"...just slay them all"

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

"...just slay them all"

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:21 pm

Back in the Reagan Era, there was much talk about the Strategic Defense Initiative - the "Star Wars" program. Now the program is back but it's turned its attention from nuclear missiles to mosquitos.

The real target, as before, isn't the carrier itself, but the warhead inside - in this case, malaria. With over a million people dying each year to this virulent virus, big spenders like Bill Gates, the United Nations and the U.K. have donated billions of dollars to fight it.

Dr. Lowell Wood, part of the original "Star Wars" project, suggested enlisting lasers in the fight against the disease. By early 2008, the first mosquito laser fatality was down to the brainchild of Dr. Wood, Dr. Jordin Kare and another ex-"Star Wars" scientist.

"We like to think back then we made some contribution to the ending of the Cold War with the Star Wars program," Dr. Kare said. "Now we're just trying to make a dent in a war that's actually gone on a lot longer and claimed a lot more lives."

The only problem now is calibrating it so that the lasers can turn the buzzing pests into smoking corpses without endangering other wildlife, especially the human variety; according to tests the laser is powerful enough to zap mosquitos while leaving butterflies unharmed.

In a demonstration, the machine itself was so sensitive that it could tell male mosquitos from female mosquitos (from the wingbeat), which is vital as it's only the female mosquito that can pass malaria.

"If you really were a purist, you could only kill the females, not the males," Myhrvold said. But since they're mosquitoes, he says, he'll probably "just slay them all
Source.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Feck

Re: "...just slay them all"

Post by Feck » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:45 pm

A nice example of swords into plowshares ,but a lot of them would be needed ,and they don't sound cheap .
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:48 pm

mrenutt4 wrote:A nice example of swords into plowshares ,but a lot of them would be needed ,and they don't sound cheap .
Taking out a significant share of the breeding population with each use would be a big plus. Kill the breeders in the populated areas, then locate them on the periphery and have a "barricade" in place. Then mobile units could be deployed as needed. (And they'll get cheaper as demand goes up. Solar powered versions for use in remote areas.)

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:53 pm

So when sea otters and mountain leopards become few we try to save them but, it's alright to wipe out mosquitoes because they're infectious baby killers? :nono:

Mr. Gates. How could you? :weep:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:56 pm

Animavore wrote:So when sea otters and mountain leopards become few we try to save them but, it's alright to wipe out mosquitoes because they're infectious baby killers? :nono:

Mr. Gates. How could you? :weep:
The "Moquito Catchers" will weep for them. As far as I'm concerned, they can all fucking die.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:59 pm

If anything we should have more mosquitoes and more malaria. The human race needs some serious reduction in numbers. Well not to worry. If it's not mosquitoes that kill the numbers it'll be some other disease or war or famine. Gaia will restore itself.

(disclaimer: the above statement is completely flippant and does not represent my actual views)
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:39 pm

It does make me wonder what the effect on the ecosystem will be if mosquitoes are wiped out.

Billions of the little fuckers are eaten by fish, birds, other insects, spiders, and fuck knows what else every year - much as I despise mozzies, I am quite concerned about upsetting fragile ecosystems. Removing the mosquitoes (or even just significantly reducing their numbers) could lead to the extinction of their predators, their predators' predators, etc.

The ecosystem will stablise again, that is a given, but no-one can predict its new shape and what knock on effects to humanity might occur. As an example, would pollinating insects for vital food-crops be affected?
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

CP

Post by CP » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:41 am

I'm pretty sure the mosquitoes are kind of important to the ecosystem. Although it's kind of amusing to see somebody go "fuck it, the Malaria parasite's too hard to kill -- let's get the buggers who are moving them around."

Wouldn't it be cheaper to donate more mosquito nets and repellent to badly affected countries?
We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:46 am

CP wrote:I'm pretty sure the mosquitoes are kind of important to the ecosystem. Although it's kind of amusing to see somebody go "fuck it, the Malaria parasite's too hard to kill -- let's get the buggers who are moving them around."

Wouldn't it be cheaper to donate more mosquito nets and repellent to badly affected countries?
The skeeters are filling a niche. If we kill them off, something else will fill that niche. And it probably won't suck our blood.

Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin
About me: 100% Pure Evil. (Not from Concentrate)

Post by Don't Panic » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:06 am

Animavore wrote:If anything we should have more mosquitoes and more malaria. The human race needs some serious reduction in numbers. Well not to worry. If it's not mosquitoes that kill the numbers it'll be some other disease or war or famine. Gaia will restore itself.

(disclaimer: the above statement is completely flippant and does not represent my actual views)
A good war or two will sort that out, no need to resort to disease.
Gawd wrote:»
And those Zumwalts are already useless, they can be taken out with an ICBM.
The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful. And . . . the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned.
D.N.A.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:12 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
CP wrote:I'm pretty sure the mosquitoes are kind of important to the ecosystem. Although it's kind of amusing to see somebody go "fuck it, the Malaria parasite's too hard to kill -- let's get the buggers who are moving them around."

The skeeters are filling a niche. If we kill them off, something else will fill that niche. And it probably won't suck our blood.
But what about the creatures who have filled the niche of eating skeeters? No species lives in isolation in this world.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:24 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

But what about the creatures who have filled the niche of eating skeeters? No species lives in isolation in this world.
True, but the things that eat the skeeter eat other things. Not many things specialize in eating the little vampires, IIRC.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:32 am

Both larval and adult dragonflies feed almost exclusively on mosquitoes. They are an obvious casualty of a rapid decline in mozzy numbers.

I am not saying that the ecosystem will collapse but it will certainly change in unpredictable ways. Removing any species from a food chain is bound to effect the other species in that chain. How is anybody's guess. Wiping out a species from any environment, or adding a new one for that matter, is a risky business.

There are other malaria control plans in an early stage that are less destructive, including genetically modifying the little bastards so that they can no longer host the Plasmodium parasite. They will still bite though! :lay:
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

CP

Post by CP » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:03 am

But just think -- if we wipe out malaria, biology teachers all over the world will lose their favourite example of a deleterous recessive with positive effects when heterozygous! Are we willing to make that sacrifice?

Next you'll want to kill those little moths that can have pale or dark wings. :nono:
We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

eXcommunicate
Mr Handsome Sr.

Post by eXcommunicate » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:12 am

I don't see how such a system would destroy the entire species. It would be useful over inhabited areas though.
Michael Hafer
You know, when I read that I wanted to muff-punch you with my typewriter.
One girl; two cocks. Ultimate showdown.