BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:31 pm

Thank you for your support.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:31 pm
I for one value his cool, Nordic, impartial and level headed assessment of the situation.

He only has our welfare at heart. :bored:

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:24 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:31 pm
It has no point to support. Support what anyway. I am sorry but from an egoistic standpoint separation is the best way forward. For us anyway. Uncertainty is our worst enemy as the EU as far more important things to get on with.
But with Alex Johnson in charge I dont expect any great improvement in fact the contrary. He cant negotiate any more than May could so what is he going to achieve? A super-duper trade deal with Trump? Unless he pulls a really fast one and cancels Brexit, no deal is now almost the only result.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:54 pm

The point you seem to be missing is that if you are right about the economic consequences of our leaving it is going to cause a great deal of hardship and suffering here, especially if the Tories stay in power for any significant period. The 48% who voted remain will be part of that scenario whether we like it or not.

Your sneering distain comes across as you not giving a fuck about the country - or specifically its people - you abandoned all those years ago - which is probably accurate come to think of it.

Personally I think after a bumpy few years we’ll be ok and doing better than the experiment in nationalised subsidy, lending, shoring up and ocassional collapse the EU sometimes looks like.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:05 pm

I suspect there might be an economic collapse if there is a dealless brexit and the tories remain in power.

the rats are already leaving the City, and the City is the beating heart of British economy.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:30 pm

Rum wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:54 pm
The point you seem to be missing is that if you are right about the economic consequences of our leaving it is going to cause a great deal of hardship and suffering here, especially if the Tories stay in power for any significant period. The 48% who voted remain will be part of that scenario whether we like it or not.
Let's not forget that the majority of the public didn't vote for Brexit, and that 51.9% of a 72.2% turnout means the future of the country was decided by 37.5% of the eligible electorate (c.26% of the population). Now I'm not saying that this invalidates the result but i) it casts a bit of a shadow over the oft-heard 'will of the people' motif favoured by the Brexitarian faithful and their votories, and ii) it doesn't mean the UK population are a mob of recalcitrant anti-EU loons who require the kind of collective punishment some are happy to claim they deserve.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:53 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:30 pm
Rum wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:54 pm
Let's not forget that the majority of the public didn't vote for Brexit, and that 51.9% of a 72.2% turnout means the future of the country was decided by 37.5% of the eligible electorate (c.26% of the population). Now I'm not saying that this invalidates the result but i) it casts a bit of a shadow over the oft-heard 'will of the people' motif favoured by the Brexitarian faithful and their votories, and ii) it doesn't mean the UK population are a mob of recalcitrant anti-EU loons who require the kind of collective punishment some are happy to claim they deserve.
You. Are just spouting Scott Dutchy’s line there aren’t you? :hehe:

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:59 pm

What line is that Rumm? Why do you in the name o' the man go on about the country abandoned? That goes for the billions of migrants through out the world.
I cant help you get rid of the tories. That is your problem. The fact the country is in the shit mess it is is thanks to its own people. The gullibility of the UK people has been amazing and they still dont see it. There is fuck all to do about the deal. You accept May's deal, cancel Art 50 or have no deal. That's it. You are fucked and whatever the tories say there is no other way. Roll on the 51st/52nd state.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:27 am

You have to remember Scotty that we're still running on the old clock. We didn't get invaded by the Nazis and have our institution systematically dismantled by an occupying tyrant. The post-war impetus to improve the material conditions of the populations of Europe may have extended to the provision of health, educations, and social support services, housing, transport, infrastructure and utilities etc, but we never got round to revamping our democratic institutions that were creaking at the knees even then.

I guess castles made of sand fall in the sea... eventually.

And what do you expect us enlightened souls to do - it's not like we can cast our single vote in a FPTP system with any more force and just wash the Tories into the Thames. It a little unfair to blame the entire population for a government of any political hue under FPTP - a system which always suits those who already have power.

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:39 am

Brian Peacock wrote:

...It a little unfair to blame the entire population for a government of any political hue...
Why not? I blame all those fucking yanks for Trump! :lay:

(sorry, Seabass and Tero... :hehe: )
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:41 am

Brian

That was the whole purpose of the British political system; allowing the rich and titled to keep control. Why was the House of Lords never scrapped? Harold Wilson when he came to power complained bitterly about the Civil Service because it was so dominated by the "old boy" network. (the basis of "Yes Minister").

It was in some ways unfortunate that British Industry survived the war as it allowed the social structures to survive as well. The "Wederopbouw" that this country and others went through was not just the rebuilding of the country but also its social constructs and thanks to visionaries at the time resulted in the basis for the EU. The UK never had or wanted that opportunity. In the 50's the slogans were "I'm alright Jack" and "you never had it so good" but that sentiment has remained. The rich and titled were happy keeping it going as it suited them completely. The trouble is it did not fit when trying to work in an organisation like the EU. Not being top dog does not sit well in the UK even amongst the lower sections of society.

It is very hard to see a solution which is one of the main reasons I decided to leave over 50 years ago. It will almost need a revolution to remove the social constructs in the UK as the present political system preserves them.

I hope the UK will leave with a "no deal" as this will trigger a great assessment of the present situation (I hope). Staying in wont. The trouble is until the degrading financial situation really bites into the UK society nothing will happen. Part of the problem was the kid gloves that were worn by the EEC when the UK joined. Getting everyone on board at the time was more important than the imposition of EEC ideals which today would be very much the case. For the UK to leave and rejoin would also extremely shake those much held social constructs which is the basis of my standpoint. It is unfortunate that is interpreted by some as unfriendly and even bitter when in fact I feel nothing for the land of my birth.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:11 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:41 am
I hope the UK will leave with a "no deal" as this will trigger a great assessment of the present situation (I hope).
That would be the worst outcome.
...both for the UK and the EU.

That is why your hopes will be dashed.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:09 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:59 pm
What line is that Rumm? Why do you in the name o' the man go on about the country abandoned? That goes for the billions of migrants through out the world.
I cant help you get rid of the tories. That is your problem. The fact the country is in the shit mess it is is thanks to its own people. The gullibility of the UK people has been amazing and they still dont see it. There is fuck all to do about the deal. You accept May's deal, cancel Art 50 or have no deal. That's it. You are fucked and whatever the tories say there is no other way. Roll on the 51st/52nd state.
I was referring to Cunty’s meme of yesterday (or maybe the day before) that Brian only posted stuff that he knows you agree with.

Cunty’s moved in now, his latest meme is that everyone here is afraid.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:32 pm

Barring something unforeseen the stars have configured themselves in such an extraordinarily bizarre fashion that it now looks highly likely that Boris Johnston will be our next prime minister.

At some point a few years ago i’m sure I slipped into some weird alternative parallel version of what was a more or less coherent reality and into some Alice in Wonderland version.

I see no other explanation for the way things seem to be going.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:19 pm

Rum wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:32 pm
I see no other explanation for the way things seem to be going.
I see it as people who think differently, voting differently.

It's endlessly shocking to me how polarised the issue of border control is. It should be easy to understand for anyone who locks their home at night - you want control of who is in your space.

However, it seems that there are always strong efforts to make it seem more about hate, less about love.

Tell me, do you lock your borders (in your home, or your country) because you love those within it? Or because you hate those outside?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.