ChatGPT - Is The Singularity Over Yet?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: ChatGPT - Is The Singularity Over Yet?

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:16 am

Image I think Brian is James Fell. ImageImage
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:17 am

:lol:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:14 pm

pErvinalia wrote:Image I think Brian is James Fell. ImageImage
Image But I do look forward to a future shared with AI - I'd just rather it was Star Trek post-scarcity utopia AI rather than Skynet or Matrix AI.Image
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:31 pm

https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:08 pm

AI versions of all the VIPS are now on Twitch and you can ask them questions:

https://www.twitch.tv/atheneaiheroes

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:02 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-28/ ... /103269036
The New York Times is suing Microsoft and OpenAI, the creator of ChatGPT, claiming millions of its news articles have been misused by the tech companies to train their AI-powered chatbots.

It's the first time one of America's big traditional media companies has taken on the new technology in court. And it sets up a showdown over the increasingly contentious use of copyrighted content to fuel artificial intelligence software.

The legal complaint, which demands a jury trial in a New York district court, says the bots' creators have refused to recognise copyright protections afforded by legislation and the US Constitution. It says the bots, including those incorporated into Microsoft products like its Bing search engine, have repurposed the Times's content to compete with it.

"Times journalists go where the story is, often at great risk and cost, to inform the public about important and pressing issues," the Times's complaint argues.

"Their essential work is made possible through the efforts of a large and expensive organization that provides legal, security, and operational support.

"Defendants' unlawful use of The Times's work to create artificial intelligence products that compete with it threatens The Times's ability to provide that service."

The Times wants the court to hold Microsoft and OpenAI responsible "for the billions of dollars in statutory and actual damages that they owe". It's also requested the "destruction" of parts of the chatbots that incorporate Times content.
And my gin!

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:30 pm

It's a difficult question. Because the ai does what every human being does. Learning by reading. It doesn't reproduce content. No one will sue a human author although a human couldn't be creative without having read a lot of other people's stuff before.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:31 pm

If you put your ideas into the world, they will be consumed. So what's the problem here? Is it that the consumer is able to produce another product using parts of yours, or that the consumer reaches more people in the end? I'm afraid I don't get it. At best maybe you can charge AI companies more than the average consumer for access to your product --good luck with that.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:14 am

NineBerry wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:30 pm
It's a difficult question. Because the ai does what every human being does. Learning by reading. It doesn't reproduce content. No one will sue a human author although a human couldn't be creative without having read a lot of other people's stuff before.
However, a lot of the content generated by the AI on topics reported in the newspaper doesn't just have the gist of the report, it's almost word for word...
And my gin!

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:22 am

JimC wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:14 am
NineBerry wrote:
However, a lot of the content generated by the AI on topics reported in the newspaper doesn't just have the gist of the report, it's almost word for word...
Nah, that's wrong. Large Language Models will generate their own wording and often their own facts. :hehe:

The only exception is Bing Copilot which is more like an AI-powered web search. It does quote from websites but also references its sources with links.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:32 pm

NineBerry wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:22 am
JimC wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:14 am
NineBerry wrote:
Nah, that's wrong. Large Language Models will generate their own wording and often their own facts. :hehe:

The only exception is Bing Copilot which is more like an AI-powered web search. It does quote from websites but also references its sources with links.
If you read through the news report I posted, rather than just the excerpt, you will come to a section showing a word-for-word identity example, which the newspaper is using in its legal case...
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:57 pm

Culture develops through theft.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:57 pm

JimC wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:32 pm
If you read through the news report I posted, rather than just the excerpt, you will come to a section showing a word-for-word identity example, which the newspaper is using in its legal case...
Oh but they are cheating. They are specifically asking for the news article. The AI doesn't generate the content based on a general question and doesn't pretend it was its own creation. It quotes an article it has seen when asked for that.

That's a different issue and can easily be prevented by adjusting the morality rules (the "Alignment") of the AI by telling it that quoting larger parts of copyrighted work verbatim is not allowed.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:23 pm

Well, it will be interesting to see how the lawsuit plays out in court...
And my gin!