"Alt-right" Still Parading Ignorance, Stupidity, Malice, Etc.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: "Alt-right" Still Parading Ignorance, Stupidity, Malice, Etc.

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:19 pm

Hermit wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:27 pm
Norway is no more gated than the USA. It is also a capitalist country with strong welfare policies, and unlike the UK, which used its share of the North Sea oil revenues to cut income tax rates for the rich, then sold it to the private sector, Norway managed its share wisely. Most of its oil revenue has not even been spent yet. It's funding Norway's pension program. As of January 2014 there are £100,000 salted away for every man, woman and child. In my book it's a good idea to save the windfall for rainy days/old age rather than frittering it away.
Hmmm... fritters. :food:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:32 pm

What exactly are you getting at? Something wrong with Norway being a capitalist country with strong welfare policies? Unfair because the US missed the bus during the decades it had a trade surplus?

No regrets about the repeated deficits caused by repeatedly voting governments into office that keep lowering taxes instead of using the money for social welfare?

Just not fair, is it?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:49 pm

:lol:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:11 pm

What exactly are you getting at?
Ya know, that Norway being a gated community with an unusually large energy industry makes comparisons to the US suspect. --apples to oranges

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:18 pm

well, an orange, like an apple is a fruit with delicious juice.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:24 pm

...and through the alchemy of taxation we can effortlessly convert one to the other!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:26 pm

:hehe:
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:03 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:11 pm
What exactly are you getting at?
Ya know, that Norway being a gated community with an unusually large energy industry makes comparisons to the US suspect. --apples to oranges
Norway was a capitalist country with strong welfare policies for decades before it drilled its first oil and gas wells, and again, it is less gated than the US. In 2017 16.8% of Norway's total population consisted of immigrants. This compares to 14.4% of the total US population being immigrants in 2015, the latest figure I could find.

Once you get yourself some rudimentary information we can start a fruitful discussion of other aspects concerning apples and oranges.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:57 pm

The gated community comment is not a statement about immigration. It is about how affluent pricks look out from their privileged positions and ask why others can't get their shit together.

But since you brought it up, we should examine the make up of US immigration vs Norway's. I wonder whose argument the facts would strengthen?
Once you get yourself some rudimentary information we can start a fruitful discussion of other aspects concerning apples and oranges.
Typical Hermit. I don't know as much as you, that doesn't mean the conversation can't be productive.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:25 pm

The gated community folks! :lol: Can you imagine believing these things about yourself?

www.courant.com/opinion/op-ed/hc-op-and ... utType=amp

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:44 pm

I thought that was a very good analysis of the essential difference between Norway and the US. Thanks, Sean Hayden.

Attempting to tie this in with the overall topic of this thread, I found an interview with Jonathan Metzl, the author of Dying of Whiteness: How the Politics of Racial Resentment is Killing America's Heartland. He discusses the emotional basis of white resentment and why it has a stranglehold on a particular American demographic. These people would rather literally die than willingly contribute to policies that enhance overall health and welfare of the population, because it would also enhance the health and welfare of people they despise.

Perhaps it will take time for these folks to go ahead and fade from the scene, and there is hope that their sons and daughters won't be caught in the same harmful mindset. This thread is about the alt-right, most of whom are young white men, but though their numbers have increased in the past few years, they're still a minority of young white men. Racial resentment has to die down in the US before real progress can be made toward the Norwegian model of recognizing that we are all in this together.

'Scholar Jonathan Metzl: White supremacy is literally killing white people'
I argue in "Dying of Whiteness" that we need to look at this first and foremost as a policy issue, as seen with the rising rates of gun deaths, despair from not having health care or health insurance, and tax cuts in states like Kansas that eviscerated funding for roads and bridges and schools. These policies lead to public divisiveness which in turn creates that empathy gap.

Here is an example. There is all this rhetoric and messaging by the NRA and other parts of the right wing which connects guns to fear of "black crime" or "crime by minorities."

If you look at who are actually the victims of most gun deaths in this country -- there are 40,000 a year and two-thirds of those are gun suicides. Upwards of 80 or so percent of those suicides are white men. Ironically, white men are the main people who are dying of gun deaths in this country but there's no serious public discussion about it because of whiteness being powerful and not being interrogated enough.

That is just one example of the ways in which the type of whiteness that white people are being sold by many politicians, the news media and other influencers is literally at odds with white people's lives.

In my book I am not discussing whiteness as a biological category. Whiteness is a social contract and a type of self-identity. One of the unifying threads of whiteness for the people I spoke to for my book was that whiteness is a privileged position that is under attack by the government or immigrants or minorities. Whiteness is something that needs to be defended. I talked to people who were literally on death's doorstep and in low-income housing communities and medical clinics who were not getting health care because Tennessee didn't fully adopt the Affordable Care Act. The one thing they were holding onto was that at least their tax dollars weren't going to what they said were "Mexicans and welfare queens."

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:15 am

I'll pray for you.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:33 am

:lol:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:37 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:25 pm
The gated community folks! :lol: Can you imagine believing these things about yourself?

www.courant.com/opinion/op-ed/hc-op-and ... utType=amp
[The ship's owner] is Norway’s second-richest person and immediately got lambasted. Not for his malfunctioning ship but for mostly avoiding paying taxes to Norway by moving to Switzerland.
Where's the gated bit? The ship's owner living in Switzerland to avoid taxes? Is he it?

So much for what you call "a gated community". Also, compare the Gini coefficient, after taxes and transfers of the OECD countries: Norway with 0.250 is the third most equitable, while the USA with 0.378 is the fourth least equitable.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:41 am

Absurd. With every advantage they claim the success to be the result of a fundamentally different character. It's easier for Norway to acheive what it has, is this really a controversial statement?