Pub
25%

Total votes: 8

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Mathematics Fries My Brains

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:09 am

I didn't respond well to my mathematical education. I enjoyed my sciences but there was something about mathematics - or at least the way it was taught to me - that never seemed to answer a kind of fundamental question for me. That question was: "Why?" Getting no answer to that soon turned into: "Why bother?"

Performing mathematical operations in physics or chemistry classes seemed to address fundamental questions about real things in the real world, things like forces and reactions etc, but the abstract nature of mathematics in isolation was something I couldn't relate to, even if trains leaving cities or water running out of baths were things I understood in the real world. That was frustrating. In the end mathematics lessons became a chore - a subject in which I just did what I was told to take an exam without any interest or enthusiasm. As a result most of my mathematics just went away when I was no longer obliged to do it. I don't think that was an uncommon experience for my generation.

However, an interest in art and coding has forced me to address my long-standing mathematical deficiencies. By developing an interest in generating images programmatically I've encountered certain problems that I could only solve mathematically. Animating pixels around a canvas -- moving a red square from over there to over here etc -- forced me to delve into geometry; creating more complex image objects and manipulating and transforming them on the canvas forced me to delve into more knotty areas like algebra, sets and distribution.

It's been this alignment of mathematics with my other interests which finally began the process of building a mental framework for mathematics, which is to say that addressing the "How?" questions I've encountered has led me to a growing appreciation of some of the mathematical principles I could never get to grips with as a lad.

I now have the feeling that the "Why?" question I was asking mathematics in my youth, while understandable, was probably the wrong place to start. Mathematics kind of 'just is' isn't it? As a means of exploring structure, relationship, and/or pattern it offers tools to describe the apparent interplay of order and chaos we encounter in the real world - but it is not the real world itself. In that sense mathematics has a kind of cohesion and straightforward simplicity all of its own - a system to abstract certain kinds of information into more comprehensible forms of information. If somebody had explained mathematics to me in those terms when I was at school I still don't think I would have got it though.

Here's an interesting one...

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re: Mathematics Fries My Brains

Post by laklak » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:45 pm

We don't need none of yer pointy headed maffs. All we need is adds and take-aways. Maybe goesinta and times for some people. That were good enough for me Da and his Da before, and it's good enough for me.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:48 pm

I used to love maths. Then I discovered Calculus.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:52 pm

I was OK with entry level calc but blew a tire on differentials. Thermodynamics knocked me out of engineering and into computer science.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:07 pm

I did advanced maths and advanced physics at university for a year. Came to my senses and swapped to biology.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:59 pm

I like collecting books and one them was book on calculus (it was cheap - and not the begginers stuff).
Anyway, years later a friend visited with her 13 yo son. He found this book and began to leaf through it. He stopped for a few minuets at a page and then exclaimed, "Oh, that's how you do it.". He later got his MSc in maths and might go for a maths PHd.
Me? I can just about add 2 n' 2.
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:31 am

laklak wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:52 pm
I was OK with entry level calc but blew a tire on differentials. Thermodynamics knocked me out of engineering and into computer science.
All you need to know:-
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:50 am

Breakfast maths...

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:02 pm

Frank Zappa

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:20 pm

There was a maths section in here that completely freaked me out.

watch the bit on the Benford Curve

Digits section….I am officially gobsmacked
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benford%27s_law

https://readysteadycut.com/2020/08/01/r ... ix-series/
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:39 pm

:tup:

Frank Zappa

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:38 am

I tell you Benford's Law has me questioning the reality I thought I knew. It might be law based in observation but I want to know WHY! :banghead: :read:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:21 am

Numberphile have a good explanation of it in terms of probabilities, but the fact that it works whatever base you're in is still a bit... you know... wow!

Frank Zappa

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:49 am

Thanks. Might actually be useful in this US election hot mess. :begging:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:38 pm

Frank Zappa