The Great Gatsby

SteveB
Nibbler
About me: The more you change the less you feel

Re: The Great Gatsby

Post by SteveB » Sun May 19, 2013 4:42 am

I caught the last ten minutes of the movie while I was waiting for another movie to start. From what little I saw of it, it looked pretty good. I remember reading the novel when I was really young, but I don't remember pretty much all of it.

So, really I don't know why I'm even writing. Maybe this post is empty and meaningless just like the American Dream!
Twit, twat, twaddle.
hadespussercats wrote:I've been de-sigged! :(

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun May 19, 2013 7:18 pm

Well I went to see this today - in 3D no less. Rotten Tomatoes don't on the whole like it but possibly the most knowledgeable movie critic I know, Mark Kermode (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/) sort of did.

As Hades said, if you liked Moulin Rouge you will get some idea of the style, though it wasn't as wildly over the top in terms of the look.

Personally I loved it. DiCaprio was excellent and the sense of period (despite using modern dance music in some of the party scenes!) was on the nose. The melodrama was well done, if a bit over acted in one or two places. . And although a few liberties were taken with the plot - particularly the narrator the story was faithful to the book, especially its sense of loss and the hollowness of things. My only real criticism was the casting of Daisy. She didn't seem right.

Made a real change from the Iron Mans (Men?) and Science fiction of late.

Go see it!

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Sun May 19, 2013 10:46 pm

Don't fancy it, don't like Luhrmann's work so far, never seen any version of this or read the novel. Never read any Fitzgerald, which I'll have to remedy at some point. I've read some of the usual contenders of the "Great American Novel" but personally my own choices for contenders would be either Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian or Tom Wolfe's Electric Kool Aid Acid Test. Still since I'm not American I guess I don't get a vote.

Such a thing always peaks my interest, is there a novel that can define a soul of a nation?
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Sun May 19, 2013 10:50 pm

I remember seeing at least some of the 1974 version, which certainly had a strong cast - Robert Redford, Mia Farrow, Bruce Dern & Sam Sam Waterston.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

hadespussercats
I've come for your pants.
About me: Looks pretty good, coming out of the back of his neck like that.

Post by hadespussercats » Mon May 20, 2013 12:03 am

Audley Strange wrote:Don't fancy it, don't like Luhrmann's work so far, never seen any version of this or read the novel. Never read any Fitzgerald, which I'll have to remedy at some point. I've read some of the usual contenders of the "Great American Novel" but personally my own choices for contenders would be either Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian or Tom Wolfe's Electric Kool Aid Acid Test. Still since I'm not American I guess I don't get a vote.

Such a thing always peaks my interest, is there a novel that can define a soul of a nation?
Of course you get a vote.

I like "To Kill A Mockingbird" for that one. But you all probably knew that already.

Oh, and I love Luhrmann. Unabashed, in your face emotional manipulation through over-the-top visuals and nostalgia. Iz good. :tup:
The green careening planet
spins blindly in the dark
so close to annihilation.

Listen. No one listens. Meow.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Mon May 20, 2013 12:26 am

Audley Strange wrote:Such a thing always peaks my interest, is there a novel that can define a soul of a nation?
Nah. I reckon the "Great American Novel" is whichever American novel is being made into a blockbuster movie at any given time.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka