About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Hermit » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:17 am

JimC wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:34 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:13 pm
Great Oz mentality.
Don't make it an "Oz" thing, it is all to do with the pricks in our Federal government, who may well be voted out of office next year...
Hey, we're all Matt Canavan clones, don'tcha know? All 26 million of us are of the same "Oz mentality".

It's very similar to to the Brits and the Yanks mentality, both of which are the same. It's called the Anglo-Saxon mentality. The Dutch of course have the Dutch mentality. It's the best.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:10 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:12 pm
Cop26 failed in a bid to phase out coal, news that had its president Alok Sharma close to tears. But not everyone’s disappointed – nationals senator Matt Canavan has declared it a great win for Australia’s mining industry.

He told the Nine Network:

Given the fact that the agreement did not say that coal needs to be phased down or taken out, it is a big green light for us to build more coalmines.
The Earth has not won but these cunts cant see that.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... se-numbers
I've known those annual conferences are a total waste ever since the whole huge noise they made about cop21 and the Paris agreement failed to bear any worthwhile fruit. Basically, they are there to make hot air and I assume gorge themselve at meal time. All the important decisions are made at davos anyway.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:35 am

It is always for Anglo-Saxons a battle to "get their way". There is only one loser here; the planet we live on. They are all banking on the one invention that will save it so when it comes along they will exploit it. In the meantime like our member from Cairns they will carry on regardless increasing their personal carbon footprints.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:57 am

Ratchets, phase-downs and a fragile agreement: how Cop26 played out
Last-minute hitch on coal almost reduced Alok Sharma to tears as Glasgow climate pact made imperfect progress

As weary delegates trudged into the Scottish Event Campus on the banks of the Clyde on Saturday, few realised what a mountain they still had to climb. The Cop26 climate talks were long past their official deadline of 6pm on Friday, but there were strong hopes that the big issues had been settled. A deal was tantalisingly close.

The “package” on offer was imperfect – before countries even turned up in Glasgow they were meant to have submitted plans that would cut global carbon output by nearly half by 2030, to limit global heating to 1.5C above pre-industrial levels. Although most countries submitted plans, they were not strong enough and analysis found they would lead to a disastrous 2.4C of heating.
A great bit of greenwashing. When capitalism takes over and the 1% start wagging the dog you cant expect much more. Being pure selfish; I wont see it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:15 am

After being toasted alive this summer with 50°C heatwaves the Pacific Northwest in now experiencing torrential rain storms and flooding.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:01 am

Brian suggest you snag The Ministry for the Future on Chirp while it is on sale
https://www.chirpbooks.com/audiobooks/t ... y-robinson
From legendary science fiction author Kim Stanley Robinson comes a remarkable vision of climate change over the coming decades.

The Ministry for the Future is a masterpiece of the imagination, using fictional eyewitness accounts to tell the story of how climate change will affect us all. Its setting is not a desolate, postapocalyptic world, but a future that is almost upon us-and in which we might just overcome the extraordinary challenges we face.

It is a novel both immediate and impactful, desperate and hopeful in equal measure, and it is one of the most powerful and original books on climate change ever written.

One of Barack Obama’s Favorite Books of 2020

“If I could get policymakers, and citizens, everywhere to read just one book this year, it would be Kim Stanley Robinson’s The Ministry for the Future.” -Ezra Klein

“The best science fiction-nonfiction novel I’ve ever read.” -Jonathan Lethem, Vanity Fair

“A breathtaking look at the challenges that face our planet in all their sprawling magnitude and also in their intimate, individual moments of humanity.” -Booklist (starred)

“A sweeping, optimistic portrait of humanity’s ability to cooperate in the face of disaster. This heartfelt work of hard science-fiction is a must-read for anyone worried about the future of the planet.” -Publishers Weekly (starred)

”The Ministry for the Future ranks among Robinson’s best recent works, a collection of actions and observations that adds up to more than the sum of its eclectic and urgent parts.” -Sierra
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:12 am

:tup: He spoke at the pre-COP26 TED event too.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:49 pm

On Behalf Of Environmentalists, I Apologize For The Climate Scare

On behalf of environmentalists everywhere, I would like to formally apologize for the climate scare we created over the last 30 years. Climate change is happening. It’s just not the end of the world. It’s not even our most serious environmental problem.

I may seem like a strange person to be saying all of this. I have been a climate activist for 20 years and an environmentalist for 30.

But as an energy expert asked by Congress to provide objective expert testimony, and invited by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to serve as Expert Reviewer of its next Assessment Report, I feel an obligation to apologize for how badly we environmentalists have misled the public.

Here are some facts few people know:

Humans are not causing a “sixth mass extinction”

The Amazon is not “the lungs of the world”

Climate change is not making natural disasters worse

Fires have declined 25% around the world since 2003

The amount of land we use for meat — humankind’s biggest use of land — has declined by an area nearly as large as Alaska

The build-up of wood fuel and more houses near forests, not climate change, explain why there are more, and more dangerous, fires in Australia and California

Carbon emissions are declining in most rich nations and have been declining in Britain, Germany, and France since the mid-1970s

Netherlands became rich not poor while adapting to life below sea level

We produce 25% more food than we need and food surpluses will continue to rise as the world gets hotter

Habitat loss and the direct killing of wild animals are bigger threats to species than climate change

Wood fuel is far worse for people and wildlife than fossil fuels

Preventing future pandemics requires more not less “industrial” agriculture

I know that the above facts will sound like “climate denialism” to many people. But that just shows the power of climate alarmism.

In reality, the above facts come from the best-available scientific studies, including those conducted by or accepted by the IPCC, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and other leading scientific bodies.
https://environmentalprogress.org/big-n ... mate-scare

--are we tired of the I once was lost but now I'm found stories yet?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:59 pm

Some of those "facts" sound dubious.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:42 pm

Book review: Bad science and bad arguments abound in ‘Apocalypse Never’ by Michael Shellenberger

A new book that critiques environmentalism is 'deeply and fatally flawed.'
https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2020 ... pse-never/

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:55 pm

Flooding in Canada. Quite near Vancouver
2F83E37F-41B3-4B51-9A8C-B09321724225.png
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:25 pm

Atmospheric river hit very hard into areas also hit by forest fires ....not a good combination.
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:37 pm

Estimated 18,000 people requiring temporary accommodation.

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:24 pm

Great defences...

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25