Extinction Rebellion

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Extinction Rebellion

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:07 am

So it's not meaningless, it's just not optimal. I think someone needs to get you a dictionary for your birthday.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:09 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:07 am
So it's not meaningless, it's just not optimal. I think someone needs to get you a dictionary for your birthday.
Only those who want to wreck the planet support this plastics industry.

OOooohh - which reminds me, I should go try those new shoes out!
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:00 am

I keep my garden tidy, that'a about all I can do.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:02 am

laklak wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:00 am
I keep my garden tidy, that'a about all I can do.
I find it helpful to be mouthy and opinionated about this stuff.

It's complicated, and whatever organization issues the dogma, I think it's better to have individuals making their best decisions one by one.

So when I thought idling was more defensible, I defended it. Because a friend cared enough to oppose me, I thought about it a long time. Later, some new evidence changed my mind about a detail, and I stopped idling in those contexts (short stops)

If you aren't wrong - REALLY wrong in front of people you love, I think you are missing out.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:03 am

Cunt wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:02 am
... I think it's better to have individuals making their best decisions one by one...
While this is admirable it doesn't address the systemic issues. Individuals regulating their personal consumption are going to have little impact on the market-driven imperatives of transnational economics. Again I'd stress that the system will inevitably try and focus the problem at the consumer level and ultimately on the consumer individually while side-stepping the very important issues of production and supply.

Consider plastic supermarket bags as an example. These used to be given away for free in pretty much all UK shops. Now we're encouraged to do as Tim Minchin suggested and take our canvas bags when we go to the supermarket. And we might do this. But they still provide plastic bags - we just have to pay for them now - and the vast majority of our food shopping is sheathed in plastic packaging - which we probably put in a plastic bin. Plastic is ubiquitous in our everyday lives and yet, as producers and retailers march relentlessly towards their utopian state of total market saturation, we're somehow made personally responsible for consuming something a system of consumer economics we have little to no choice but to participating in. I mean, have you tried to live a life without plastic?

Plastic is just an example here. I use it because it's everywhere, and due to it's longevity it's noticeable when crops up in the environment where it doesn't belong - it's a ready reminder of humans' impact on the environment.

Nature: The rise in ocean plastics evidenced from a 60-year time series: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467- ... =affiliate
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:42 pm

Extinction Rebellion Edinburgh protest LIVE: Children's 'die-in' at Scottish Parliament

The Extinction Rebellion group have staged a mass "die-in" outside the Scottish Parliament on Wednesday.

Children who support the campaignlay down in front of the building at midday to highlight the impact of climate change.

It's part of an ongoing week of action from the protest group, who are calling for tougher action to reduce emissions.

On Monday evening, traffic in parts of the city centre was brought to a standstill by protesters who set up a road block on Lothian Road.

On Tuesday, two members of the group glued themselves to the car park entrance of the Scottish Parliament in a bid to make MSPs walk to work past protesters outside.onth, which the group say is "inadquate" to meet the ecological and climate crisis.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/ed ... e-16450924
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:01 pm

This is how we deal with greeny-weenies who block our pick-up trucks.
Attachments
soylent-green-scoops.jpg
soylent-green-scoops.jpg (29.43 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:25 pm

Cruel, but fair.

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:48 pm

UK citizens’ assembly on climate emergency announced

A citizens’ assembly on the climate emergency will take place this autumn to explore the fastest and fairest ways to end the UK’s carbon emissions.

Six House of Commons select committees announced the assembly on Thursday. It is the second of the three demands made by the Extinction Rebellion protest group to be addressed.

However, the group have criticised the initiative as it wants the assembly’s decisions to be binding, not advisory. Parliament declared a climate emergency in May, but the third Extinction Rebellion demand – action to cut emissions to net zero by 2025 – has not been met.

A citizens’ assembly is a representative group of members of the public who come together to learn about and debate issues, and come to conclusions on the best solutions. Parliament has had such assemblies before, for example to assess social care. The climate assembly will take place over a series of weekends in the autumn but the people and locations are yet to be determined.

“This isn’t a challenge for just one parliament, one political party, or one generation; to achieve net zero by 2050 we need to build cross-party and cross-generational support for the actions needed to deliver it,” said Rachel Reeves MP, chair of the business, energy and industrial strategy (BEIS) committee.

She said there needed to be both strong government action and buy-in from the public for the environmental, health and employment benefits that achieving zero emissions could bring to be realised. “I hope the citizens’ assembly will demonstrate that, when all is considered, there is strong public support – even demand – for the government to take the action necessary,” she said...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -announced

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:32 am

Paper straws won’t save the planet – we need a four-day week

When the Extinction Rebellion protesters took to the streets, I was doubtful about how effective their tactics would be in creating meaningful change. Fortunately, I have been proven wrong. Following their protests, the public now sees the climate crisis as a pressing issue. According to a recent survey, nearly 70% of people in the UK want urgent action on the climate emergency. Many political leaders are listening. In one of her last acts as prime minister, Theresa May set the target of the UK achieving zero carbon emissions by 2050. Although the date for zero carbon could be much sooner, it is an important step in the right direction.

However, to achieve a more ecologically sustainable economy, changing minds will not be enough, we need to change behaviours. Small tweaks such as not using plastic straws or minimising food waste will make some difference. But if we hope to make real progress, we need to make bigger alterations in what we do. One behaviour change that will have a positive impact on the environment is a four-day working week.

According to a cluster of recent studies, working less is good for the environment. One analysis found that if we spent 10% less time working, our carbon footprint would be reduced by 14.6%. If we cut the hours we work by 25% – or a day and a quarter each week – our carbon footprint would decline by 36.6%. Another study found that if people in the US (who work notoriously long hours) worked similar hours to Europeans (who work much less), then they would consume about 20% less energy. A more recent analysis of US states found a strong positive relationship between the number of hours people worked and their carbon emissions. The more they worked, the more they polluted. Working a four-day week, rather than, say, taking more holidays or working fewer hours each day, was a great way of reducing your environmental impact. The exact magnitude of that reduction is unclear, but the research seems to point in the same direction: lowering the number of hours we work would help to reduce our impact on the environment....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... r-day-week

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:44 am

Not only would it be good for the environment, but it would be good for society as well. And the increase in productivity (happier healthier workers) would go some way to compensate for the lost day.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:45 am

I.e. it makes eminent sense, and therefore won't be implemented.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:51 am

LOLZ... That's funny coz it's true. More spare time is more time to talk among ourselves - and the boss don't like that coz we'd probably talk about him.

Frank Zappa

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:53 am

Well, IN France we have the 35hr working week, conservatives and bosses are dead set on going back to 39 or 40... and it never achieved the overt goal of reducing unemployment because bosses never played the game of compensating the lost work hours by hiring more people.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:06 am

It works here and we are moving to a 32 hour week. In some sectors it is already happening.
Job sharing is slowly moving in as well especially in consultancy work. Two or even more people taking up one contract and having the complete freedom to organise themselves. Americans would be gob-smacked at the thought.
We have a shortage of workers in many fields. You wont see a Dutchman taking on extra work readily. His own time is too precious.
Not everyone wants to a millionaire.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".