Dear Ask-a-nerd, feedback from microphone on PC.

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Dear Ask-a-nerd, feedback from microphone on PC.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:57 pm

Rum wrote:Just keep the volume down or the speakers well away from the mic.
:bored:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

DaveD

Post by DaveD » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:58 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
DaveD wrote:Headphones. :td:
Yep, if I'm the only person in this room. I have 3-4 headphone/mic combos, but if Ayaan wants to hear the other person too, there's a problem.
Did the problem occur while you were using Skype, or was it with another program, because...
Thinking Aloud wrote:Unless you get a very narrow-range, directional microphone, I don't think there's an easy cure (short of headphones). Most programs that use audio input (e.g. Skype) don't transmit the microphone input back out of the speakers while in operation, but if you're using something that immediately adds the microphone input to the audio output (and your mic is a normal one) you're going to need headphones.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:00 pm

DaveD wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
DaveD wrote:Headphones. :td:
Yep, if I'm the only person in this room. I have 3-4 headphone/mic combos, but if Ayaan wants to hear the other person too, there's a problem.
Did the problem occur while you were using Skype, or was it with another program, because...
Thinking Aloud wrote:Unless you get a very narrow-range, directional microphone, I don't think there's an easy cure (short of headphones). Most programs that use audio input (e.g. Skype) don't transmit the microphone input back out of the speakers while in operation, but if you're using something that immediately adds the microphone input to the audio output (and your mic is a normal one) you're going to need headphones.
Happens with the webcam gear starts up, or I use sound recorder, or just plug it in. Mai's microphone worked fine, maybe I can cone this one.

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly
About me: Destroyer of canards, and merciless shredder of bad ideas. :twisted:

Post by Calilasseia » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:10 pm

Apart from Hack's solution, one possible way is to try and make your microphone more directional with some sort of wrap around. Which would have a number of beneficial effects. It seems you're already planning something of this sort though. :)

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:13 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Apart from Hack's solution, one possible way is to try and make your microphone more directional with some sort of wrap around. Which would have a number of beneficial effects. It seems you're already planning something of this sort though. :)
Mai's mic was perfect, but I didn't get the name or the model number. She's off somewhere now, I guess I have to wait for her to come back.

And yes, I tried a "Victorian collar" on my mic. Tripled the feedback. :?

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly

Post by Calilasseia » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:01 am

Weird. Suggests to me that you have some, shall we say, interesting acoustic features in the room. Such as the speakers being positioned in such a way as to create resonant spots. Might be worth experimenting with changed speaker positions in this case.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:02 am

Calilasseia wrote:Weird. Suggests to me that you have some, shall we say, interesting acoustic features in the room. Such as the speakers being positioned in such a way as to create resonant spots. Might be worth experimenting with changed speaker positions in this case.
Yeah, I have some "interesting" positions for my speakers, and tons of electronic gear within twenty feet of me.

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly

Post by Calilasseia » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:52 am

Oh that's going to complicate matters enormously. I'm reminded here of what one book on surface ships of the world said about certain Soviet ship classes with massive clusters of aerials and antennae upon them (the Kara class springs particularly to mind here) ...

"Integrating this large collection of disparate electronic systems is a complex task".

:mrgreen:

If you have a workstation area that looks like the net surfer's version of the Kara class, it's no wonder you're experiencing, shall we say, interesting integration issues. :)

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:03 am

Calilasseia wrote:Oh that's going to complicate matters enormously. I'm reminded here of what one book on surface ships of the world said about certain Soviet ship classes with massive clusters of aerials and antennae upon them (the Kara class springs particularly to mind here) ...

"Integrating this large collection of disparate electronic systems is a complex task".

:mrgreen:

If you have a workstation area that looks like the net surfer's version of the Kara class, it's no wonder you're experiencing, shall we say, interesting integration issues. :)
I got some very good pictures of a Kara once upon a time.

hackenslash
Fundie Baiter...errr. Fun Debater
About me: I've got a little black book with my poems in...

Post by hackenslash » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:13 am

I have one of these:

http://www.behringer.com/en/Products/HA4700.aspx

Problem solved. About £30 GBP when I purchased, IIRC. Looking on Google, the price has gone up to about £70. I suspect you'd find one on E-bay cheap enough with a bit of rooting around.
Dogma is the death of the intellect

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:16 am

I have headphone/mic sets, three of them. Fine if I'm alone, less than fine with other people here, like during the Train Wreck.

hackenslash
Fundie Baiter...errr. Fun Debater
About me: I've got a little black book with my poems in...

Post by hackenslash » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:21 am

Yes, but do you have a headphone amp? I've recorded bands with that little beastie.
Dogma is the death of the intellect

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:23 am

hackenslash wrote:Yes, but do you have a headphone amp? I've recorded bands with that little beastie.