some others.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/harvard- ... na-related
Unbeknownst to Harvard University beginning in 2011, Lieber became a “Strategic Scientist” at Wuhan University of Technology (WUT) in China and was a contractual participant in China’s Thousand Talents Plan from in or about 2012 to 2017.
But go ahead and keep blaming Trump for this. Especially in countries controlled by Chinese government investment.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:58 pm

Tero wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:04 pm
Our governor, a Trumpist, is Doing his part to cut down travel to the state:
Due to the DHM travel regulations, the Nebraska Game and Parks will no longer issue out-of-state turkey-hunting permits. Any individuals who had previously purchased a permit can get a refund from Nebraska Game and Parks. The governor said it didn’t make sense to allow the permits when new travelers were being requested to quarantine for 14-days.

Meanwhile, any RV can drive in and stay at the recreation areas. And private campgrounds.
In Oz, all caravan parks are closed to new arrivals, camping grounds and national parks are closed and travel between states is severely curtailed...
And my gin!

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:01 pm

Cunt wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:49 pm
Just a reminder that the communist party has an interest in sowing propaganda. So do some others.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/harvard- ... na-related
Unbeknownst to Harvard University beginning in 2011, Lieber became a “Strategic Scientist” at Wuhan University of Technology (WUT) in China and was a contractual participant in China’s Thousand Talents Plan from in or about 2012 to 2017.
But go ahead and keep blaming Trump for this. Especially in countries controlled by Chinese government investment.
Again, you seem to live in a weird binary world. If one puts blame on Trump (not wholesale, but for his clear stuff-ups), then apparently you automatically unquestionably believe or support the authoritarian Chinese government. Newsflash - it's possible (and indeed rational) to blame and distrust both...
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:14 pm

We passed rational and useful blame of Trump for his many faults ages ago. I've been here before. When I worked for someone I considered a psycho , dealing with him eventually consumed my thinking. I'm sure I was quite irrational at that point. Thankfully I began to see my way through it.

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing much progress in that regard for the Trump obsessed.

But maybe that's just politics? You go crazy, literally. :dunno:

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:15 pm

JimC wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:01 pm
Again, you seem to live in a weird binary world. If one puts blame on Trump (not wholesale, but for his clear stuff-ups), then apparently you automatically unquestionably believe or support the authoritarian Chinese government. Newsflash - it's possible (and indeed rational) to blame and distrust both...
I'm not in a binary world, but a lot of it comes down to binary choices.

Knowing some of the Chinese government propaganda helps me identify it, like when that top WHO official dodged the Taiwan question.

Knowing he would bob and weave around that political question, makes me examine more closely some of their other stuff.

Is it racist to call it a Chinese virus, in a thread dedicated to blaming the pandemic effects of it to a foreign world leader?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:17 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:14 pm
We passed rational and useful blame of Trump for his many faults ages ago. I've been here before. When I worked for someone I considered a psycho , dealing with him eventually consumed my thinking. I'm sure I was quite irrational at that point. Thankfully I began to see my way through it.

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing much progress in that regard for the Trump obsessed.

Whatever you do, don't blame Trump. :coffee:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... h-disaster
The CDC’s botched rollout of testing was the first indication that the Trump administration was faltering as the health emergency gathered pace. Behind the scenes, deep flaws in the way federal agencies had come to operate under Trump were being exposed.

In 2018 the pandemic unit in the national security council – which was tasked to prepare for health emergencies precisely like the current one – was disbanded. “Eliminating the office has contributed to the federal government’s sluggish domestic response,” Beth Cameron, senior director of the office at the time it was broken up, wrote in the Washington Post.

Disbanding the unit exacerbated a trend that was already prevalent after two years of Trump – an exodus of skilled and experienced officials who knew what they were doing. “There’s been an erosion of expertise, of competent leadership, at important levels of government,” a former senior government official told the Guardian.

“Over time there was a lot of paranoia and people left and they had a hard time attracting good replacements,” the official said. “Nobody wanted to work there.”

It was hardly a morale-boosting gesture when Trump proposed a 16% cut in CDC funding on 10 February – 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared a public health emergency over Covid-19.

Schaffner, who describes himself as the “president of the CDC fan club”, said he has been saddened by how sidelined the CDC has become over the past two months. “Here we have the public health issue of our era and one doesn’t hear from the CDC, the premier public health organization in the world,” Schaffner said.

Under Trump, anti-science sweeps through DC

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which regulates the diagnostic tests and will control any new treatments for coronavirus, has also shown vulnerabilities. The agency recently indicated that it was looking into the possibility of prescribing the malaria drug chloroquine for coronavirus sufferers, even though there is no evidence it would work and some indication it could have serious side-effects.

The decision dismayed experts, given that Trump has personally pushed the unproven remedy on a whim. It smacked of the wave of anti-science sentiment sweeping federal agencies under this presidency.

As the former senior official put it: “We have the FDA bowing to political pressure and making decisions completely counter to modern science.”

Highly respected career civil servants, with impeccable scientific credentials, have struggled to get out in front of the president. Dr Anthony Fauci, an infectious disease expert who has become a rare trusted face in the administration amid the coronavirus scourge, has expressed his frustration.

This week Fauci was asked by a Science magazine writer, Jon Cohen, how he could stand beside Trump at daily press briefings and listen to him misleading the American people with comments such as that the China travel ban had been a great success in blocking entry of the virus. Fauci replied: “I know, but what do you want me to do? I mean, seriously Jon, let’s get real, what do you want me to do?”

Trump has designated himself a “wartime president”. But if the title bears any validity, his military tactics have been highly unconventional. He has exacerbated the problems encountered by federal agencies by playing musical chairs at the top of the coronavirus force.

The president began by creating on 29 January a special coronavirus taskforce, then gave Vice-President Mike Pence the job, who promptly appointed Deborah Birx “coronavirus response coordinator”, before the federal emergency agency Fema began taking charge of key areas, with Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law, creating a shadow team that increasingly appears to be calling the shots.

“There’s no point of responsibility,” the former senior official told the Guardian. “It keeps shifting. Nobody owns the problem.”

Trump: everything’s going to be great

Amid the confusion, day-to-day management of the crisis has frequently come directly from Trump himself via his Twitter feed. The president, with more than half an eye on the New York stock exchange, has consistently talked down the scale of the crisis.

On 30 January, as the World Health Organization was declaring a global emergency, Trump said: “We only have five people. Hopefully, everything’s going to be great.”

On 24 February, Trump claimed “the coronavirus is very much under control in the USA”. The next day, Nancy Messonnier, the CDC’s top official on respiratory diseases, took the radically different approach of telling the truth, warning the American people that “disruption to everyday life might be severe”.

Trump was reportedly so angered by the comment and its impact on share prices that he shouted down the phone at Messonnier’s boss, the secretary of health and human services, Alex Azar.

“Messonnier was 100% right. She gave a totally honest and accurate assessment,” Konyndyk told the Guardian. And for that, Trump angrily rebuked her department. “That sent a very clear message about what is and isn’t permissible to say.”

Konyndyk recalls attending a meeting in mid-February with top Trump administration officials present in which the only topic of conversation was the travel bans. That’s when he began to despair about the federal handling of the crisis.

“I thought, ‘Holy Jesus!’ Where’s the discussion on protecting our hospitals? Where’s the discussion on high-risk populations, on surveillance so we can detect where the virus is. I knew then that the president had set the priority, the bureaucracy was following it, but it was the wrong priority.”

So it has transpired. In the wake of the testing disaster has come the personal protective equipment (PPE) disaster, the hospital bed disaster, and now the ventilator disaster.

Ventilators, literal life preservers, are in dire short supply across the country. When governors begged Trump to unleash the full might of the US government on this critical problem, he gave his answer on 16 March.

In a phrase that will stand beside 20 January 2020 as one of the most revelatory moments of the history of coronavirus, he said: “Respirators, ventilators, all of the equipment – try getting it yourselves.”

To date, the Trump administration has supplied 400 ventilators to New York. By Cuomo’s estimation, 30,000 are needed.

“You want a pat on the back for sending 400 ventilators?” Cuomo scathingly asked on Tuesday. “You pick the 26,000 who are going to die because you only sent 400 ventilators.”

‘A total vacuum of federal leadership’

In the absence of a strong federal response, a patchwork of efforts has sprouted all across the country. State governors are doing their own thing. Cities, even individual hospitals, are coping as best they can.

In an improvised attempt to address such inconsistencies, charitable startups have proliferated on social media. Konyndyk has clubbed together with fellow disaster relief experts to set up Covid Local, an online “quick and dirty” guide to how to fight a pandemic.

“We are seeing the emergence of 50-state anarchy, because of a total vacuum of federal leadership. It’s absurd that thinktanks and Twitter are providing more actionable guidance in the US than the federal government, but that’s where we are.”

Coronavirus and volunteering: how can I help in the UK?
Read more
Valerie Griffeth is a founding member of another of the new online startups that are trying to fill the Trump void. Set up by emergency department doctors across the country, GetUsPPE.org seeks to counter the top-down chaos that is putting frontline health workers like herself in danger through a dearth of protective gear.

Griffeth is an emergency and critical care physician in Portland, Oregon. She spends most days now in intensive care treating perilously ill patients with coronavirus.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:23 pm

Seabass wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:17 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:14 pm

Whatever you do, don't blame Trump. :coffee:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... h-disaster
The CDC’s botched rollout of testing was the first indication that the Trump administration was faltering as the health emergency gathered pace. Behind the scenes, deep flaws in the way federal agencies had come to operate under Trump were being exposed.

In 2018 the pandemic unit in the national security council – which was tasked to prepare for health emergencies precisely like the current one – was disbanded. “Eliminating the office has contributed to the federal government’s sluggish domestic response,” Beth Cameron, senior director of the office at the time it was broken up, wrote in the Washington Post.

Disbanding the unit exacerbated a trend that was already prevalent after two years of Trump – an exodus of skilled and experienced officials who knew what they were doing. “There’s been an erosion of expertise, of competent leadership, at important levels of government,” a former senior government official told the Guardian.

“Over time there was a lot of paranoia and people left and they had a hard time attracting good replacements,” the official said. “Nobody wanted to work there.”

It was hardly a morale-boosting gesture when Trump proposed a 16% cut in CDC funding on 10 February – 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared a public health emergency over Covid-19.

Schaffner, who describes himself as the “president of the CDC fan club”, said he has been saddened by how sidelined the CDC has become over the past two months. “Here we have the public health issue of our era and one doesn’t hear from the CDC, the premier public health organization in the world,” Schaffner said.

Under Trump, anti-science sweeps through DC

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which regulates the diagnostic tests and will control any new treatments for coronavirus, has also shown vulnerabilities. The agency recently indicated that it was looking into the possibility of prescribing the malaria drug chloroquine for coronavirus sufferers, even though there is no evidence it would work and some indication it could have serious side-effects.

The decision dismayed experts, given that Trump has personally pushed the unproven remedy on a whim. It smacked of the wave of anti-science sentiment sweeping federal agencies under this presidency.

As the former senior official put it: “We have the FDA bowing to political pressure and making decisions completely counter to modern science.”

Highly respected career civil servants, with impeccable scientific credentials, have struggled to get out in front of the president. Dr Anthony Fauci, an infectious disease expert who has become a rare trusted face in the administration amid the coronavirus scourge, has expressed his frustration.

This week Fauci was asked by a Science magazine writer, Jon Cohen, how he could stand beside Trump at daily press briefings and listen to him misleading the American people with comments such as that the China travel ban had been a great success in blocking entry of the virus. Fauci replied: “I know, but what do you want me to do? I mean, seriously Jon, let’s get real, what do you want me to do?”

Trump has designated himself a “wartime president”. But if the title bears any validity, his military tactics have been highly unconventional. He has exacerbated the problems encountered by federal agencies by playing musical chairs at the top of the coronavirus force.

The president began by creating on 29 January a special coronavirus taskforce, then gave Vice-President Mike Pence the job, who promptly appointed Deborah Birx “coronavirus response coordinator”, before the federal emergency agency Fema began taking charge of key areas, with Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law, creating a shadow team that increasingly appears to be calling the shots.

“There’s no point of responsibility,” the former senior official told the Guardian. “It keeps shifting. Nobody owns the problem.”

Trump: everything’s going to be great

Amid the confusion, day-to-day management of the crisis has frequently come directly from Trump himself via his Twitter feed. The president, with more than half an eye on the New York stock exchange, has consistently talked down the scale of the crisis.

On 30 January, as the World Health Organization was declaring a global emergency, Trump said: “We only have five people. Hopefully, everything’s going to be great.”

On 24 February, Trump claimed “the coronavirus is very much under control in the USA”. The next day, Nancy Messonnier, the CDC’s top official on respiratory diseases, took the radically different approach of telling the truth, warning the American people that “disruption to everyday life might be severe”.

Trump was reportedly so angered by the comment and its impact on share prices that he shouted down the phone at Messonnier’s boss, the secretary of health and human services, Alex Azar.

“Messonnier was 100% right. She gave a totally honest and accurate assessment,” Konyndyk told the Guardian. And for that, Trump angrily rebuked her department. “That sent a very clear message about what is and isn’t permissible to say.”

Konyndyk recalls attending a meeting in mid-February with top Trump administration officials present in which the only topic of conversation was the travel bans. That’s when he began to despair about the federal handling of the crisis.

“I thought, ‘Holy Jesus!’ Where’s the discussion on protecting our hospitals? Where’s the discussion on high-risk populations, on surveillance so we can detect where the virus is. I knew then that the president had set the priority, the bureaucracy was following it, but it was the wrong priority.”

So it has transpired. In the wake of the testing disaster has come the personal protective equipment (PPE) disaster, the hospital bed disaster, and now the ventilator disaster.

Ventilators, literal life preservers, are in dire short supply across the country. When governors begged Trump to unleash the full might of the US government on this critical problem, he gave his answer on 16 March.

In a phrase that will stand beside 20 January 2020 as one of the most revelatory moments of the history of coronavirus, he said: “Respirators, ventilators, all of the equipment – try getting it yourselves.”

To date, the Trump administration has supplied 400 ventilators to New York. By Cuomo’s estimation, 30,000 are needed.

“You want a pat on the back for sending 400 ventilators?” Cuomo scathingly asked on Tuesday. “You pick the 26,000 who are going to die because you only sent 400 ventilators.”

‘A total vacuum of federal leadership’

In the absence of a strong federal response, a patchwork of efforts has sprouted all across the country. State governors are doing their own thing. Cities, even individual hospitals, are coping as best they can.

In an improvised attempt to address such inconsistencies, charitable startups have proliferated on social media. Konyndyk has clubbed together with fellow disaster relief experts to set up Covid Local, an online “quick and dirty” guide to how to fight a pandemic.

“We are seeing the emergence of 50-state anarchy, because of a total vacuum of federal leadership. It’s absurd that thinktanks and Twitter are providing more actionable guidance in the US than the federal government, but that’s where we are.”

Coronavirus and volunteering: how can I help in the UK?
Read more
Valerie Griffeth is a founding member of another of the new online startups that are trying to fill the Trump void. Set up by emergency department doctors across the country, GetUsPPE.org seeks to counter the top-down chaos that is putting frontline health workers like herself in danger through a dearth of protective gear.

Griffeth is an emergency and critical care physician in Portland, Oregon. She spends most days now in intensive care treating perilously ill patients with coronavirus.
If you think I'm going to read yet another long list of yours after your failure to come to terms with the errors in the other thread, you're mistaken. If, on the other hand, you'd like to step back and address a claim or two on its own, see them through, then I might be game.

--//--

Blame Trump all you like. He's a horrible person. But don't abandon reality to do it.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:29 pm

Rodl. Yes, you should definitely avoid reading as much as possible if you want to keep doing Trump apologetics.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka