American Football

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: American Football

Post by JimC » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:12 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:In further cheerleader news, I see the New Orleans Saints are rightly being sued for sex discrimination by a sacked cheerleader because her terms of employment prohibited her from being pictured in underwear, a demand not made of male players.

Details of their entire policy towards cheerleaders are coming out, and it's all very sexist, prohibiting cheerleaders from fraternising with players, but putting all responsibility for that on the women.
OK, so no fraternising, but can they fuck 'em?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:14 pm

they can, the only thing is not to get caught at it.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:38 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:In further cheerleader news, I see the New Orleans Saints are rightly being sued for sex discrimination by a sacked cheerleader because her terms of employment prohibited her from being pictured in underwear, a demand not made of male players.

Details of their entire policy towards cheerleaders are coming out, and it's all very sexist, prohibiting cheerleaders from fraternising with players, but putting all responsibility for that on the women.
No no no. These players are elite spurts porsonalities in what is quite possibly sport's most competitive arena - they are the human equivalent of highly strung thoroughbred racehorse champions. The success of the entire organisation depends on these heroes selflessly putting their limbs and long-term cognitive well-being on the line every day. It's only right therefore that cheerleaders should have to go commando and must never, on any account, be allowed to upset, confuse, or distract the men upon whom the ongoing financial viability of a franchise depends.

:tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:15 am

They are a load of pussies in armour. :swoon: :cheer: :sadcheer:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:18 pm

If they don't like the contract, don't be an NFL cheerleader. Pretty simple, actually.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:40 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:They are a load of pussies in armour. :swoon: :cheer: :sadcheer:

:hilarious:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:00 pm

Once again the wrong sport. Who is comparing football to egg ball? Egg ball is for pansies.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:09 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Once again the wrong sport. Who is comparing football to egg ball? Egg ball is for pansies.
Egg ball? What's that? Rugby?

Until 1870, rugby was played with a near spherical ball with an inner-tube made of a pig's bladder. In 1870 Richard Lindon introduced rubber inner-tubes and because of the pliability of rubber the shape gradually changed from a sphere to an egg. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_ball

By the way, in your country, the Netherregions, the most popular sport is soccer, so...you really aren't in a position to argue about pansy sports, are you? The second and third most popular sports in your country are "field hockey" and "volleyball." LOL. Oh, unless you're talking about individual sports, and then you blokes like the non-pussy sports, tennis, golf and gymnastics the most.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_in_the_Netherlands

So, which sport are you suggesting is less "pussy" than Americn football, again?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:57 pm

You really dont know anything do you. American football sucks. Which other country plays it? It is a pathetic game. Men running around in armour because they are so fragile.
You dont have to be fit either because you only play in 15 second bursts. All that stopping and starting.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:41 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:You really dont know anything do you.
About sports? I do know a good deal, actually.
Scot Dutchy wrote: American football sucks.
In your opinion, maybe. In many other people's opinions, not. Some people think cricket is a great sport. Others don't. What's the point?
Scot Dutchy wrote: Which other country plays it?
What does that have to do with (a) whether it is a pussy or pansey sport? What does that have to do with whether it "sucks" as a sport or not? Ice hockey is not played much more widely, and it's a great sport, too.
Scot Dutchy wrote: It is a pathetic game. Men running around in armour because they are so fragile.
Well, they don't wear armor, they wear uniforms and pads, and it's not because they are fragile. It's because they beat the hell out of each other. They are incredibly strong and powerful, and they hit harder than in any other sport.
Scot Dutchy wrote: You dont have to be fit either because you only play in 15 second bursts. All that stopping and starting.
The suggestion that American football players don't have to be fit is ridiculous. You say I don't know anything? You have no idea about a sport that you're unfamiliar with, and you declare it sucks and declare it not to require fitness?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:03 pm

If you want to watch a really tough game, watch some crunching tackles in Aussie rules football. No helmets, no padding, and always the odd punch-up...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:16 pm

JimC wrote:If you want to watch a really tough game, watch some crunching tackles in Aussie rules football. No helmets, no padding, and always the odd punch-up...
Honestly, I think the "padding" makes Merkin football worse. The helmets and armor are very hard, so the impacts are really brutal. More mass, more momentum, faster deceleration on impact. Also, some studies on hockey have shown that a player's behavior can be influenced by the presence or absence of protective gear. The armor gives players a false sense of security that encourages them to hit harder and be more reckless. One can assume the presence of similar behaviour in football.

The internet gives conflicting stats on which sport causes more injuries, but most of the articles I've seen say that NFL players tend to sustain more head and knee injuries, while AFL players tend to sustain more spine injuries. The head injuries are what make NFL really fucked up. There was a recent study in which a bunch of deceased NFL players were autopsied and it was found that 96% of them had CTE.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:40 pm

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:26 am

Now for Hurling and Gaelic Football you have to be fit. The pitch is huge 150 x 100 (rugby 100 x 75). Helmets have been compulsory since 2010 for all levels of the game but apart from that there is no other protection. Hurling is a fast and furious game with few stops.

Here is Comogie the women's hurling:

The toughest ball game in the world.

There are no off-side rules.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:33 pm

All fucking pussy games, the lot of them. Real men play the Aztec Ball Game. You don't just lose the game, you lose your head.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.