Global Climate Change Science News

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Galaxian » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:50 pm

Tero wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:21 pm
Sun driven.
:funny:
Here is a graph of solar activity:
note the units: 1366 +/- 1. It is as steady as it can be.
Here's a better graph:
https://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress ... =624%2C317
And here it is brought up to date (a further 5 years). It confirms the above prediction from solar astronomers:
https://i1.wp.com/wattsupwiththat.com/w ... C350&ssl=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZlICdawHRA
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:12 pm

Yeah sunspots.
The number of spots shows absolutely nothing about watts per square meter landing on the earth. In a 1000 year frame the sun is essentially 99 plus % constant.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:45 pm

The claim that solar activity is a significant driver of contemporary climate change appears to be falsified. Same for historical climate change. I gave Galaxian a reference source for contemporary climate change as well as sources on historical climate change. He chose to make spurious claims about one sentence in my post instead of acknowledging the sources, let alone dealing with the evidence. Standard trolling behaviour, to be expected from a caitiff wannabe gadfly.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:53 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:45 pm
Standard trolling behaviour...
There's nothing standard about Galacticus. He's an interplanetary traveller, don't ya know?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:37 pm

There's a staaaar-man, waiting in the sky... he'd like to come and meet us but he thinks he'd blow our minds.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Galaxian

Post by Galaxian » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:50 am

Tero wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:12 pm
Yeah sunspots. :funny:
The number of spots shows absolutely nothing about watts per square meter landing on the earth. In a 1000 year frame the sun is essentially 99 plus % constant.
What an irony! Have you no shame? No intellectual probity? I'm not shocked that no one else here has pulled Tero into line over his contradiction of the graph he, himself posted! : as said before; this is just a cabal, a good mates club of mutual back-slapping... come what may.
Tero wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:21 pm
Sun driven. :funny:
Here is a graph of solar activity:
note the units: 1366 +/- 1. It is as steady as it can be.
Note that YOU introduced it by writing: Here is a graph of solar activity:. Then in the graph itself there is the distinct correlation of TSI (Total Solar Irradiance) with the sunspot numbers. But you didn't notice that... because that is not your agenda. Your agenda, come what may, is to attack Galaxian.
But your attacks on Galaxian will not save you. Keep living in a fool's paradise of old chums with no aim, no purpose, no wish to learn.

https://i0.wp.com/wattsupwiththat.com/w ... =600&ssl=1

Then , after massaging to suit their narrative:
https://i0.wp.com/wattsupwiththat.com/w ... =600&ssl=1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_maximum
"During solar maximum, large numbers of sunspots appear, and the solar irradiance output grows by about 0.07%.[2] The increased energy output of solar maxima can impact Earth's global climate, and recent studies have shown some correlation with regional weather patterns :coffee:
Last edited by Galaxian on Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:01 pm

I don't get what the argument is. But the "virgo scale" numbers do not lie.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:43 pm

You can do a bit of digging and find out why the sunspot counts were adjusted rather than just assuming it was done to further an agenda.

I even found a free paper detailing all the corrections made. What I saw made sense. It certainly isn't the case that a perfect count has been adjusted to fit an agenda. It's clear the counts were imperfect for a number of reasons, some of which could be fixed.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:49 pm

Actually, I guess being as accurate as possible is an agenda...

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:03 pm

Yeah but the spots are still irrelevant. 1361 + or - 1 is still only 0.1% variation in heat hitting the earth.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:21 am

When presented with the evidence from science and people's lived experience the only remaining arguments are appeals to fatalism, resignation, and impotence - their fatalism, resignation, and impotence.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:40 am

"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Galaxian

Post by Galaxian » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:27 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:40 am
Victoria Falls(?)
:drunk: And? Meaning? :think:
Some here may have seen or heard that in Tasmania we've been having snow. It's summer here by the way. So, as Tony Heller explains in the following video, if its heats up...its global warming. If it cools down...it's also global warming. If it rains more...it's global warming. If you have a drought...it's also global warming. Basically, whatever happens...it must be due to global warming (and the Russians!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxYAfv7yUzo

Of course, the simpletons may think..."so what" no harm done. We'll just change our mind later. Not so fast! Allegiance avoids change! The prostitutes & dick-heads who signed up with their wooo masters have too much invested to do an about turn. :coffee:

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:32 am

It's global warming though. It's not a myth.

1 "Climate's changed before" Climate reacts to whatever forces it to change at the time; humans are now the dominant forcing.
2 "It's the sun"
In the last 35 years of global warming, sun and climate have been going in opposite directions

3 "It's not bad" Negative impacts of global warming on agriculture, health & environment far outweigh any positives.
4 "There is no consensus"
97% of climate experts agree humans are causing global warming.

5 "It's cooling" The last decade 2000-2009 was the hottest on record.
6 "Models are unreliable"
Models successfully reproduce temperatures since 1900 globally, by land, in the air and the ocean.

7 "Temp record is unreliable" The warming trend is the same in rural and urban areas, measured by thermometers and satellites.
8 "Animals and plants can adapt" Global warming will cause mass extinctions of species that cannot adapt on short time scales.
9 "It hasn't warmed since 1998"
Every part of the Earth's climate system has continued warming since 1998, with 2015 shattering temperature records.

10 "Antarctica is gaining ice" Satellites measure Antarctica losing land ice at an accelerating rate.
11 "Ice age predicted in the 70s" The vast majority of climate papers in the 1970s predicted warming.
12 "CO2 lags temperature" CO2 didn't initiate warming from past ice ages but it did amplify the warming.
13 "Climate sensitivity is low" Net positive feedback is confirmed by many different lines of evidence.
14 "We're heading into an ice age" Worry about global warming impacts in the next 100 years, not an ice age in over 10,000 years.
15 "Ocean acidification isn't serious" Ocean acidification threatens entire marine food chains.
16 "Hockey stick is broken" Recent studies agree that recent global temperatures are unprecedented in the last 1000 years.
17 "Climategate CRU emails suggest conspiracy" A number of investigations have cleared scientists of any wrongdoing in the media-hyped email incident.
18 "Hurricanes aren't linked to global warming" There is increasing evidence that hurricanes are getting stronger due to global warming.
19 "Al Gore got it wrong"
Al Gore's book is quite accurate, and far more accurate than contrarian books.

20 "Glaciers are growing"
Most glaciers are retreating, posing a serious problem for millions who rely on glaciers for water.

21 "It's cosmic rays" Cosmic rays show no trend over the last 30 years & have had little impact on recent global warming.
22 "1934 - hottest year on record" 1934 was one of the hottest years in the US, not globally.
23 "It's freaking cold!" A local cold day has nothing to do with the long-term trend of increasing global temperatures.
24 "Extreme weather isn't caused by global warming" Extreme weather events are being made more frequent and worse by global warming.
25 "Sea level rise is exaggerated" A variety of different measurements find steadily rising sea levels over the past century.
26 "It's Urban Heat Island effect" Urban and rural regions show the same warming trend.
27 "Medieval Warm Period was warmer"
Globally averaged temperature now is higher than global temperature in medieval times.

28 "Mars is warming"
Mars is not warming globally.

29 "Arctic icemelt is a natural cycle"
Thick Arctic sea ice is undergoing a rapid retreat.

30 "Increasing CO2 has little to no effect" The strong CO2 effect has been observed by many different measurements.
31 "Oceans are cooling" The most recent ocean measurements show consistent warming.
32 "Climate scientists are in it for the money"
Climate scientists could make far more money in other careers - most notably, working for the oil industry.

33 "It's a 1500 year cycle"
Ancient natural cycles are irrelevant for attributing recent global warming to humans.

34 "Human CO2 is a tiny % of CO2 emissions" The natural cycle adds and removes CO2 to keep a balance; humans add extra CO2 without removing any.
35 "IPCC is alarmist"
Numerous papers have documented how IPCC predictions are more likely to underestimate the climate response.

36 "Water vapor is the most powerful greenhouse gas"
Rising CO2 increases atmospheric water vapor, which makes global warming much worse.

37 "Polar bear numbers are increasing" Polar bears are in danger of extinction as well as many other species.
38 "CO2 limits will harm the economy"
The benefits of a price on carbon outweigh the costs several times over.

39 "It's not happening"
There are many lines of evidence indicating global warming is unequivocal.

40 "Greenland was green" Other parts of the earth got colder when Greenland got warmer.
41 "Greenland is gaining ice" Greenland on the whole is losing ice, as confirmed by satellite measurement.
42 "CO2 is not a pollutant"
Through its impacts on the climate, CO2 presents a danger to public health and welfare, and thus qualifies as an air pollutant

43 "CO2 is plant food"
The effects of enhanced CO2 on terrestrial plants are variable and complex and dependent on numerous factors

44 "There's no empirical evidence" There are multiple lines of direct observations that humans are causing global warming.
45 "Other planets are warming"
Mars and Jupiter are not warming, and anyway the sun has recently been cooling slightly.

46 "Arctic sea ice has recovered" Thick arctic sea ice is in rapid retreat.
47 "There's no correlation between CO2 and temperature" There is long-term correlation between CO2 and global temperature; other effects are short-term.
48 "We're coming out of the Little Ice Age"
Scientists have determined that the factors which caused the Little Ice Age cooling are not currently causing global warming.

49 "It cooled mid-century" Mid-century cooling involved aerosols and is irrelevant for recent global warming.
50 "Global warming stopped in 1998, 1995, 2002, 2007, 2010, ????"
Global temperature is still rising and 2010 was the hottest recorded.

51 "CO2 was higher in the past"
When CO2 was higher in the past, the sun was cooler.

52 "It warmed before 1940 when CO2 was low" Early 20th century warming is due to several causes, including rising CO2.
53 "Satellites show no warming in the troposphere" The most recent satellite data show that the earth as a whole is warming.
54 "It's aerosols"
Aerosols have been masking global warming, which would be worse otherwise.

55 "2009-2010 winter saw record cold spells"
A cold day in Chicago in winter has nothing to do with the trend of global warming.

56 "It's a natural cycle"
No known natural forcing fits the fingerprints of observed warming except anthropogenic greenhouse gases.

57 "It's El Niño" El Nino has no trend and so is not responsible for the trend of global warming.
58 "Mt. Kilimanjaro's ice loss is due to land use"
Most glaciers are in rapid retreat worldwide, notwithstanding a few complicated cases.

59 "It's not us" Multiple sets of independent observations find a human fingerprint on climate change.
60 "There's no tropospheric hot spot"
We see a clear "short-term hot spot" - there's various evidence for a "long-term hot spot".

61 "It's Pacific Decadal Oscillation"
The PDO shows no trend, and therefore the PDO is not responsible for the trend of global warming.

62 "2nd law of thermodynamics contradicts greenhouse theory" The 2nd law of thermodynamics is consistent with the greenhouse effect which is directly observed.
63 "Scientists can't even predict weather" Weather and climate are different; climate predictions do not need weather detail.
64 "IPCC were wrong about Himalayan glaciers"
Glaciers are in rapid retreat worldwide, despite 1 error in 1 paragraph in a 1000 page IPCC report.

65 "Greenhouse effect has been falsified" The greenhouse effect is standard physics and confirmed by observations.
66 "CO2 limits will hurt the poor"
Those who contribute the least greenhouse gases will be most impacted by climate change.

67 "Clouds provide negative feedback" Evidence is building that net cloud feedback is likely positive and unlikely to be strongly negative.
68 "The science isn't settled" That human CO2 is causing global warming is known with high certainty & confirmed by observations.
69 "Sea level rise predictions are exaggerated" Sea level rise is now increasing faster than predicted due to unexpectedly rapid ice melting.
70 "It's the ocean" The oceans are warming and moreover are becoming more acidic, threatening the food chain.
71 "IPCC were wrong about Amazon rainforests"
The IPCC statement on Amazon rainforests was correct, and was incorrectly reported in some media.

72 "Corals are resilient to bleaching" Globally about 1% of coral is dying out each year.
73 "Volcanoes emit more CO2 than humans"
Humans emit 100 times more CO2 than volcanoes.

74 "CO2 effect is saturated" Direct measurements find that rising CO2 is trapping more heat.
75 "Greenland ice sheet won't collapse"
When Greenland was 3 to 5 degrees C warmer than today, a large portion of the Ice Sheet melted.

76 "500 scientists refute the consensus" Around 97% of climate experts agree that humans are causing global warming.
77 "CO2 is just a trace gas"
Many substances are dangerous even in trace amounts; what really matters is the total amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.

78 "It's methane" Methane plays a minor role in global warming but could get much worse if permafrost starts to melt.
79 "CO2 has a short residence time"
Excess CO2 from human emissions has a long residence time of over 100 years

80 "CO2 measurements are suspect" CO2 levels are measured by hundreds of stations across the globe, all reporting the same trend.
81 "Humidity is falling" Multiple lines of independent evidence indicate humidity is rising and provides positive feedback.
82 "Neptune is warming" And the sun is cooling.
83 "Jupiter is warming" Jupiter is not warming, and anyway the sun is cooling.
84 "Springs aren't advancing" Hundreds of flowers across the UK are flowering earlier now than any time in 250 years.
85 "It's land use"
Land use plays a minor role in climate change, although carbon sequestration may help to mitigate.

86 "CO2 is not increasing" CO2 is increasing rapidly, and is reaching levels not seen on the earth for millions of years.
87 "Scientists tried to 'hide the decline' in global temperature" The 'decline' refers to a decline in northern tree-rings, not global temperature, and is openly discussed in papers and the IPCC reports.
88 "Record snowfall disproves global warming" Warming leads to increased evaporation and precipitation, which falls as increased snow in winter.
89 "They changed the name from 'global warming' to 'climate change'"
'Global warming' and 'climate change' mean different things and have both been used for decades.

90 "Solar Cycle Length proves its the sun" The sun has not warmed since 1970 and so cannot be driving global warming.
91 "CO2 is coming from the ocean"
The ocean is absorbing massive amounts of CO2, and is becoming more acidic as a result.

92 "IPCC overestimate temperature rise"
Monckton used the IPCC equation in an inappropriate manner.

93 "Pluto is warming"
And the sun has been recently cooling.

94 "CO2 is not the only driver of climate"
Theory, models and direct measurement confirm CO2 is currently the main driver of climate change.

95 "Peer review process was corrupted" An Independent Review concluded that CRU's actions were normal and didn't threaten the integrity of peer review.
96 "CO2 limits will make little difference"
If every nation agrees to limit CO2 emissions, we can achieve significant cuts on a global scale.

97 "Arctic was warmer in 1940"
The actual data show high northern latitudes are warmer today than in 1940.

98 "Renewable energy is too expensive"
When you account for all of the costs associated with burning coal and other fossil fuels, like air pollution and health effects, in reality they are significantly more expensive than most renewable energy sources.

99 "Southern sea ice is increasing" Antarctic sea ice has grown in recent decades despite the Southern Ocean warming at the same time.
100 "Sea level rise is decelerating"
Global sea level data shows that sea level rise has been increasing since 1880 while future sea level rise predictions are based on physics, not statistics.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:48 am

It's snowing in Tasmania because of a disruption of the southern polar vortex.

Globally this decade has been the hottest ever. Followed by the previous decade. Followed by the one before that. Maybe you should find a youtube video about it.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.