Women More Religious Than Men

Kristie
Elastigirl
About me: From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere!

Re: Women More Religious Than Men

Post by Kristie » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:22 am

Existentialist1844 wrote:
FIO wrote:
soul_biscuit wrote:Maybe it's my bleeding heart liberal PC upbringing, but I have a hard time with the idea that the greater religiosity of women is more innate than cultural.

I guess the answer is to look at surveys around the world. If such surveys have been conducted in many different places, in the East as well as the West and among indigenous peoples as well as among industrialized cultures, and women usually turn up more religious than men, that would be powerful evidence that the greater religiosity of women is due to some innate tendency or another.
Exi, find us a study that proves this.....
Its too late and Im too tired! :( :tup:
Slacker :lay:
We danced.

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator
About me: Trying to avoid existential despair.

Post by Existentialist1844 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:25 am

FIO wrote:
soul_biscuit wrote:Maybe it's my bleeding heart liberal PC upbringing, but I have a hard time with the idea that the greater religiosity of women is more innate than cultural.

I guess the answer is to look at surveys around the world. If such surveys have been conducted in many different places, in the East as well as the West and among indigenous peoples as well as among industrialized cultures, and women usually turn up more religious than men, that would be powerful evidence that the greater religiosity of women is due to some innate tendency or another.
Exi, find us a study that proves this.....
I dont think a study like this exists. Do you realize how many variables you would have to consider. Working with so many different populations. Eeeek. That would be a very indepth study. You're talking about 5 different sub-populations of people. On top of that, you have to control for as many confounding variables as possible. A study like this would take a significant amount of time to complete.
"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

:pounce:

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:18 am

It would, in fact, be impossible.
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

Arse

Post by Arse » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:22 pm

born-again-atheist wrote:It would, in fact, be impossible.
Not only that but it would prove nothing if the hypothesis you are testing is that women's role as the primary carer of children creates greater religiosity. Find me a culture where men are the primary carers of children, and if women in that culture are still religious, then I'll believe that female religiosity has a biological root.

Till then I'll carry on believing that its a by-product of maternity, and can just as easily be thrown off by raising consciousness as any other cultural oddity.

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:27 pm

ghost wrote:
born-again-atheist wrote:It would, in fact, be impossible.
Not only that but it would prove nothing if the hypothesis you are testing is that women's role as the primary carer of children creates greater religiosity. Find me a culture where men are the primary carers of children, and if women in that culture are still religious, then I'll believe that female religiosity has a biological root.

Till then I'll carry on believing that its a by-product of maternity, and can just as easily be thrown off by raising consciousness as any other cultural oddity.
You tell 'em ghost! you are woman, hear you roar!
"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

Arse

Post by Arse » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:34 pm

Fanny
Benny Lava Lava

Post by Fanny » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:36 pm

ghost wrote:Image
Tigers are amazing creatures. Apart from Woods, he's a prick.
Fanny - obnoxious bastard extraodinaire

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:38 pm

ghost wrote:Image
:mrgreen: :tup:

Red Katie
Chief Muff Muncher

Post by Red Katie » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:00 am

At the risk of insulting all women, everywhere....

I, as a woman, think this: women let their feelings think for them. Men, most of the time, set their feelings aside. They don't learn to do this. They're born to do this. Women don't. Men and women have about the same emotional reactions to things, but women live in theirs. Men work around them.

This gives women certain weaknesses and certain strengths. Clear thinking is less common among women. Getting things done is more common.

I read the words of a gay man who said, in the campaign for gay rights in the eighties and nineties, nothing much would have been accomplished if it weren't for the women. I think the strong feeling of wrongness motivated the women. They didn't just want to do something. They had to do something.

Unfortunately, their feelings frequently motivate them to do silly things. Including believe in weird religions.

And all religions are weird. Aren't they?
"Her eye was on the sparrow. Her mind was on the dove,
But no one cared and no one dared to speak to her of love.
Her eyes are always hooded. Her claws are sharp as steel.
We teach her not to see too much. We teach her not to feel."

Dewi

Post by Dewi » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:46 pm

Red Katie wrote:At the risk of insulting all women, everywhere....

I, as a woman, think this: women let their feelings think for them. Men, most of the time, set their feelings aside. They don't learn to do this. They're born to do this. Women don't. Men and women have about the same emotional reactions to things, but women live in theirs. Men work around them.

This gives women certain weaknesses and certain strengths. Clear thinking is less common among women. Getting things done is more common.

I read the words of a gay man who said, in the campaign for gay rights in the eighties and nineties, nothing much would have been accomplished if it weren't for the women. I think the strong feeling of wrongness motivated the women. They didn't just want to do something. They had to do something.

Unfortunately, their feelings frequently motivate them to do silly things. Including believe in weird religions.

And all religions are weird. Aren't they?
-