Global Climate Change Science News

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:27 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:07 pm
Offsetting is a scam. The CO2 still goes into the atmosphere.
Dont tell macdoc that as the poor dear does not know what greenwashing is. He is just trying to justify why he has a motor bike and god knows how many cars AND a tv room. His must be a huge carbon foot print living on two continents and flying back and forth.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:53 pm

‘Like a clown’: what other countries thought of Boris Johnson at Cop26
PM could not resist wheeling out the usual jokes and antics at crucial summit, but the laughs never came

It was one of the defining images from Cop26.

Seated next to Boris Johnson on Monday and wearing a mask was 95-year-old David Attenborough. The prime minister, however, was maskless. At one point, Johnson seemed to have nodded off.

On stage and in front of 120 world leaders, the contrast between the two men was striking. The naturalist was sombre and serious. There was a “desperate hope” we might still avoid disaster, Attenborough said in Glasgow, in the most memorable phrase of the week. Joe Biden was among those to give him a standing ovation.

Johnson sought to strike a similarly elevated tone. There were serious moments in his speech: he mentioned a responsibility to future generations, for example, and to “children not yet born”.

But overall the prime minister appeared to rely on the jokes and verbal antics that have served him well in the past. With the world watching on the most urgent issue of the age, he sought to mix it up – part statesman, part standup.

Labour said his speech seemed thrown together at the last moment. To many others, his quips seemed strangely unsuited to the grave occasion and to his non-British audience.

He began by likening the climate crisis to James Bond wrestling with a ticking bomb. “It’s one minute to midnight on that Doomsday Clock and we need to act now,” he declared. (Days before, at the G20 summit in Rome, he had used football for his analogies – describing humanity as “5-1 down at half time”.)

Johnson’s Cop26 address was met with stony silence. The prime minister left pauses for laughs. They never came.
Typical of chumocracy; just make a joke.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:00 am

I dont agree much with Greta but when it comes to COP26 in Glasgow I cant agree more.

Cop26: Conference is a ‘PR event’, says Greta Thunberg – day five live

Day five (and with it the first week at Cop26) is winding down in Scotland. Still, events are only just getting started. Tomorrow the main protest will take place, and negotiations will continue through the weekend.

Several thousand young people marched into central Glasgow. Children were on the streets with their parents, classmates and teachers. They demanded world leaders do more to stop polluters and save the planet from catastrophic rising temperatures.

The climate activist Greta Thunberg slammed Cop26 as a “failure” and a “PR event”. “The leaders are not doing nothing, they are actively creating loopholes and shaping frameworks to benefit themselves and to continue profiting from this destructive system,” she said.

Scientists revealed that the carbon dioxide emissions of the richest 1% of humanity are on track to be 30 times greater than what is compatible with keeping global heating below 1.5C.

An updated UN analysis found that global carbon emissions are on track to rise by 13.7% by 2030. That is in stark contrast to the 50% cut that is needed by then to retain the possibility of keeping global temperature rise to 1.5C and avoid the worst impacts of the climate crisis.

However, initial analysis by the Energy Transition Commission showed that commitments and initiatives seen in the first week of Cop26 – if fully delivered by nations – would amount to 40% of the emissions cuts needed by 2030 to keep the world on track to a maximum of 1.5C of global heating.

The US climate envoy John Kerry said the $100bn promised by rich nations to poor nations can now be delivered in 2022, a year earlier than previously thought. It would still be two years later than its initial target.

And finally ... International delegates and Cop26 attendees expressed mixed views on Irn-Bru. Some conference visitors are now hooked on Scotland’s famous fizzy drink, while others can’t wait to leave it behind.
Better known as Chumocracy Greenwashing.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:10 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:38 pm
Johnson flew to and from COP26 in a private jet.
and I hear he used it to get flown into a men's only club where he could be free of the heckling that nasty, nasty Thunberg chit has been subjecting him to...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:13 am

JimC wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:30 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
If it actually involves tree planting on a large scale, in areas that need reforestation which wouldn't happen without the offset money, then they can indeed work (by the trees absorbing X amount of CO2 as they grow). But I'm sure there are also some scams out there as well.
we'll need to raise Atlantis and Mu from the bottom of the oceans to get enough land area to plant all the necessary trees, and I bet you doing so will involve a lot of carbon getting released...

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:45 am

You haven't done your home work ....just shooting off at the mouth. It's not just tree planting by any means but I'm not going to bother to try and educate the wilfuly ignorant.
:coffee:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:11 am

Disagreeing with you on offsetting isn't ignorance. Flouncing off when you're disagreed with doesn't facilitate an informed discussion.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:28 am

Offsetting is the 1% attempt at greenwashing but some members keep on watching movie channels and are removed from reality. The idea of paying for planting a couple trees is offsetting your carbon foot print is just plain stupid.
Stop using fossil fuels and flying idiots into space.
My central heating boiler is up for renewing next year and I am looking into heat pumps as I want to get rid of gas out of my house so I will be cooking on a conduction stove. Much cleaner anyway.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:38 am

I think flying idiots into space is worth the cost, if only they would not come back.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:13 am

JimC wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
If it actually involves tree planting on a large scale, in areas that need reforestation which wouldn't happen without the offset money, then they can indeed work (by the trees absorbing X amount of CO2 as they grow). But I'm sure there are also some scams out there as well.
I'm aware of the principles and the PR. It remains very difficult to measure personal emissions at the level of the product or service. Personal footprinting for air travel for example is based on an estimate of the amount of fuel needed to carry an average person on an average flight. It generally doesn't account the footprint of the ancillary services required to support air travel, such as refining, transporting, and storing that fuel. The operation of airports isn't usually factored into footprinting either, nor one's journey to and from or activity at the airport. The actual offsetting is mainly calculated by weighing the CO2 emitted during a flight against the CO2 absorbed during the lifetime of a tree or trees - where trees take at least 50 years to mature and where CO2 persists in the atmosphere for hundreds of years. Offsetting isnt a straight swap - my carbon now for your carbon now - but a hedge against future carbon absorption. There's also the fact that offsetting is voluntary, certification systems are often administrated by trade bodies like airlines, footpring is down to each airline to calculate as they decide, and no official, international standard for carbon offset accounting or policing are in place.

A study published last April analysed around 100 certified offsetting schemes. It covered offsets offered by projects supporting forest conservation, climate-friendly farming, direct air capture technology, etc etc. It found that 90% of the offsets either failed to offset as much as they claim, are not permanent, come with damaging side effects for local communities or ecosystems, or some combination of the above.

The main flaw though is the basic idea that emitters can pay for a right to emit, and that it's ultimately up to the end user to cover the economic cost of purchasing that right, while end users still suffer the consequences of those emissions.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:50 pm

You sure you got the correct paper there Brian? It makes the same case as other offsetting programs and offers it to the public. It supports the gold standard and touts its own approach.
ANY carbon sequestration is better than none at all
Compensate is a nonprofit combating climate change by offering everyone easy access to carbon capture.

"Compensate’s rigorous and transparent approach aligns with our founding principle to know the causes of things, for the betterment of society." – The London School of Economics and Political Science

"By partnering with Compensate, we are bringing awareness to the importance of protecting existing forests, for both the climate, wildlife and local communities." – Supercell
Compensate also supports Gold Standard’s initiative for ensuring policy level additionality. To be consistent with the final Article 6 guidance, Gold Standard is changing its requirements for new projects or projects renewing their crediting period. This sets an example for how to take into account the project’s host country policies and long-term climate measures, and thus prevent the project from taking credit for efforts that would be part of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) under the Paris Agreement.

4. What are some best case examples of compensation projects?

While it is difficult to pinpoint a “perfect” carbon project, Compensate’s portfolio is a good showcase of some high quality carbon projects. The most important things in a project are climate integrity (as measured by reliable calculations and verifications, clear project ownership, a realistic baseline and minimal carbon leakage) and positive impact for local communities and biodiversity.
https://www.compensate.com <<< your link.

Saying it "could be better" can apply to any organized human activity.

None of the targets will be reached even if we stopped emissions cold. It requires reduced emissions AND active removal of carbon from the atmosphere either through biological means or engineered industrial means - it will require both.

Buying personal offsets in no way relieves anyone of supporting and voting for parties that support large scale national and world initiatives. It is just one tool of many.

What are you proposing? - huddling in the dark while wringing your hands in despair? :roll:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:12 pm

More greenwashing. Do you expect anything else?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:34 pm

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:24 pm

It remains true that a very large effort in tree planting (in the right areas, and ecologically appropriate) is one of the effective strategies to mitigate climate change, much sounder that the technological pipe dreams of carbon capture and storage. It certainly cannot be achieved by voluntary carbon offsets alone (major government expenditure should be involved), but they can still be a useful part of the mix, when intelligently and honestly done.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:58 pm

Actually, I've got a scheme to use huge ass amounts of carbon and store them efficiently after subjecting them to massive heat and pressure... if I can also ruin de beers and turn antwerp to a ghost town, that's icing on the cake