Now what are you playing now 2: Limited Collectors Edition

For discussion of video games, and their theory and practice, as well as the social impact of such.
Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Re: Now what are you playing now 2: Limited Collectors Editi

Post by Audley Strange » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:47 am

Animavore wrote:
tattuchu wrote:
I need something to consume my life. I started playing Katamari something-or-other on my PS3. It's okay. I loved the PS2 games. But I'm bored with this and I only just started. Nothing holds my interest anymore :sigh:
Get feckin' Dark Souls then. I keep tellin' people but no, they want to get lame-ass Skyrim.
It's like the difference between Lord of the Rings and Conan the Barbarian (talking books here). Sure LOTR is I nice little fantasy for school boys full of happy little elves and mincy little hobbits but you get a bit older and you want the same but more hardcore with demons that rip your spine out and sexual nymphs. That's Dark Souls to Skyrim. Sure Skyrim offers a nerdish little tale of frollicking merry men but you want to be balls-deep in unyielding, relentless, soul-crushing action. Get Dark Souls.
Soul crusher would have been a fine name for it in fact.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:55 am

Yeah :shiver:

Funnily enough though, on the second playthrough its actually relaxing. I'm just walking around at my leisure dispatching foes like FedEx. I've come across bosses and thought I remember I shit a cavity block the first time I crossed you. Now I'me taking them down like last year's Christmas decorations. I'm more experimental, mixing things up and trying more weapon combos. Not rushing any where. Harvesting souls (it helps that you get more since the patch) and buying up every spell, miracle and pyromancy. Joining different covenents and helping or invading for titanites and goodies.

It's my hands-down GOTY.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:09 am

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Kr
About me: Man Fwuff!

Post by Kr » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:33 am

I'm really loving Battlefield 3 at the moment. I put my aviators on and zoom around in a jet yelling at Goose.

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:55 am

Hmm who knew turning into a dragon-born greatsword-wielding power hungry orc slaughtering your way through a bunch of backwards stereotypes would end up such a chore. You know, Skyrim looks gorgeous, but the missions are all a bit clunky and while I've not noticed many bugs, it plays like a cutting edge last gen game rather than something from this generation consoles.

Still, Rayman Origins is fantastic.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:31 am

I have the PC version. It is very buggy, for example sometimes if you are riding a horse and you tilt your angle of view the horse disappears and your character is left floating in the air, legs wide apart. Elsewhere NPC wielding a sweeping broom which disappears every time he speaks. Plus is suffers from an all too common issue - bad conversion for playing with a mouse, in particular the menus.

Having said all that after cursing the good reviews I persevered and I think the brilliance of the open world shines through a lot of the time. I suspect I will lose patience with it shortly though.

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:55 pm

I just started Mass Effect 2 and I fucking hate it. But that's because I don't know the controls and I have no idea what I'm doing, not a clue. This always happens.
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:22 pm

I started my final , ultimate Dark Souls playthrough and straight off the bat I put a summon sign down for the first boss and when I materialised the person in that world left a load of awesome weapons for me. Fully upgraded with added magic. Including Quelaag's Chao's Blade. I picked them all up and they banished me before I could thank them.

All your soul belong to me.

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:02 am

Not been playing much myself, though Rayman Origins is the game of choice at Chapel Strange since it's up to four player cooperative where it's still fun to slap the shit out of your teammates when they are attempting a difficult series of jumps to catch up. Such fun.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:55 pm

I've never heard of this game 'til just now when a demo appeared on PSN this week (downloading). From the lead designer of Morrowmind and Oblivion with the artwork of Todd McFarlane, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is described as a marriage between God of War andOblivion.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdoms ... _Reckoning

:think:

Demo available on XBL and Steam also.

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:05 pm

I really need to upgrade my PC.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:52 pm

Impressed, I am, with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. The demo gives you almost three hours of gameplay. There's enough in there to give you a feel of what the game's about.
At heart it is quite an ol' school RPG. Like my ol' favourites, Landstakler and Soliel, only with an' absurd amount of customisation (though much of it locked for the demo), weapons, spells and skills. At the end of the intro/tutorial it gives you 45 mins to explore the first village you encounter. The place is huge and this is only one village on one area out of five in the world. There's enough time in the 45 mins to talk to NPCs and take in a side mission or two. There's plenty to explore and I don't think I've seen the half of it.
The combat system is pretty hack'n'slash which suits me to the ground. The controls aere well thought out and moving between weapons and magic is a doodle. It's not hard to toss an enemy in the air and plant him with some ball-lightning before he lands.
The graphics are nice and colouful, not top range but obviously graphics are sacrificed for the large, open world. The areas aren't static. There is day and night, from dusk 'til dawn 'til dusk. Don't know about weather changes.
Only gripe I have is the little mini-map in the top corner. It doesn't orientatate with you, it stays aligned North, which is disorientating having had this in every game I remember since GTA. I noticed a couple of odd graphical glitches. Will probably have day one patch.

Reviews pending, I'll probably get this.

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:38 pm

Any multiplayer options?

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:29 pm

Not in the demo. It connected to their server (whoever makes it) at the beginning (and gave me some free shit for if I buy it to be found in some locker). On the menu screen it said Story Mode and Options so I presume there are more gameplay options :dunno:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:12 am

The demo of Twisted Metal is awesome. I wish they'd stop giving me awesome demos though to add to me WANT list :lay: