Global Climate Change Science News

macdoc
Twitcher

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by macdoc » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:28 am

That should be SO2.
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:52 pm

I came across this today. UK govt guidance for teachers re Climate and Sustainability education.
Teaching about climate change and the scientific facts and evidence behind this, does not constitute teaching about a political issue and schools do not need to present misinformation or unsubstantiated claims to provide balance. However, in climate education there may be relevant political issues and partisan political views, for example on social and economic reform, that should be handled in line with schools legal duties on political impartiality. Importantly, whilst schools should support pupil’s interest in climate change and tackling both its causes and effects, it would not be appropriate to encourage pupils to join specific campaigning groups or engage in specific political activity, such as protests.
-- Sustainability & Climate Change: A draft strategy for the education & children’s services systems, Nov 2021 (PDF)
Here's some facts:

Around 1800 mathematician Joseph Fourier hypothesised that there must be some quality to the air which stopped the energy from the Sun which entered the atmosphere from being radiated away into space. All things being equal the planet should be frozen. He was right, he just didn't know why or how.

In the 1850s Eunice Foote and John Tyndall demonstrated that CO2 had a thermal capacity of c.1000x that of natural air.

In 1896 Svante Arrhenius published an account which established the direct relationship between the levels of atmospheric CO2 and global mean temperatures.

We're awash with facts, and have been for c.200 years, and yet we're still half-way over the precipice. This is also a fact.

The govt would like us to believe that facts are somehow independent of human action, but they deem it inappropriate for certain facts to inform the action of pupils and young adults in circumstances where acting without reference to facts we already possess is not only irrational but immoral and unethical as well. Apparently we can know something about climate change and it's implications for environments and societies around the world, but only if we do absolutely nothing about it.

Good job we're not listening to govt, eh?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:09 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:52 pm
I came across this today.
I hope you wiped it off. :nono:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:07 am

That's a little uncomfortable.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:04 am

Deserves mention here...

'Ice shelf collapses in previously stable East Antarctica'
An ice shelf the size of New York City has collapsed in East Antarctica, an area long thought to be stable and not hit much by climate change, concerned scientists said Friday.

The collapse, captured by satellite images, marked the first time in human history that the frigid region had an ice shelf collapse. It happened at the beginning of a freakish warm spell last week when temperatures soared more than 70 degrees (40 Celsius) warmer than normal in some spots of East Antarctica. Satellite photos show the area had been shrinking rapidly the last couple of years, and now scientists wonder if they have been overestimating East Antarctica’s stability and resistance to global warming that has been melting ice rapidly on the smaller western side and the vulnerable peninsula.

The ice shelf, about 460 square miles wide (1200 square kilometers) holding in the Conger and Glenzer glaciers from the warmer water, collapsed between March 14 and 16, said ice scientist Catherine Walker of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute. She said scientists have never seen this happen in this part of the continent, making it worrisome.

“The Glenzer Conger ice shelf presumably had been there for thousands of years and it’s not ever going to be there again,” said University of Minnesota ice scientist Peter Neff.

The issue isn’t the amount of ice lost in this collapse, Neff and Walker said. That is negligible. It’s more about the where it happened.

Neff said he worries that previous assumptions about East Antarctica’s stability may not be correct. And that’s important because if the water frozen in East Antarctica melted — and that’s a millennia-long process if not longer — it would raise seas across the globe more than 160 feet (50 meters). It’s more than five times the ice in the more vulnerable West Antarctic Ice Sheet, where scientists have concentrated much of their research.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:26 pm

Frank Zappa

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:45 am

Australia’s coal export boom forecast to end abruptly amid big drop in demand from China

Quote:
Study finds Chinese consumption will fall within two to three years as Australian coalmining communities warned to reduce dependence on industry

Australia’s coal export boom will come to an abrupt end because of an “imminent and substantial” drop in purchases by China, and local coalmining communities should brace for the change, the lead author of a new study says.

The peer-reviewed paper, published on Thursday in the journal Joule, forecasts China’s thermal coal imports will contract at least a quarter from 2019 levels of 210m tonnes by 2025, mostly as improved transport links will give local suppliers an edge.

If China pursues more ambitious efforts to cut carbon emissions, the decline will be almost twice as fast, with imports sinking to 115m tonnes by 2025. Shipments of coking coal used in steelmaking face a similar downward trajectory, the researchers found.

The study used satellite and other data sources to compile a more detailed picture of individual power and steel plant coal demand. It also analysed how new transport links have expanded supplies from inland Chinese provinces and Mongolia to coastal users, supplanting Australian and Indonesian exporters.

“This was actually somewhat of a surprising outcome for us,” said Jorrit Gosens, a researcher at the Australian National University’s Crawford School of Public Policy and the report’s lead author.

“China reducing imports of thermal coal and coking coal by roughly a quarter over the next five years, that’s a major drop and not something that is far off into the future.”
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:48 am

While both major parties here have a policy of expanding coal mines.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:51 am

'Australian coalmining communities' don't have much choice about their dependency on the industry do they?

Frank Zappa

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:44 am

They'e had fair warning to diversify or move.
It's not like coal mining provides many jobs.Not like Gina will hurt much.

Woould you have the same apology for something else that pollutes?

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:54 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:51 am
'Australian coalmining communities' don't have much choice about their dependency on the industry do they?
Correct, but the owners of the mines will close them down the moment they are no longer economically viable, handing care of those communities over to state and federal governments.

Leigh Creek is a relatively recent example. The coal mine was owned by Alinta Energy. Its only customer was a power station in Port Augusta, also owned by Alinta Energy. The power station was built in 1960. When Alinta decided that the station had reached the end of its life, and a replacement was not economically viable without a $25 million government subsidy, it closed both down in 2015.

Alinta, now a subsidiary of Hong Kong-based Chow Tai Fook Enterprises, is doing alright. It is into gas production and retailing. The Leigh Creek community, or what is left of it, is not faring as well.

Ownership of the town was passed on to the South Australian government when the coal mine closed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:40 am

macdoc wrote:They'e had fair warning to diversify or move.
It's not like coal mining provides many jobs.Not like Gina will hurt much.

Woould you have the same apology for something else that pollutes?
Settle down there. I was referencing a statement in the article implying that 'communities' bear the responsibility for forestalling &/or dealing with the social and economic fallout from the future absence of an industry around which many of those communities were literally built. I believe that the just thing to do would be to charge the industry as a whole with addressing the social and economic consequences of their closure along with the environmental consequences of their activity. This is rightly the responsibility of government.

Frank Zappa

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Sun May 08, 2022 12:43 am

Getting ready to mow the lawn!
20220506_094342.jpg
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Sun May 08, 2022 12:45 am

P.S That's a 4 foot fence around my garden.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:09 pm

How to deliberately confuse weather and climate on a grand scale...
How Liberals View Weather vs Climate Brilliantly Revealed

The Daily Caller reports scientists tout new study on man-made warming as Americans sit under record snowfall.

The climate scientist at the center of the Climategate email scandal is out with a new study claiming man-made warming is responsible for record-breaking warmth in recent years.

The study’s timing, however, couldn’t have been any worse — a major blizzard has millions of Americans sitting under record levels of snowfall.

Climate scientists Michael Mann of Penn State University, along with other scientists, published a new study Monday claiming “record-setting temperatures were extremely unlikely to have occurred in the absence of human-caused climate change.”

But Mann’s study comes after Winter Storm Jonas ripped through the Eastern Seaboard, causing traffic jams, power outages and reportedly 30 fatalities. In the end, Americans from North Carolina to New York City were covered in 2 feet of snow.

AccuWeather reports that Washington, D.C., Baltimore, New York City and Philadelphia “shattered daily records for the most snow on Jan. 23.” No doubt, millions of people spent Sunday shoveling their driveways and digging out their cars.

While activists have tried to link the blizzard to global warming, many scientists have chosen to focus on surface temperature data showing a string of record-breaking years over the last decade. They claim this is due to man-made carbon dioxide emissions in the atmosphere.

“These same record temperatures were, by contrast, quite likely to have occurred in the presence of anthropogenic climate forcing,” Mann and his co-authors wrote, adding that nature and the sun had little to do with the Earth being so warm in the last decade or so...

... and so it contiunes ...

https://thefederalistpapers.org/us/how- ... y-revealed

Frank Zappa