White People Are Cowards.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Re: White People Are Cowards.

Post by rainbow » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:38 pm

Animavore wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:57 am
That's nice.
I don't think that racial categorisation is nice.

What is "nice" about it?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:50 pm

rainbow wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:38 pm
Animavore wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:57 am
That's nice.
I don't think that racial categorisation is nice.

What is "nice" about it?
Probably not but it exists and people are judged and prejudiced based on it and denying this doesn't make the problem go away.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:58 pm

I'm a white Southerner whose maternal family owned slaves. I feel no sense of shame over that, nor do I feel the need to apologize to anyone for their actions. It wasn't me, y'all, what done it. Others may categorize and judge me based on the actions of a whole shitload of people I have nothing to do with, I can't stop them, but I can tell them to go fuck themselves.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:04 pm

ICE director whines about being compared to Nazis while evoking the Nuremberg defence.

https://politicsmaven.io/theintellectua ... 73kZqpeNA/

:|
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:09 pm

Irony is lost on some people. But then again, a lot of people think irony is when it rains on your wedding.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:12 pm

Animavore wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:08 am
Ah! I love the smell of white, righteous indignation in the morning.
I read the article, and I see you've done quite a good job of poisoning the well here. Nonetheless, two things strike me about the piece: First, skin tone (or presumed race-group membership if you like) cannot be so glibly applied as a signifier of automatic culpability and/or responsibility, 'race', whatever the fuck that is, is not a simple black and white issue (pun intended) where one or other group is deemed virtuous while all other groups shoulder a special burden of ignominy, shame and guilt (or vice versa), and secondly; defining a particular group as degenerate, either in political or ethical terms, and then applying a broad brush condemnation of everyone in that group is not only just another way of defining a 'them-and-us' it's also a classic form of baiting trolling - an attempt to force people to justify themselves on the basis of who they are and not on what they say or do. My skin tone, and therefore my presumed race-group membership, does not make me responsible for the actions of a corrupt and bigoted wannabe dictator (even a racially motivated one) any more than it lends my tacit support to such barbarism.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:22 pm

Again, white people means white Americans in this piece. Not white people as a whole. In typical American, isolationist fashion it forgets the rest of the World exists.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:30 pm

'White America' is just as porous and bankrupt a concept as any nominal so-called race group. The group the author is railing against is 'Republican bigots' and/or 'the Trump administration'. Invoking 'race' in this manner entrenches the the very dichotomies the author cites as a root cause of the policy.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:34 pm

He also rails against weak Dems and people standing idly by because they're comfortable.

I think it's a good piece. If it gets people mad it's doing its job

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:36 pm

Gotta agree with Rum. It's a pretty lame article. Lumping all "wypipo" or even white Americans together is just as wrong as lumping all black people together. There there have been millions of white Americans in the streets protesting Trump's bullshit, giving money to organizations and politicians that oppose his bullshit, exposing his bullshit in the media, and voting against the Republicans.

Conservatives are the problem, not white people. That author is either a racist or a provocateur.

For the record, I'm a half-white American. No righteous indignation here, I just don't like bigotry of any kind.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:07 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:30 pm
'White America' is just as porous and bankrupt a concept as any nominal so-called race group. The group the author is railing against is 'Republican bigots' and/or 'the Trump administration'. Invoking 'race' in this manner entrenches the the very dichotomies the author cites as a root cause of the policy.
Exactly. It is utter rubbish to take the racist path (yes, Ani, it is clearly a racist remark), it simply amplifies the incredible polarisation going on.

People of any colour can attack the Trump policy for a combination of rational and compassionate reasons, we don't need unnecessary distractions. And the outpouring of anger from a wide section of the US community has forced Trump to do a cynical backflip (yes, I know the policy will still involve detention...).
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:22 pm

I think this one has gone over your heads and I'm not sure many of you got past the title so I'll leave it at that.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:31 pm

Animavore wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:22 pm
I think this one has gone over your heads and I'm not sure many of you got past the title so I'll leave it at that.
I read the whole article. I understand his anger, but I don't think that kind of rhetoric helps anyone.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:39 am

Animavore wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:22 pm
Seabass has an anger towards Trump and his supporters that is palpably incandescent, but even he disagrees with you, Ani, for much the same reasons as Brian and I... ;)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:52 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:12 pm
Animavore wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:08 am
Ah! I love the smell of white, righteous indignation in the morning.
I read the article, and I see you've done quite a good job of poisoning the well here. Nonetheless, two things strike me about the piece: First, skin tone (or presumed race-group membership if you like) cannot be so glibly applied as a signifier of automatic culpability and/or responsibility, 'race', whatever the fuck that is, is not a simple black and white issue (pun intended) where one or other group is deemed virtuous while all other groups shoulder a special burden of ignominy, shame and guilt (or vice versa), and secondly; defining a particular group as degenerate, either in political or ethical terms, and then applying a broad brush condemnation of everyone in that group is not only just another way of defining a 'them-and-us' it's also a classic form of baiting trolling - an attempt to force people to justify themselves on the basis of who they are and not on what they say or do. My skin tone, and therefore my presumed race-group membership, does not make me responsible for the actions of a corrupt and bigoted wannabe dictator (even a racially motivated one) any more than it lends my tacit support to such barbarism.
I think the point is, that as a white person, we have more power on average to implement change in a Caucasian society. And that's unarguably true.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.