Pocahontas

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Pocahontas

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:50 pm

Since Pocahontas self-identified with the English and called herself "Rebecca," shouldn't we respect her proper noun and refer to her as Rebecca?

Also, she died in Gravesend, England, and is buried there at St. George's Church. But, her body's whereabouts is unknown. Has any search been done to locate her corpse?

So, she married John Rolfe when she was like 17 or 18, and ultimately traveled to England. When given the chance to re-join her people, she chose to stay with the English.

Is she anyone that shows up in history class in England? I would doubt it, but she traveled there, met royalty, and died and was buried there, so perhaps there is some lore associated with her over there.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar