What 'fact of science' do you hate the most?

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

What 'fact of science' do you hate the most?

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:14 pm

With all this focused news, I thought something different might be a welcome diversion.

With many of us being in favour of accepting science - even when it is disagreeable, I thought I would see what you all found MOST disagreeable.

For me, one of the ugliest is that the US Army, who is VERY motivated to use people, doesn't use people below a certain IQ level. This suggests that there are a lot of people that can't be made productive - even at gunpoint.

I'm also not at all fond of sevens. Math would be a lot easier for me if everyone would just fuck off with the sevens.

So which fact of science is most disagreeable to you?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: What 'fact of science' do you hate the most?

Post by Animavore » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:16 pm

None. I don't hold any unrealistic ideology of which the facts of science are inconvenient.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:21 pm

Animavore wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:16 pm
None. I don't hold any unrealistic ideology of which the facts of science are inconvenient.
Of course you are above disliking a new fact. I'm surprised you even deign to respond to a thread like this, since it is clearly aimed at lesser humans.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:12 pm

Where to start? Cosmic speed limit? --fuck you!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:29 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:12 pm
If you are referring to the cry of the plebes 'you canna go faster than C', then I wouldn't worry. You CAN travel faster, if you just agree to travel less far.

Star Wars had it right, when Han bragged about doing the Kessel run in less than x parsecs. He was referring to how much he was able to reduce the distance by warping space. Hell, warp it enough, and your walking speed is enough to cross any distance.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:30 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:Where to start? Cosmic speed limit? --fuck you!
I've never really liked the Planck Length as a unit, specially one that measures how far light travels over a unit of Planck Time. The Wanck Length though, the unit that measures how far the bus travels before someone calls the police, now that's something I can get to grips with.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:48 pm

Cunt wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:29 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:12 pm
If you are referring to the cry of the plebes 'you canna go faster than C', then I wouldn't worry. You CAN travel faster, if you just agree to travel less far.

Star Wars had it right, when Han bragged about doing the Kessel run in less than x parsecs. He was referring to how much he was able to reduce the distance by warping space. Hell, warp it enough, and your walking speed is enough to cross any distance.
Newsflash: Star Wars is not science.

I don't exactly hate any fact of science, but I am miffed about:

1) The problem of induction. It renders everything we know scientifically provisional.
2) Flowing from the above, we can't even say our scientific theories correspond to reality. At best we can say that they make sets of observations as we perceive them cohere.
3) Nobody has come up with a unified theory of everything yet. Worse than that, we don't even know if there can be one.
4) Singularities. Those points beyond which our best laws no longer apply.
5) Light. Its wave–particle duality gave rise to that most confounding scientific theory of all.
6) Yes, and the speed limit. Until someone comes up with something that supersedes the general theory of relativity there is not even a theoretical possibility of breaking it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:58 pm

Hermit wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:48 pm
6) Yes, and the speed limit. Until someone comes up with something that supersedes the general theory of relativity there is not even a theoretical possibility of breaking it.
You get stuck on facts, and it gets in the way of inspiration.

I once saw a printed poster on a pal's wall. It was a distant nebula, and he said, proof of our existing ability to exceed light speed, AND our promise to do so in even more concrete ways.

He pointed out that, with my focus on that rendering of a distant nebula, I was THERE. Nevermind that it was a previous time, and an impossible distance away, my focus and thoughts were there as much as I was my Mom's focus.

More practically, if the 'speed across space' is indeed limited (seems rational) then it simply is a matter of altering space to allow travel using that speed.

Not even theoretically possible yet, but if it weren't for those fuckity sevens, it would be a lot easier to figure this shit out.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:35 pm

Cunt wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:58 pm
Hermit wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:48 pm
You get stuck on facts, and it gets in the way of inspiration.
Sorry about that. I blame the thread's title for getting stuck on facts of science. Somehow it makes me reluctant to accept that a fairy tale set in the future or waxing lyrical at the sight of a poster depicting a distant nebula qualify as proof of an existing ability to exceed light speed. Maybe if I took up smoking dope again...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:42 pm

You are just mad because Han was right.

I blame the education system.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:04 pm

12 parsecs is about 38 light-years.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:05 pm

Cunt wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:42 pm
You are just mad because Han was right.
:coffeespray: You're really flying now, man.

devogue

Post by devogue » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:20 am

Entropy is a bit of a cunt.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:29 am

devogue wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:20 am
I understand why you would say that. :hehe:

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:40 am

devogue wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:20 am
Ya, the most promising, optimistic view gets pretty fucking sad in the long run. If you go long enough.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote: