New York City is fining people for ignoring pronoun orders.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

New York City is fining people for ignoring pronoun orders.

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 25, 2016 5:13 pm

Run a business in New York City?

Well, if someone demands that you refer to them by a specific pronoun or title, you have to kowtow and do it. You can be fined up to $250,000 if you don't, and it doesn't even matter if the word is actually a word in a standard dictionary.

No view has been expressed by the NYC human rights commission as to whether my preferred pronoun of "Your Majesty" counts. Maybe if I were in a marginalized group I could order people around and make them use the words I tell them to use.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Tyrannical

Re: New York City is fining people for ignoring pronoun orde

Post by Tyrannical » Wed May 25, 2016 5:16 pm

I always use the preferred inclusive pronoun, she/he/it. Shit.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 25, 2016 5:22 pm

I wonder what happens if a Spanish speaking gender fluid non-binary dipshit demands that Spanish only be spoken to "Zer" in gender neutral terms.... I demand all your gender specific words that end in "o" or "a" be respelled with an "m" instead. Because, well ,that's my preferred pronoun and gender reference.

And, female comedians are on the lookout for people adding a little extra stress on the end of the word, like they are using the word "comedienne."

Do as your told, people! You're privileged, and a marginalized person is issuing orders....
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed May 25, 2016 5:27 pm

The Latin languages are fucked if they ever want to impliment gender neutrality... :hehe:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 25, 2016 5:30 pm

eRv wrote:The Latin languages are fucked if they ever want to impliment gender neutrality... :hehe:
That isn't even a joke in NYC, given the number of Spanish speakers there are. But, of course, some exception will be made, designating Spanish speakers as marginalized and not requiring them to follow the same rules.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed May 25, 2016 6:14 pm

Forty Two wrote:
eRv wrote:The Latin languages are fucked if they ever want to impliment gender neutrality... :hehe:
That isn't even a joke in NYC, given the number of Spanish speakers there are. But, of course, some exception will be made, designating Spanish speakers as marginalized and not requiring them to follow the same rules.
How so, Spanish doesn't have the neutral gender, unlike, say, German, English or Russian...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 25, 2016 6:17 pm

Well, that's the problem with Spanish. It's gendered. Just because Spanish has more gendered terms than, say, English, doesn't mean people shouldn't be allowed to object to being misgendered. A Latina should be allowed to demand to be called a Latino or a Latinx, or something else, no? Or, is standard language only subject to individual preference in English?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed May 25, 2016 6:37 pm

Eff, it's not a matter of preference but of the nature of things,
Trans girls were born men but I call them 'sir' until they are operated and no longer men.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 25, 2016 7:14 pm

Svartalf wrote:Eff, it's not a matter of preference but of the nature of things,
Trans girls were born men but I call them 'sir' until they are operated and no longer men.
No no. Not if they ask you to call them ma'am or zhe or she or whatever -- NYC considers that illegal, and will fine you. LOL.

If a pre-op tranny tells you to call it ma'am, then you better hop-to.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed May 25, 2016 8:10 pm

I'll see that if and when I ever go to NY

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed May 25, 2016 8:43 pm

Forty Two wrote:I wonder what happens if a Spanish speaking gender fluid non-binary dipshit demands that Spanish only be spoken to "Zer" in gender neutral terms....
What if they weren't a dipshit?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed May 25, 2016 9:09 pm

:lol:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed May 25, 2016 9:24 pm

In a science fiction story I read, with an alien race with 3 sexes, one of them neuters, the author use "xe" when referring to a neuter...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed May 25, 2016 9:34 pm

I've just finished re reading Haldeman's The Forever War in which the whole of humanity are made gay to ease population pressure - meaning that everyone can be referred to as 'she'.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed May 25, 2016 10:48 pm

I've read a story on the Washington Post site that talks about potential fines, but have yet to find anything anywhere that says that even a single fine has been levied for use of an unwanted pronoun let alone that it has been happening, as the thread title says.

"No, NYC Did Not Just Introduce A $250,000 Fine For Any Incorrect Use Of Gender Pronouns" | Gothamist

Statement from the New York Human Rights Commissioner:
Accidentally misusing a transgender person's preferred pronoun is not a violation of the law and will not result in a fine...In fact, our guidance encourages people to ask transgender and gender non-conforming individuals how they would like to be addressed. The law is meant to address situations in which individuals intentionally and repeatedly target transgender and gender non-conforming people with this type of harassment. Transgender and gender non-conforming people experience discrimination on a daily basis, from exclusion from bathrooms to verbal harassment and even violence. We issued this guidance last year so employers and individuals understand what the law says and to ensure that every transgender individual in New York City is treated with the respect and dignity they deserve.
Of course somebody could say that the thread title is "arguably true," and that's good enough for them. :bored: