Republicans: continued

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: Republicans: continued

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:30 pm

There is a definite and largely consistent correlation between Republican presidents and a rise in violent death in the US, noted in a study that examined stats going back to 1900. The Johnson administration was a notable exception.

'Political correlates of violent death rates in the U.S., 1900-2010: Longitudinal and cross-sectional analyses'
Violent deaths were associated with an increase under Republican presidents and a decrease under Democratic presidents, were higher in states that vote for the Republican than for the Democratic presidential candidates, and increased alongside increasing unemployment and falling national GDP. As with heart disease, obesity and cancer, identified associations with environmental factors can increase understanding of the public health problem and point to ways of reducing it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:57 pm

They outsourced their violent crime to Vietnam during the Johnson term. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:44 pm

Gee, I wonder why...

Racist Attacks Against Asians Continue to Rise as the Coronavirus Threat Grows
https://people.com/health/coronavirus-r ... st-asians/

Trump’s Dangerous Coronavirus Name Game is Part of a Long, Crazy History
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:17 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:57 pm
I should have been more explicit. The consistent correlation over more than a century between Republican presidencies and a rising incidence of violent death (and decrease of same during Democratic presidencies) is broken during the Johnson administration. Johnson, a Democrat, was in office during the mid to late 60s during which the per capita level of violent death rose sharply. This is a study of the domestic US, so violent death at war is not part of the data set.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:05 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:17 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:57 pm
I should have been more explicit. The consistent correlation over more than a century between Republican presidencies and a rising incidence of violent death (and decrease of same during Democratic presidencies) is broken during the Johnson administration. Johnson, a Democrat, was in office during the mid to late 60s during which the per capita level of violent death rose sharply. This is a study of the domestic US, so violent death at war is not part of the data set.
I wasn't being entirely serious :D But (ha!) wartime necessitates a systematic desenitisation to violence in the population at large, doesn't it(?). I'm no social scientist, but well... it's an idea at least.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:38 pm

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=14563
Republicans are reporting that Professors across the country are expressing concern over courses being moved online as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
One professor expressed concern that 'right wing sites' could expose what is being taught in college courses.
Why on EARTH would professors be worried that their words would be shared outside the classroom?

I mean, we all know they can't defend their ideas in the public square (without heavy censorship) but are they really worried about being exposed by their critics? Aren't they supposed to be the best and brightest smart-people?

This crisis IS going to show the value of education. I'm SURE that a lot of parents are going to be overwhelmed with their 1-4 kids, and gain a new appreciation for what their teachers are doing. Equally, this is gonig to enlighten a lot of parents as to what their kids are being taught in Universities.

Surely THOSE educators are very useful, too.

ETA - link
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:45 pm

Ask the editor of the right-wing site you linked to and quoted from oerhaps??

Frank Zappa

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:13 am

Republicans LOVE this bill, for it's comedic value. Pelosi really knows how to pork...
https://twitter.com/Oilfield_Rando/stat ... 8887677957
Omfg. Nancy is demanding $278,000,000 for the.......

DrumDrumDrumDrumDrumDrumDrumDrumDrumDrum

INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE

Almost 300 mil for the I.R. f cking S.
She's working for Trump - I swear.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:17 pm

278E3DE0-BB3C-4418-924C-68964674863A.png
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:43 am

Cunt wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:13 am
Republicans LOVE this bill, for it's comedic value. Pelosi really knows how to pork...
https://twitter.com/Oilfield_Rando/stat ... 8887677957
Omfg. Nancy is demanding $278,000,000 for the.......

DrumDrumDrumDrumDrumDrumDrumDrumDrumDrum

INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE

Almost 300 mil for the I.R. f cking S.
She's working for Trump - I swear.
Yeah. It's a big number. But not that big.

If spent on staffing costs alone $300m for the IRS would pay for about an extra 7000 staff for a year on average US wages. That's about 140 extra staff per state to swiftly administer the biggest tax relief policy ever implemented. Of course, it wouldn't go just on wages - those extra workers all need offices and laptops and training and servers and filing cabinets and yadda yadda. Put like that it doesn't seem like that much really does it? In fact, she probably should've asked for more. :tea:

Frank Zappa

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:04 am

Why paid sick leave is essential to beating coronavirus
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:13 am

A huge gnashing of teeth and wailing from the corporate sector and right wing ideologues...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:53 am

And Scot Dutchy.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:05 pm

Republicans like me built this moment. Then we looked the other way.

Don’t just blame President Trump. Blame me — and all the other Republicans who aided and abetted and, yes, benefited from protecting a political party that has become dangerous to America. Some of us knew better.

But we built this moment. And then we looked the other way.
Many of us heard a warning sound we chose to ignore, like that rattle in your car you hear but figure will go away. Now we’re broken down, with plenty of time to think about what should have been done.

The failures of the government’s response to the coronavirus crisis can be traced directly to some of the toxic fantasies now dear to the Republican Party. Here are a few: Government is bad. Establishment experts are overrated or just plain wrong. Science is suspect. And we can go it alone, the world be damned.

All of these are wrong, of course. But we didn’t get here overnight. It took practice.
Long before Trump, the Republican Party adopted as a key article of faith that more government was bad. We worked overtime to squeeze it and shrink it, to drown it in the bathtub, as anti-tax activist Grover Norquist liked to say. But somewhere along the way, it became, “all government is bad.” Now we are in a crisis that can be solved only by massive government intervention. That’s awkward.

Next, somehow, the party of idealistic Teddy Roosevelt, pragmatic Bob Dole and heroic John McCain became anti-intellectual, by which I mean, almost reflexively opposed to knowledge and expertise. We began to distrust the experts and put faith in, well, quackery. It was 2013 when former Louisiana governor Bobby Jindal said the Republican Party “must stop being the stupid party.” By 2016, the party had embraced as its nominee a reality-TV host who later suggested that perhaps the noise from windmills causes cancer.

The Republican Party has gone from admiring William F. Buckley Jr., an Ivy League intellectual, to viewing higher education as a left-wing conspiracy to indoctrinate the young. In retribution, we started defunding education. Never mind that Republican leaders are among the most highly educated on the planet; it’s just that they now feel compelled to embrace ignorance as a cost of doing business. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, as an example, denounces “coastal elites” while holding degrees from Princeton University and Harvard Law School and having served as a Supreme Court clerk.

The GOP’s relationship with science has resembled some kind of Frankenstein experiment: Let’s see what happens when we play with the chemistry set! Conservatives have spent years trying to cut funds for basic science and research, lamenting government seed money for nearly every budding technology and then hoping for the best. In the weeks ahead, it’s not some fiery, anti-Washington populist with an XM radio gig who is going to save folks’ lives; it is more likely to be someone who has been studying this stuff for decades, almost certainly at some point with federal help or outright patronage.

continued: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... -one-them/

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:27 pm

We do blame you.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.