Global Climate Change Science News

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:56 pm

Aye, but there's no geese on a dead planet - golden or otherwise. If economic factors are deemed to legitimately outweigh the avoidable risks, losses, and damages of Global Heating then perhaps the economic paradigm, and the political paradigms that support and enables it, needs to change.

Join me comrades!

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

aufbahrung

Post by aufbahrung » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:18 pm

The resources for change were there at the start of the 20th C and squandered. Now we can fantasize on change. But it is obvious that is all we can do in our socio-economic exhaustion. With the cheap easily found material and intellectual dream life being a derivative of population and fossil fuels it is matter of time before closure comes in a typical civilisation crash, leaving rubbles and a world soon enough with climate change drowning most arable land, empty of most if not all people...like Neanderthals who also were many until they were all gone...so will humans vanish one bad winter from the face of this blind indifferent planet.
WeAreAStableCountry

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:21 pm

:crumple:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:29 am

here you go - go nuts
https://coast.noaa.gov/slr/#/layer/slr/ ... dAccretion

that's a 3m rise. That's gonna happen regardless of what we do as Greenland is done...it's also going to take a while.

then there is this
Today’s hydroponic farming systems can produce 240 times more crops than traditional farming in one year. And that’s while using 98% less water and 99% less land. This solves several of the major problems in feeding the developing world.
https://www.edengreen.com/blog-collecti ... rld-hunger
:coffee:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:19 am

Hydroponics is the way forward, but we already produce enough food to feed the world. However, the bottleneck has always been geographical and in the distribution chain.

In 2020 the World Food Program estimated that c.1.3bn tonnes of food went to waste annually - about a third of all food produced. The UN Sustainable Development Goals were integrated into the Paris Agreement 2018 with SDG-2 aiming to halve food waste by 2030 - but individually and collectively governments have done little to move in that direction.

It seems a no-brainer to start restructuring the food production system to produce food locally where it's needed rather than fly or ship it half-way round the world - but then we have to account for global disparities in production costs (cheaper to fly in peas from Kenya than to grow them locally) and the vested interests in the global food procurement and distribution chain who effectively set the price of staples like grain.

The amount of food wasted annually would feed those in nutritional deficit globally twice over, and if a system that produces so much waste still leave people in nutritional deficit then perhaps its time to change the system.

Join me comrades!

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:34 am

‘Everyone should be concerned’: Antarctic sea ice reaches lowest levels ever recorded
With the continent holding enough ice to raise sea levels by many metres if it was to melt, polar scientists are scrambling for answers

Sun 5 Mar 2023 06.00 AEDT
For 44 years, satellites have helped scientists track how much ice is floating on the ocean around Antarctica’s 18,000km coastline.

The continent’s fringing waters witness a massive shift each year, with sea ice peaking at about 18m sq km each September before dropping to just above 2m sq km by February.

But across those four decades of satellite observations, there has never been less ice around the continent than there was last week.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... r-recorded
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:34 am

Estimated sea level rise for a Greenland and Western Antarctica melt are around 5m in the next 200 years.

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:37 am

Contributions to sea level rise from the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets are expected to continue for millennia to come, with total amounts depending on how society responds to global warming.

https://sealevel.nasa.gov/faq/11/how-mu ... antarctica

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:47 pm

1000 super-emitting methane leaks risk triggering climate tipping points

More than 1,000 “super-emitter” sites gushed the potent greenhouse gas methane into the global atmosphere in 2022, the Guardian can reveal, mostly from oil and gas facilities. The worst single leak spewed the pollution at a rate equivalent to 67m running cars.

Separate data also reveals 55 “methane bombs” around the world – fossil fuel extraction sites where gas leaks alone from future production would release levels of methane equivalent to 30 years of all US greenhouse gas emissions.

Methane emissions cause 25% of global heating today and there has been a “scary” surge since 2007, according to scientists. This acceleration may be the biggest threat to keeping below 1.5C of global heating and seriously risks triggering catastrophic climate tipping points, researchers say.

The two new datasets identify the sites most critical to preventing methane-driven disaster, as tackling leaks from fossil fuel sites is the fastest and cheapest way to slash methane emissions. Some leaks are deliberate, venting the unwanted gas released from underground while drilling for oil into the air, and some are accidental, from badly maintained or poorly regulated equipment.

Fast action would dramatically slow global heating as methane is short-lived in the atmosphere. An emissions cut of 45% by 2030, which the UN says is possible, would prevent 0.3C of temperature rise. Methane emissions therefore present both a grave threat to humanity, but also a golden opportunity to decisively act on the climate crisis.

“The current rise in methane looks very scary indeed,” said Prof Euan Nisbet, at Royal Holloway, University of London in the UK. “Methane acceleration is perhaps the largest factor challenging our Paris agreement goals. So removing the super-emitters is a no-brainer to slow the rise – you get a lot of bang for your buck.”

“Methane emissions are still far too high, especially as methane cuts are among the cheapest options to limit near-term global warming,” said Fatih Birol, head of the International Energy Agency. “There is just no excuse.”...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ing-points
But Campitalism can fix this, surely?

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:11 pm

ibid wrote:... Turkmenistan had the highest number of super-emitting events – 184.

Little is known about fossil fuel production under Turkmenistan’s repressive dictatorship. But the colossal leaks may be the result of ageing Soviet-era equipment, experts said, or attempts to avoid scrutiny over flaring, when vented gas is ignited to form less damaging CO2 but produces easily visible flames. Turkmenistan dominated the top 100 largest super-emitter events from fossil fuels, with 70 events.

The US had 154 super-emitter events from fossil fuel sites. The biggest was in March last year, near San Antonio in Texas, releasing 147 tonnes an hour, while the second biggest was in a fracking field in rural Pennsylvania, and lasted for 13 days.

Russia had 120 super-emitting events in 2022. Other nations in the top 15 include Algeria, China, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Iran and Iraq. The second largest fossil fuel leak of the year – 356 tonnes an hour – was in Iraq, apparently from an oil refinery near Basra. Most of Australia’s super-emitting leaks were from coalmines in the Bowen Basin in Queensland.

Overall, the Kayrros data shows no decline of super-emitter events between 2021 and 2022, nor any decline in the company’s wider datasets going back to 2019. “The annual rate of change is very close to zero,” said Lelong.

Super-emitter events from other human sources were also evident in the satellite data, including large waste dumps, illegal tapping of gas pipes, and rice paddies, in countries including India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Argentina...

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:42 am

Frank Zappa

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:50 pm

"It has become increasingly clear that, on our current path, that we will reach that 1.5-degree limit sometime in the 2030s," UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said following Monday's IPCC report.

Right now, the planet has warmed between 1.1 C and 1.3 C, and we are already seeing the repercussions, from increased deadly wildfires and flooding to droughts.
got laughed at when I said the same thing a while back.....my sense is it might not even clear the 2020s before we see a 1.5 El Nino year.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/ipcc-cl ... -1.6782625

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:30 pm

And that's the global average estimate. We're already seeing temperatures in southern Africa and north east Asia exceeding 1.5 above historical levels.

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:48 am

Whoddathunkit?
Etihad Airways’ ‘sustainable aviation’ ads banned in UK

An ad campaign by Etihad Airways trumpeting its approach to “sustainable aviation” has been banned by the UK advertising watchdog, which ruled it was misleading consumers over the environmental impact of flying.

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) national carrier, which has an extensive marketing strategy that includes sponsorship of Manchester City Premier League team including stadium naming rights, ran two Facebook adverts promoting its green credentials.

Acknowledging the impact flying has on the environment, the ads promoted the airline’s “louder, bolder approach to sustainable aviation”, including pushing the idea that choosing Etihad was a “conscious choice for the planet” and promoting initiatives such as cutting back on single-use plastic cutlery.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) began an investigation into the campaign – which used imagery including plants, the Earth and text stating Etihad was “Environmental airline of the year 2022” – over concerns its claims were misleading by “exaggerating the environmental benefits of flying” with the airline...

Frank Zappa

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:54 am

This is climate science?