Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:57 am

Galaxian wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:34 pm
Tero wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:03 pm
Wonder how they get funded now? Oh well, one Koch brother is still alive.
What a banal thing to say. How do the university 'climatologists' get funded? How does the UN IPCC get funded? How are politicians funded?
The same way the scientist that designed the micro-chip in my brain got paid perhaps?

So, why does earning an income disqualify those engaged in scientific endeavour, and why are we to apply this disqualifier to climate science and scientists in particular but not, say, geologists, cell biologists, or particle physicists?

I await your equivocation with rapt indifference,

To posit 'climate science: fact or fiction' is to operate on a false dichotomy. To prosecute that argument one must first reify the common notion of a fact.

If you don't think anyone, let alone government, should do anything about the global climate and environmental crisis then just be honest; say so - don't pretend you have a rational basis for not doing that which you had no intention of doing anyway.

Personally I'm wondering when the great Galaxian, seeker of truth and the liars foe, decided that arguing for the corporatist status quo and business as usual served his or anyone's interests best? How much did they pay fair Galaxian, that he was so easily and thoroughly corrupted?

:sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:55 am

:clap:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:29 am

Galaxian is a shill for Big Coal! :lay:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:03 am

I'd like it to be wrong. None of us wants it to be real right?

Anyway, I enjoy reading or listening to a skeptic. But they have to do it well.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:56 am

Yeah the old saying about keeping an open mind, but not too open that your brain falls out. :tea:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:27 am

Climate scientists only make about $35,000 a year. There are far more lucrative fields, like genetics, if one wanted to do science just for the money.

Of course if you want to make super big bucks you would become a mouthpiece for the fossil industry. Willie Soon got a couple of million for writing a shady paper supposedly debunking climate change. And when Peabody Coal tried to challenge the State of Wyoming over regulations their contrarian scientists arguing their case were paid large fees. The climate scientists arguing against weren't paid at all. They just went up out of concern for the environment.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... court-case

https://energydesk.greenpeace.org/2015/ ... -for-hire/

The take home here is that if you want big bucks for doing relatively little work (conference speeches and the like) it's far better to work for the fossil industry arguing against climate change than to be a climatologist working for comparatively little pay and possibly having to do real work like pouring over data and drilling out ice cores.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Post by Galaxian » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:20 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:57 am
Galaxian wrote:
Tero wrote:
What a banal thing to say. How do the university 'climatologists' get funded? How does the UN IPCC get funded? How are politicians funded?
The same way the scientist that designed the micro-chip in my brain got paid perhaps?

So, why does earning an income disqualify those engaged in scientific endeavour, and why are we to apply this disqualifier to climate science and scientists in particular but not, say, geologists, cell biologists, or particle physicists?
If you don't think anyone, let alone government, should do anything about the global climate and environmental crisis then just be honest; say so - don't pretend you have a rational basis for not doing that which you had no intention of doing anyway.

Personally I'm wondering when the great Galaxian, seeker of truth and the liars foe .......
:sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

Say no more. Say no more! For your health & sanity stop right at: "seeker of truth and the liars foe"

"If you don't think anyone, let alone government, should do anything about the global climate and environmental crisis then just be honest; say so"

Yes, I DO say so. Conservation in moderation is one thing, but to conduct geo-engineering projects on the dumb-fuck foundation of shit-heads such as Ehrlich, Suzuki and Thunberg, is a different matter. I say leave the Earth well alone.

These asinine retards have the weird idea of closing down coal fired power stations. Then they decide to bury the plastic & organic waste. Hey! Retards, the waste can be burnt in power stations to get rid of it & at the same time produce electricity. Duh!

Infact, most of the world agrees with Galaxian, since hundreds of new coal fired power stations are built worldwide per annum. So the naysayers here are just outliers, ignorant greenies full of 'touch-feely' goodness. Losing credibility as Nature defeats them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Mx0_8YEtg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW3v4xsrWsU

You lot don't watch the informative videos I post, do you? Otherwise you'd have a proper debate instead of muck-raking :coffee:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:48 am

Galaxian wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:20 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:57 am
Galaxian wrote:
Tero wrote:

Personally I'm wondering when the great Galaxian, seeker of truth and the liars foe .......

Say no more. Say no more! For your health & sanity stop right at: "seeker of truth and the liars foe"

"If you don't think anyone, let alone government, should do anything about the global climate and environmental crisis then just be honest; say so"

Yes, I DO say so. Conservation in moderation is one thing, but to conduct geo-engineering projects on the dumb-fuck foundation of shit-heads such as Ehrlich, Suzuki and Thunberg, is a different matter. I say leave the Earth well alone.
Then you simply deny the facts while conflating 'leaving the Earth alone' with activities like continuing to pump countless tonnes of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere etc. Why is it perfectly acceptable to 'leave the Earth alone' while the corporatist pollution of the biosphere for profit continues, but attempts to reduce pollution or mitigate the consequences thereof are touted as undue intervention or interference with that same biosphere? What you're arguing for is harder, faster, stronger (and all the other things in that Daft Punk song) pollution as Natural phenomena in which humans play little or no part.

At this point it is hubris alone which maintains those compounded fallacies as 'rational'.
Galaxian wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:20 am
These asinine retards have the weird idea of closing down coal fired power stations. Then they decide to bury the plastic & organic waste. Hey! Retards, the waste can be burnt in power stations to get rid of it & at the same time produce electricity. Duh!

Infact, most of the world agrees with Galaxian, since hundreds of new coal fired power stations are built worldwide per annum. So the naysayers here are just outliers, ignorant greenies full of 'touch-feely' goodness. Losing credibility as Nature defeats them.

[snip: argumentum ad YouTube]

You lot don't watch the informative videos I post, do you? Otherwise you'd have a proper debate instead of muck-raking :coffee:
Would you agree that a proper, honest debate relies on all parties acting in good faith? Address anything I have posted here honestly and I'll buy you a Christmas present. :santa:

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:57 am

I predict that the the mighty Galaxian - former slayer of worlds and skeptminder general - will continue to ignore direct questions while making an unquestioned acceptance of their statements a condition of so-called 'rational' discourse. It was a sad loss for humanity the day the soul of Galaxian was hollowed out and replaced with an automated corporate dross-bot. A sad day indeed. :(

Frank Zappa

Galaxian

Post by Galaxian » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:04 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:48 am
...Would you agree that a proper, honest debate relies on all parties acting in good faith? Address anything I have posted here honestly and I'll buy you a Christmas present. :santa:
Yes, I can agree to that. Pick any of the facts, the graphs, the charts, the data, presented in my previous five videos. Bring them to the table & we will debate them.

As shown in the videos I posted: You might start with, "why does CO2 rise AFTER temperature rise, and fall AFTER temperature decline? That is: CO2 rise & fall is CAUSED by temperature rise & fall, it does not cause it". Explain s'il vous plaît.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HifOuIHhjko
:coffee:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:07 pm

It only takes a few minutes to unpack that one...

BTW: This isn't an honest discourse - this is merely point scoring. :biggrin:

Frank Zappa

Galaxian

Post by Galaxian » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:25 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:07 pm
Then make it an honest discourse.
Note that I did not say anything about the role of CO2 as a greenhouse gas (it is actually quite a trivial & unimportant one). The videos that I posted point out that for millions of years it has lagged the changes in temperature. Mr Strong merely talks of this last Ice Age. That is a common deception done by anthropogenic climate change zealots: They cut off their data where it suits their agenda. For example, look at the last 6 videos I posted; they cover this topic, where the dogmatic preachers start their temperature graph just where it is rising (preferably in the latter half of the 20th century), ignoring the previous fluctuations.

Neither does he address the fact that humble water vapor is nearly a hundredfold more effective as a greenhouse gas than CO2.
So a school lab experiment of a flask filled with CO2 is translated in wide-eyed wonder into a prediction of worldwide calamity.

I've noted comments from some here about the 'scientists' in climatology. These people think that a degree is hard to get. But I've been with such 'scientists'. Many are mundane & amateurish, they got their degrees by cramming. Many of them are intellectually dishonest &/or easily bought. Many others are servile & nervous, afraid to stick their neck out, fearful of standing out from their colleagues.... and it goes on. Furthermore, the opponents of the scaremongers are also scientists. So that is no defense of fraudsters; saying that they are qualified fraudsters so they must be believed and given millions of dollars or we'll all burn in hell.

The general public have a sense of awe about authority, bureaucracy, and the courts. They gaze on them as if on to the face of God... unimpeachable. uncorruptibe, honest & truthful & just. But this is not so. Many in high office are sociopaths, psychopaths, and crooks; that is how they got there. That is how the genes tending towards those personality types spontaneously mutate, are inherited and are always present... they confer a survival advantage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl2gg7lT7OM
:coffee:

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:16 pm

Fancifully embroidered shit-posting using YouTube as a reference source, how novel.

'Analysis: Global coal power set for record fall in 2019'
Global electricity production from coal is on track to fall by around 3% in 2019, the largest drop on record.

This would amount to a reduction of around 300 terawatt hours (TWh), more than the combined total output from coal in Germany, Spain and the UK last year.

The analysis is based on monthly electricity sector data from around the world for the first seven to 10 months of the year, depending on data availability in each country.

The projected record is due to…
  • Record falls in developed countries, including Germany, the EU overall and South Korea, which are not being matched by increases elsewhere. The largest reduction is taking place in the US, as several large coal-fired power plants close.
  • A sharp turnaround in India, where coal power output is on track to fall for the first time in at least three decades.
  • A flattening of generation growth in China.
The main counteracting force is from continuing increases in coal generation in south-east Asia, but demand from these countries is still small relative to the global total.

The global decline means an economic hit for coal plants due to reduced average running hours, which are set to reach an all-time low.
While there has been an overall trend of increasing coal use worldwide, mostly driven by Asia, the peak of coal use may have been in 2014.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:39 pm

Greta is wrong. World not ending 2030. Or 2100.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshe ... wrong/amp/
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:40 am

Galaxian wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:25 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:07 pm
Then make it an honest discourse.
Note that I did not say anything about the role of CO2 as a greenhouse gas (it is actually quite a trivial & unimportant one).
Hmm.
Galaxian wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:04 pm
As shown in the videos I posted: You might start with, "why does CO2 rise AFTER temperature rise, and fall AFTER temperature decline? That is: CO2 rise & fall is CAUSED by temperature rise & fall, it does not cause it". Explain s'il vous plaît.
:tea: Explained but ignored.
Galaxian wrote:
The videos that I posted point out that for millions of years it has lagged the changes in temperature. Mr Strong merely talks of this last Ice Age. That is a common deception done by anthropogenic climate change zealots: They cut off their data where it suits their agenda. For example, look at the last 6 videos I posted; they cover this topic, where the dogmatic preachers start their temperature graph just where it is rising (preferably in the latter half of the 20th century), ignoring the previous fluctuations.
The research on the 'previous fluctuations' in CO2 levels in relation to global temperatures specifically concern the glaciation cycle predicted by the work of Milanković in the 1930s and later confirmed by experimental data gathered from deep ice cores across multiple locations in the 1990s. It is irrelevant to the situation as we find it today where CO2 levels are rising ahead of global temperatures due to human activity rather than lagging behind global temperatures due to the precession and perturbation of the Earth's orbit - the effects of which are demonstrated in the glaciation cycle. Using historical data from one context to discredit data in the current context is not only fallaciously cherry picking but fundamentally intellectually dishonest.
Galaxian wrote:
Neither does he address the fact that humble water vapor is nearly a hundredfold more effective as a greenhouse gas than CO2.
So a school lab experiment of a flask filled with CO2 is translated in wide-eyed wonder into a prediction of worldwide calamity.
As you know, the flask experiment performed in many schools aptly demonstrates the thermal properties of Carbon Dioxide. Carbon science has been established in the literature and well understood since the middle of 1800s and the thermal properties of CO2 and the levels and longevity of CO2 in the atmosphere are undisputable. The same can also be said of Dihydrogen Monoxide.

It is a fallacious strawman to suggest that the effects of H20 are discounted in climate research or to suggest that a single atmospheric molecule such as H20 has a more or less significant or important effect on the global temperature cycle than any other molecule present in the atmosphere in significant amounts. The only people suggesting otherwise are those personally invested in downplaying or discrediting the role of greenhouse gasses emitted by human activity and the effects they are demonstrated to have on the global environment.
Galaxian wrote:
I've noted comments from some here about the 'scientists' in climatology. These people think that a degree is hard to get. But I've been with such 'scientists'. Many are mundane & amateurish, they got their degrees by cramming. Many of them are intellectually dishonest &/or easily bought. Many others are servile & nervous, afraid to stick their neck out, fearful of standing out from their colleagues.... and it goes on. Furthermore, the opponents of the scaremongers are also scientists. So that is no defense of fraudsters; saying that they are qualified fraudsters so they must be believed and given millions of dollars or we'll all burn in hell.
Poisoning the well and ad hom arguments justified by personal anecdote are also fallacious appeals to self-declared authority. A fallacy is an error in reasoning btw.
Galaxian wrote:
The general public have a sense of awe about authority, bureaucracy, and the courts. They gaze on them as if on to the face of God... unimpeachable. uncorruptibe, honest & truthful & just. But this is not so. Many in high office are sociopaths, psychopaths, and crooks; that is how they got there. That is how the genes tending towards those personality types spontaneously mutate, are inherited and are always present... they confer a survival advantage.

[snip irrelevant videos]
Generalising from the particular about the character and competence of, specifically, climate scientists based on assumptions and anecdote is similarly fallacious. Thus presented it avoids any obligation to explain or challenge the current science in scientific terms - which is basically the point eh?

Frank Zappa