How could Germany have won WW2?

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: How could Germany have won WW2?

Post by Hermit » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:14 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:49 am
I agree WW2 was unwinnable for Hitler. One thing he had always too little of was oil. Which is why he switched from occupying the UK and going for the Soviet oil fields. He could not occupy the UK without oil. He totally underestimated the response from the USA and Commonwealth countries.
More importantly, he grossly underestimated the strength of the USSR. When planning Operation Barbarossa, he told his generals that as far as Russia is concerned, all that needs to be done is to kick the door in. The rest will then just collapse like a rotten timber hut. By June 1942 he was truly shell-shocked. In a secretly recorded conversation with Mannerheim, Commander-in-Chief of the Finnish Defence Forces, he expressed his amazement at the gigantic number of tanks the Soviet factories manage to keep producing and rolling up to the front. He had gone fucking scared to the extent that he went to Finland to beg them not to come to some sort of a ceasefire or any other agreement with the Soviets.

Germany was really good at conducting a Blitzkrieg, but had a snowflake's chance in hell of winning a protracted war. Its last successful Blitz campaign of significance was France. It was losing ever since it abandoned the invasion of the UK, even if it was not obvious at the time.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:32 am

Oh I agree totally the Soviet nation was completely underestimated. The people's sheer will power to resist the attacks. This was exemplified by Stalingrad.
I wonder if he ever read Napoleon's campaign into Russia?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:03 pm

Those who do not learn from history etc.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:21 pm

What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?