..."how the British degree lost its value"

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

..."how the British degree lost its value"

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:25 am

The great university con: how the British degree lost its value
Never before has Britain had so many qualified graduates. And never before have their qualifications amounted to so little.
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/e ... ket-newtab

tldr: Moving away from academics towards a business centered approach has killed the value of a university degree.

Naturally the US spends more than everyone to achieve worse than middle of the pack. We do business good'er than y'all! --get rich while giving very little away

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: ..."how the British degree lost its value"

Post by Rum » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:18 am

They have become their own worst enemies. My daughter’s BA could easily have been completed in two years rather than three. Many degree courses are in effect now vocational courses and academia per se has taken a back seat.

Having said that a degree from Oxford or Cambridge still has a cache that people take notice of.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:50 pm

Yeah, the article mentions that happened almost overnight when vocational schools suddenly became universities able to hand out degrees.

I wonder if it's not too focused on too narrow a segment of the population though. Beyond a certain point --don't know how to find it-- I wouldn't expect any education system to turn out more of the very best. I don't think that is how it works. At least some of it is out of their control. But, are the hoi polloi better off than we were?

This is a conversation I've had with 42 regarding public education. He also likes to point to the absence of growth in the very best.

It's weird, because I suspect these same people believe in their innate superiority...

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:18 pm

I tol that teacher lady I didn't need no speeling to drive no boat.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.