Global Climate Change Science News

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:31 pm

Galaxian wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:06 pm
Take for example my response to L'Emmerdeur, here, viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9036&start=2085#p1846846 where I pointed out the blunder in his post, where he states:
"In addition, the Maunder Minimum occurred .....before the onset of the Maunder Minimum." He STILL could not understand or admit where he had stuffed up! So how can he or you understand a formal presentation in a scientific journal.
Actual unedited quote, original here:

'In addition, the Maunder Minimum occurred during a period known as the Little Ice Age which began before the onset of the Maunder Minimum.'

That sentence is clear in its meaning--that the Little Ice Age began before the Maunder Minimum. Your attempt to distort its meaning is nothing less than pathetic. You resort to dishonesty when you cannot dispute the fact.

Dishonestly editing my post to support a false claim is nothing but trolling. It would appear that you get some gratification from trolling, since that's pretty much all you spend your time on here. One would think that a person with such incredibly deep knowledge and familiarity with information which the rest of the species is unaware of would have better things to do. It's obvious to anybody who's read your posts that there is no such person. Rather there's a rather ludicrous persona to which you refer in the third person.

I don't mind indulging you on occasion by interacting with your silly creation, but I wish you'd spend some time on giving it better material to present.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:33 pm

"Don’t make people feel stupid
Don’t spout statistics or cite the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change – unless your relatives are Vulcans."
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... amily-tips
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:06 pm

It amuses me that crazy people who say they travel with aliens expect to be taken seriously in any rational argument...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:51 pm

The bankers will still give you a 30 year mortgage in Miami, my beachfront home is probably not in the cards before then, worse luck.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:58 pm

The bankers will still give you a mortgage, but the insurers will surely leave you high and dry - so to speak (maybe that should be 'low and wet' instead). As we learned with the 2007/08 crash, they don't really care anyway because the tax payer will ultimately foot the bill in the end.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

laklak

Post by laklak » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:01 pm

As long as the U.S. government remains Deniers I'll be OK, my Federal flood insurance is $400 a year on the Florida house. The Swazi house is in the mountains and the boat doesn't give a shit.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:04 pm

Let's hope that the $400 isn't the amount of cover you'll get when hurricane Barak swings by! :)
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

laklak

Post by laklak » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:11 pm

I'm more worried about Hurricane Hillary.
Attachments
Hillary Suicide.jpg

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:57 am

Tipping points might be closer than we realise: https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/201 ... t/11735942
ut the kids are right. The world is now dangerously close to tipping points that will set in motion unstoppable ecosystem collapses. This is a climate emergency.

That's the message from scientists writing in Nature on Thursday, who say that for some systems, the window to act may have already closed.

A decade ago, it was widely thought that most tipping points wouldn't be reached until around 5 degrees Celsius of warming, but now evidence is mounting that they're more likely to happen at between 1C and 2C above pre-industrial levels, according to Will Steffen from ANU's Climate Change Institute, one of the authors of the paper.

Currently we're at a global average of about 1C degree of warming.

"The more we learn, the riskier it looks," Professor Steffen said.

The scientists warn that the Amundsen Sea ice sheet off West Antarctica may have already reached a tipping point where ice melt is now irreversible.

Once this sector collapses, it will cause a cascade of collapse across the West Antarctic which will add about 3 metres to sea levels over the coming centuries.
So, Galaxian, tell us about your degree in science.

I'll tell you about mine...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:20 am

You didn't provide a YouTube video, so your argument is invalid. :coffee:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:44 pm

All the ice will melt. It will take some thousands of years. Greenland is basically nothing, it is some 10-15% of the ice. But it is going fast. All because you could not walk to the store to buy a six pack of Bud Light, you Trumpsters.

Youtube proof!
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Post by Galaxian » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:46 am

JimC wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:57 am
I'm not about to engage in a pissing contest with you. Like pandering to a 5 year old. Degrees in science, or anything else, are not an indicator of intellectual capacity... Read a bit of history to establish that for yourself. Even the Nobel Piece of Shit prize in problematic...
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:31 pm
Galaxian wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:06 pm
Take for example my response to L'Emmerdeur, here, viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9036&start=2085#p1846846 where I pointed out the blunder in his post, where he states:
"In addition, the Maunder Minimum occurred .....before the onset of the Maunder Minimum." He STILL could not understand or admit where he had stuffed up! So how can he or you understand a formal presentation in a scientific journal?
Actual unedited quote, original here
Learn what a 'clause' is in a sentence, and how to use it properly.
Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:47 pm
Thank you for that video Galaxian - it aptly demonstrates my point. Moral arguments which seek to refute the science are a fallacy of composition. Arguments over what we should do as a society given the facts of the matter are a different matter. However, we are not treated to that here, but instead we get a duplititous [sic] narrative which casts climate science and scientists as a malign and mendacious force. It's made clear from this video that its contributors are not in favour of structural measures to mitigate the climate and environmental emergency, instead they favour the corporatists business-as-usual status quo which places profits and the avoidance of the consequential environmental costs associated with doing absolutely nothing but more of the same. To call an entire branch of robust science a malicious hoax in this context is an example of moral hypocrisy of the highest order.
Brian, did you come down in last night's shower of rain? Are you sooo innocent and unaware of how the world works, despite Galaxian trying to guide you? Here: "There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian" Is that just a pithy cliche to you?

Humans are a herd organism. They tend to flock together, in society, in institutions, in beliefs, and so forth. Yes, the clergy of Climate Scientism is a malign & mendacious force. Its members have either been bought off or threatened or are too supine to go against the flow. They want to 'fit in'.

You have the evidence right here on Rationalia: This contributors to this topic form a cabal that's against Galaxian. They will attack whatever Galaxian says. They will never rebuke anyone else for glaring errors, such as the one by L'Emmerdeur (above). It is a blatant form of 'group-think'; "All for one and one for all". That's no way to enhance your knowledge & wisdom; it is sheeplistic scientism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRuAmhTCNTw

You mentioned a "malign & mendacious force". Yes, sit down before you faint: How many of these widespread fires in California, in the Amazon, in Eastern Australia have been DELIBERATELY LIT? Presumably some were arson by naughty children. But how many have been started by the fire brigade, the police, by land developers, by the Intelligence & Security Services, by Environmentalists such as WWF & Greenpeace, by Do-gooders, by Psychos, etc?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMfYjKauHbs
:prof:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:30 am

Appeals to cod psychology do not alter the facts of Carbon or Methane chemistry or the relative amount of said elements in the atmosphere, nor does it address the facts about the influence human activity has upon those levels.

After shifting the goalpost and avoiding any attempt to redress a comprehensive catalogue of fallacies Galaxian's entire thesis now rests on assertions that humans are too stupid to recognise that business-as-usual has no deleterious impact on the biosphere - while also saying that if it does then it's a natural process we shouldn't interfere with.

Psychologically speaking however, we all understand why people choose to align themselves with those with wealth, power and high-status regardless of, and in plain contradiction to, the facts - we have a plethora of evidence of that both in the written record of human history as around us today.

Like so many poor, powerless, low-status individuals Galaxian has become naught but an apologist (in both senses) for the prevailing hegemony not realising that when push comes to shove the powerful will just as eagerly throw their defenders under the bus as easily as they would those who oppose and challenge them. In fact, that is exactly what they are doing right now.

At the end of the day nobody is going to appreciate your stolid defence of self-serving political incompetence, corporate greed, or the profligate exploitation of people and resources that they engender and rely on Galaxian. There will be no redemption for you Galaxain, no salvation that will, or ever has, lifted the lowly up to sit beside the mighty - either in this life or the next.

Frank Zappa

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Post by Galaxian » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:04 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:30 am
Appeals to cod psychology do not alter the facts of Carbon or Methane chemistry or the relative amount of said elements in the atmosphere, nor does it address the facts about the influence human activity has upon those levels.
At the end of the day nobody is going to appreciate .... self-serving political incompetence, corporate greed, or the profligate exploitation of people and resources that they engender and rely on.... There will be no redemption, no salvation that will, or ever has, lifted the lowly up to sit beside the mighty - either in this life or the next.
:clap: :cheers: Galaxian agrees with every word you've written :this:

But the following is just gibberish:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:30 am
After shifting the goalpost and avoiding any attempt to redress a comprehensive catalogue of fallacies Galaxian's entire thesis now rests on assertions that humans are too stupid to recognise that business-as-usual has no deleterious impact on the biosphere.
Psychologically speaking however, we all understand why people choose to align themselves with those with wealth, power and high-status regardless of, and in plain contradiction to, the facts - we have a plethora of evidence of that both in the written record of human history as around us today.
Like so many poor, powerless, low-status individuals Galaxian has become naught but an apologist (in both senses) for the prevailing hegemony not realising that when push comes to shove the powerful will just as eagerly throw their defenders under the bus as easily as they would those who oppose and challenge them. In fact, that is exactly what they are doing right now.
The so-called goal posts are in your imagination. I don't do goal posts. The comprehensive catalogue of fallacies are in your camp.
You have a simplistic concept of 'humans'. There is a whole variety & gradation of 'humans'. Some are more human, some less so. Some smarter, some dumber, some fitter & some sickly, some athletic & some sedentary lumps, some able & others disabled.... There are a hundred sheeple in my field; they do not care to align themselves with those in power & wealth... not that they've told me, anyway.

On the contrary, you are the apologist for the hegemons, not Galaxian.
Galaxian does not care about being thrown under a bus. Does not care for fame or fortune.Does not even care about winning this debate. Indeed, if truth be told, Galaxian would rather let you 'win'... much good that may do you
Learn from Prof. Happer about the role of CO2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-9UlF8hkhs
:coffee:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:14 pm

Galaxian wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:46 am
JimC wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:57 am
I'm not about to engage in a pissing contest with you.
Why am I not surprised that someone who claims to have travelled to other planets will not want to have his bona fides evaluated in comparison to someone who has graduated with a degree that requires competence in exercising the scientific method? Sorry, Glaxative, but your "knowledge", garnered from videos proffered by Youtube U is no better than had you selected opinion pieces by Prager U in support of your views. You're permanently stuck up Uranus. Contrary to your wild imaginings you'll never make your way up Mars. You are fucking nuts.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould