The Blues

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: The Blues

Post by Forty Two » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:32 pm

JimC wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:16 am
Cultural appropriation...

Just sayin'...
Indeed, I was thinking about the Ram Jam version of Black Betty. Not only cultural appropriation, but racism. Black Betty, seriously???
Whoa, black betty (bam-ba-lam) Whoa, black betty (bam-ba-lam) Black betty had a child (bam-ba-lam) The damn thing gone wild (bam-ba-lam) She said, “i’m worryin’ outta mind” (bam-ba-lam) The damn thing gone blind (bam-ba-lam) I said oh, black betty (bam-ba-lam) Whoa, black betty (bam-ba-lam)

Oh, black betty bam-ba-lam Whoa, black betty bam-ba-lam She really gets me high bam-ba-lam You know that’s no lie bam-ba-lam She’s so rock steady bam-ba-lam And she’s always ready bam-ba-lam Whoa, black betty bam-ba-lam Whoa, black betty bam-ba-lam

Get It!

Whoa, black betty bam-ba-lam Whoa, black betty bam-ba-lam She’s from birmingham bam-ba-lam Way down in alabam’ bam-ba-lam Well, she’s shakin’ that thing bam-ba-lam Boy, she makes me sing bam-ba-lam Whoa, black betty bam-ba-lam Whoa, black betty bam-ba-lam
This song was once the fight song or "pump up the crowd" song for the University of New Hampshire's hockey team. But it was dubbed "theoretically racist" and removed...

A white 1970s band singing the blues and covering a Leadbelly song about a black mother and her "thing" and the fact that she's "always ready," well, in this conservative age, we cannot have that heard by children and young people, or anyone, because it perpetuates racial stereotypes and may well be hate speech. :prof:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:35 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:05 pm
Blind Boy Fuller sings, "Baby, for my dinner, I want ham and eggs... And for my supper, mama, 1 want to feel your legs," which I'm sure is something we can all relate to...

:smoke:
If he wasn't black, that would be sexist and objectification. She's called a "baby" -- I mean, as if calling women "girls" isn't bad enough - here she's a "baby." He's putting her in the traditional role of his servant, cooking him dinner and he gets to dictate not only that she makes him dinner, but exactly what she makes. Then he casts in the role of his sexual servant, objectifying her as a reference to just her legs, and analogizing sex with her to another meal - having her for supper. The song screams entitlement, male domination and female subservience. :prof:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:49 pm

Why do you hate the disabled? :tea: I think we can leave the identity politics out of this one mate! :D The lyrics might seem ridiculous to us now, but the guitar playing and vocal performance remain just as sublime as they always were.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:12 pm

Brian, please.... differently abled? hello!

Are we "blind" because our sixth senses don't work? :prof:

Excusing these lyrics as products of their time which may "seem" problematic to us now is like, well, excusing Robert E. Lee for being a product of his times. :thinks:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:14 pm

You're only saying that cos you've never had a big leg woman... Muddy knows what I mean. He sure knows...

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:15 pm

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:16 pm

:tup: That's about as good as it gets isn't it(?) :tup:

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Frank Zappa

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:25 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:14 pm
You're only saying that cos you've never had a big leg woman... Muddy knows what I mean. He sure knows...

Mississippi John Hurt's Candy Man has a stick 9 inches long, and all the hogs really chew that corn....

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:26 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:16 pm
I always wished I could play the guitar.... never could seem to get it together. I even took lessons for a while. I could barely get a few chords together.....

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:27 pm

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:35 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:26 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:16 pm
I always wished I could play the guitar.... never could seem to get it together. I even took lessons for a while. I could barely get a few chords together.....
You don't need many. :biggrin:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:31 pm

Aye, three chords at most - and just get a bit of a groove on, like this Roy Rogers lick...

Frank Zappa

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:30 pm

Contentious proposition: Without the British 'Blues revival' of the mid to late 60s, which ultimately generated the likes of Eric Clapton, Led Zepplin (a bit later) and the like, the blues would be an even more obscure backwater of music genres these days. For example these guys (who I saw live with Clapton in 66 or 67 - in a small club venue). Arguably Hendrix beefed up Brit style blues and took it back home with him as something else altogether.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:13 pm

The Brits were a HUGE influence. Jimi was basically unknown here until Chas Chandler (formerly of The Animals) brought him to London and hooked him up with Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell. So many great British blues bands and players.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.