Global Climate Change Science News

macdoc
Twitcher

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by macdoc » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:35 am

Impressive tech ...would do our roof when available
The new paint reflects 98% of sunlight as well as radiating infrared heat through the atmosphere into space. In tests, it cooled surfaces by 4.5C below the ambient temperature, even in strong sunlight. The researchers said the paint could be on the market in one or two years.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... tudy-shows
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri May 21, 2021 7:31 pm

Richest nations agree to end support for coal production overseas

The world’s richest nations have agreed to end their financial support for coal development overseas, in a major step towards phasing out the dirtiest fossil fuel.

After nearly two days of wrangling at a meeting of the G7 environment and energy ministers, hosted virtually by the UK on Thursday and Friday, all reaffirmed their commitment to limiting global heating to 1.5C, and committed to phasing out coal and fully decarbonising their energy sectors in the 2030s.

Japan, one of the world’s biggest sources of finance for coal power, along with China, held out on agreeing to stop helping to build until the final stages of the two-day virtual meeting. Japan’s government raised concerns that if it halted the financing, China would step in and build coal-fired power plants overseas that were less efficient than Japanese designs.

The other G7 members – the UK, the US, the EU, France, Italy, Germany, and Canada – were all united in calling for an end to such financing. ...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... n-overseas
Proof of the pudding... etc etc ...
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri May 21, 2021 9:18 pm

The Indian company Adani is hoping to build a giant coal mine in Queensland (on sacred aboriginal ground, no less...), but is finding it difficult to get finance. Insurance companies are refusing to grant cover to their sub-contractors. We're hoping they quit and walk away...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri May 21, 2021 9:37 pm

They need to get Lex Greensil in - he'll sort them out no problem.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat May 22, 2021 6:53 am

Another of the preliminary jolts of the bumpy ride ahead.

'"A Real Hotspot": Study Shows Arctic Warming 3 Times Faster Than Rest of Earth'
Over the past five decades, the Arctic has warmed three times faster than the world as a whole, leading to rapid and widespread melting of ice and other far-reaching consequences that are important not only to local communities and ecosystems but to the fate of life on planet Earth.

The Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Program (AMAP) issued that warning on Thursday in a new report (pdf) that summarizes the latest findings on Arctic change and projections of future transformations under different climate scenarios. The publication of AMAP's report coincides with this week's meeting of the Arctic Council in Reykjavík, Iceland, which brings together policymakers from countries bordering the region.

According to the report, the Arctic's annual mean surface temperature surged by 3.1ºC between 1971 and 2019, compared with a 1ºC rise in the global average during the same time period. Arctic warming has been accompanied by a decrease in snow cover and sea and land ice; an increase in permafrost thaw and rainfall; and an uptick in extreme events.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat May 22, 2021 7:12 am

Yeah, that's been known about for some time. This confirmatory research is a refining of the detail.

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat May 22, 2021 7:39 am

Brian Peacock wrote:Yeah, that's been known about for some time. This confirmatory research is a refining of the detail.
Also. Although the geography of Antarctica is significantly different to the Arctic the process is the same. The poles are heating faster than the equatorial regions.

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat May 22, 2021 8:35 am

We can all move to Antarctica or Greenland in the new world.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat May 22, 2021 9:11 am

Melbourne will become the new Brisbane...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon May 24, 2021 8:44 am

Influential investor joins shareholder rebellion over Shell’s climate plan

Britain’s biggest fund manager has piled pressure on Shell after joining a shareholder rebellion over the oil company’s carbon-cutting plans, saying that they lack credibility and the ambition required to combat global heating.

It has emerged that Legal & General Investment Management (LGIM), one of the oldest fund managers in the City of London, was among investors behind a significant shareholder vote against Shell’s climate transition targets at the company’s annual meeting on Tuesday.

The asset manager, which is part of the insurer Legal & General and manages more than £1.2tn of assets, told the Guardian that it joined activists demanding faster progress because it did not believe the Anglo-Dutch company’s plan was credible.
Although acknowledging progress was being made by the company’s management to boost low-carbon investment, LGIM said: “We remain concerned that the strength of interim targets (up to 2035) and disclosed plans for oil and gas production fall short of the level of ambition required for the company to credibly claim alignment with a 1.5C pathway.” ...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... imate-plan
There's been a number of other similar stories in the last few months, from people not being able to get home insurance on properties under threat from costal erosion or river flooding to the green investment sector seeing an increase in interest from pension firms. The people whose jobs involve assessing future risk look like they're beginning to back away a bit from the unsustainable.

Frank Zappa

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon May 24, 2021 9:59 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 7:31 pm
Richest nations agree to end support for coal production overseas

The world’s richest nations have agreed to end their financial support for coal development overseas, in a major step towards phasing out the dirtiest fossil fuel.

After nearly two days of wrangling at a meeting of the G7 environment and energy ministers, hosted virtually by the UK on Thursday and Friday, all reaffirmed their commitment to limiting global heating to 1.5C, and committed to phasing out coal and fully decarbonising their energy sectors in the 2030s.

Japan, one of the world’s biggest sources of finance for coal power, along with China, held out on agreeing to stop helping to build until the final stages of the two-day virtual meeting. Japan’s government raised concerns that if it halted the financing, China would step in and build coal-fired power plants overseas that were less efficient than Japanese designs.

The other G7 members – the UK, the US, the EU, France, Italy, Germany, and Canada – were all united in calling for an end to such financing. ...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... n-overseas
Proof of the pudding... etc etc ...
I'll believe in the pudding when they've stopped burning coal to cook it.
Atomic pudding is much more interesting anyway.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon May 24, 2021 10:04 am

The point in no new coal-fired power stations is that as they reach the end of their service life they will be replaced by renewable (or gas, in the case of Australia :nono: ) power generation.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon May 24, 2021 11:16 am

Lol, you remind me of the way people used 'gas' when I was in Ireland...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon May 31, 2021 8:53 am

Hat-tip to Harry Shearer in "News of the Warm," a copyrighted feature of his broadcast.

'Infertility poses "major threat" to biodiversity during climate change'
A new study by University of Liverpool ecologists warns that heat-induced male infertility will see some species succumb to the effects of climate change earlier than thought.

Currently, scientists are trying to predict where species will be lost due to climate change so they can plan effective conservation strategies. However, research on temperature tolerance has generally focused on the temperatures that are lethal to organisms, rather than the temperatures at which organisms can no longer breed.

Published in Nature Climate Change, the study of 43 fruit fly (Drosophila) species showed that in almost half of the species, males became sterile at lower than lethal temperatures. Importantly, the worldwide distribution of these species could be predicted much more accurately by including the temperature at which they become sterile, rather than just using their lethal temperature. To give an example, Drosophila lummei males are sterile four degrees below their lethal limit. To put that in context, four degrees is the temperature difference between summer in northern England and the south of France.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:00 am

How toxic us coal becoming in Australia?
Donors pull support after University of Newcastle appoints coalmining executive Mark Vaile vice-chancellor

Major donors to the University of Newcastle have pulled their support after coalmining executive Mark Vaile was appointed the institution’s new vice-chancellor.

Vaile, a former federal Nationals leader and the current chairman of Whitehaven Coal, was named the university’s new vice-chancellor earlier this month, a decision that prompted a member of the university council to resign.

In a sign of further backlash, 16 philanthropists wrote in an open letter published on Friday that they would no longer support the university given Vaile’s appointment.

“It is of course up to the council of the University of Newcastle to decide who should lead them,” the letter, published in the Newcastle Herald, said...

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... chancellor

Frank Zappa