When was America Great?

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: When was America Great?

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:20 am

I call it straight theft. He pinched everything and never paid a dime.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:12 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:22 pm
Not so fast. Who really leads the world in science?
https://www.natureindex.com/news-blog/n ... in-science

You need nearly a dozen European countries combined to match or surpass our output, and with engineering, fuhgeddaboudit.

;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:29 am

Quantity over quality?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:37 pm

One of my favorite history teachers, favorite teachers ever really, was in Germany following WW2 looking for rocket tech. He was an interesting man.

Anyway, I'll see your rocketry and raise a microbiologist:

Maurice Ralph Hilleman (August 30, 1919 – April 11, 2005) was an American microbiologist who specialized in vaccinology and developed over 40 vaccines, an unparalleled record of productivity.[2][3] Of the 14 vaccines routinely recommended in current vaccine schedules, he developed eight: those for measles, mumps, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, chickenpox, meningitis, pneumonia and Haemophilus influenzae bacteria.[2] He also played a role in the discovery of the cold-producing adenoviruses, the hepatitis viruses, and the potentially cancer-causing[4] virus SV40.
He is credited with saving more lives than any other medical scientist of the 20th century.[5][6][7] Robert Gallo described him as "the most successful vaccinologist in history".[5]

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:16 pm

Yeah but America is shit.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:49 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:37 pm
One of my favorite history teachers, favorite teachers ever really, was in Germany following WW2 looking for rocket tech. He was an interesting man.

Anyway, I'll see your rocketry and raise a microbiologist:

Maurice Ralph Hilleman (August 30, 1919 – April 11, 2005) was an American microbiologist who specialized in vaccinology and developed over 40 vaccines, an unparalleled record of productivity.[2][3] Of the 14 vaccines routinely recommended in current vaccine schedules, he developed eight: those for measles, mumps, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, chickenpox, meningitis, pneumonia and Haemophilus influenzae bacteria.[2] He also played a role in the discovery of the cold-producing adenoviruses, the hepatitis viruses, and the potentially cancer-causing[4] virus SV40.
He is credited with saving more lives than any other medical scientist of the 20th century.[5][6][7] Robert Gallo described him as "the most successful vaccinologist in history".[5]
You're missing the point. Listen to Tom Lehrer's introduction to his ditty. He speaks of "the great, enormous superiority of American technology, of course - as provided by our great American scientists, such as Wernher von Braun". The point is that your nationalism is misplaced. von Braun was just one of thousands of foreigners scientific, technological and engineering practice in the USA benefited from, and those foreigners did not just come from Germany. Another American giant of science, Nikola Tesla, for instance, was born and raised in Croatia.

Turning to Hilleman now: Yes, he was born in Colorado, but look at the name. His father's name was Gustav Hillemann. His mother was born Anna Uelsmann. How American do those names sound?

Also, Maurice Hilleman worked for most of his life at Merck & Co, a German pharmaceutical company (started by an apothecary, , Friedrich Jacob Merck, in the town of my birth, Darmstadt, Germany anno 1668) that was expropriated by the US government during WWI.

Finally, pErv is right. Whenever I get depressed by our current, disgustingly backward Australian government, I turn my thoughts to the nation that elected Donald Trump as its head of government and feel a lot better.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:51 am

Can't say I feel good when I think of the state of American society/politics. Affects the world too much.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:24 am

How American do those names sound?
Very American actually. I was shocked to see you rely on names like that! This is America, heaven help you if you're ever required to take roll! :lol:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:27 am

When are we going to make Germany great again?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:28 am

What kind of name is that, Franch!? Yes sir. Where you from? Mississippi sir. Bullshit, you're Franch now.

:lol:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:22 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:24 am
How American do those names sound?
Very American actually. I was shocked to see you rely on names like that! This is America, heaven help you if you're ever required to take roll! :lol:
I should have seen that one coming, what with the USA's enthusiasm for expropriating anything they like - and rejecting as foreign any natives they dislike. It shouldn't surprise anyone, for instance, that Trump told Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib and Ayanna Pressley, three of who were actually born in the US, to go back to the countries from which they came, and that his adoring supporters promptly chorused "send 'em back".

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:37 am

Wait, so your nonsense about names becomes my mistake?

--//--

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:27 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:37 am
Wait, so your nonsense about names becomes my mistake?

--//--

Remember what I just said about US appropriation and expropriation?
Video unavailable
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
:hehe:

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:08 am

That's the whole point of the country.

Similar to Oz.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:39 am

laklak wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:08 am
That's the whole point of the country.

Similar to Oz.
What is? Nationalism?

Not a particularly good point.