US rejects UN resolution condemning use of death penalty...

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

US rejects UN resolution condemning use of death penalty...

Post by Animavore » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:45 pm

The United Nations approved a resolution Friday condemning the use of the death penalty in a discriminatory fashion, including its use to punish “apostasy, blasphemy, adultery, and consensual same-sex relations.” But the United States joined a minority of states who voted against it.

ILGA, the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, and Intersex Association, highlighted the outcome of the vote. Executive director Renato Sabbadini noted in a statement how atrocious some countries’ anti-gay laws are, saying, “It is unconscionable to think that there are hundreds of millions of people living in States where somebody may be executed simply because of whom they love.”

Four countries punish homosexuality with death (Iran, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, and Yemen), as do certain provinces in Nigeria and Somalia and ISIS-controlled territories in northern Iraq and northern Syria. The nations of Afghanistan, Mauritania, Pakistan, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates also permit the death penalty, but rarely enforce it.

Iraq, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE were among the 13 countries that joined the United States in rejecting the resolution, which was introduced by Belgium, Benin, Costa Rica, France, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, and Switzerland. A total of 27 countries supported it.
https://thinkprogress.org/united-nation ... 6a5101ec9/
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

devogue

Re: US rejects UN resolution condemning use of death penalty

Post by devogue » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:51 pm

Well they would, wouldn't they? :tea:

Poor America, wallowing in the mire with the skidmarks of the international community.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:57 pm

To be fair - I don't think the Federal Government has the power to ban it. States decide individually.

They should obviously stop twatting about and get them all to tow the line of course.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:38 pm

Rum wrote:To be fair - I don't think the Federal Government has the power to ban it. States decide individually.

They should obviously stop twatting about and get them all to tow the line of course.
I like it!

Another civil war should preoccupy the US long enough for the rest of the world to get on with life...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Drewish
I'm with stupid /\

Post by Drewish » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:10 am

Proud of my country sometimes.
Nobody expects me...

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:45 am

You think homosexuals should be put to death?

Can't tell if serious or trolling...
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:23 am

Complete bullshit rationale for the 'No' vote. It seems that as far as the current administration (and to be fair, past administrations as well) is concerned, just about any resolution against state use of the death penalty is a no-go. The US has never voted for any UN resolution against the death penalty regardless of the situation.

'State Dept. Falsely Explains Vote Against UN Resolution Condemning Death Penalty for Same-Sex Relations'
Forced to explain its vote publicly, the U.S. Dept. of State is wrongly characterizing a United Nations resolution that condemns the use of the death penalty for same-sex relations and other acts. On Friday the Trump administration voted against a United Nations Human Rights Council resolution that urges countries to examine the death penalty, especially when used arbitrarily or in a discriminatory manner.

State Dept. spokesperson Heather Nauert, quoting a State Dept. representative to the UN's Human Rights Council, told reporters Wednesday the U.S. voted against the resolution in part because it "called for the abolition of the death penalty altogether."

That is incorrect – NCRM could find no place in the resolution calling for the abolition of the death penalty.

The UN resolution does call on nations that have yet to abolish the death penalty to "consider" signing a covenant "aiming at the abolition of the death penalty." But it does not outright call for the abolition of the death penalty.

The resolution calls on countries to "undertake further studies to identify the underlying factors that contribute to the substantial racial and ethnic bias in the application of the death penalty, where they exist, with a view to developing effective strategies aimed at eliminating such discriminatory practices," for example.

The resolution also condemns the use of the death penalty "against persons with mental or intellectual disabilities and persons below 18 years of age at the time of the commission of the crime, as well as pregnant women."

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:12 am

I have been vilified by some Americans by using the phrase "the rest of the civilised world" to describe democracies other than the USA.

I assert that it is a perfectly reasonable expression...
And my gin!

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:20 am

JimC wrote:I have been vilified by some Americans by using the phrase "the rest of the civilised world" to describe democracies other than the USA.

I assert that it is a perfectly reasonable expression...
"The rest of" is probably superfluous.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:20 am

Fair point...
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:17 am

States in the US continue to execute the mentally disabled despite the Supreme Court of the United States ruling that such executions are unconstitutional. For instance, Texas more or less says that if they're not as dumb as Lennie in Of Mice and Men, it's OK to kill them. I wonder what Lennie's IQ was? Oh that's right, he never took an IQ test because he's a fucking fictional character.
Texas put Ladd [IQ 67] to sleep by lethal injection having deemed him not to be sufficiently mentally impaired according to its bizarre criterion for the condition. Under what are known as “Briseno factors”, the state sets out the profile of an individual whom ordinary Texans would agree was intellectually disabled. It points to Lennie Small, the lumbering and childlike character in John Steinbeck’s 1937 novel Of Mice and Men, identifying him as the legal yardstick.

Ladd’s lawyer, Brian Stull of the American Civil Liberties Union, said that his client’s fate should not have depended “on a novella. Instead of sticking to the standards set by science, they refer to a character in Of Mice and Men.”
In 2014, Texas executed a man with an IQ of 61. The Supreme Court may have ruled against it, but damned if the US is going to let the UN tell it to stop killing the mentally disabled.