13%

Total votes: 23

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: What if Vegans are Actually Right?

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:20 pm

Seabass wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:13 pm
I would. I failed at vegetarianism. Meat is too damn delicious.
Entirely agree. :swoon:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:08 pm

I didn't give up meat because I didn't enjoy the taste. :pig:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:02 pm

Never even considered vegetarianism, literally never crossed my mind. Despite having been married to one. God she was a fucking pain in the ass. Wanted separate cooking pots, because apparently meat can leach into stainless steel. Who knew? Pickled pig's feet really triggered her, so I ate them constantly.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:06 pm

:D
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:33 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:15 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:25 am
Small 'c' - but then most people are. Like a lot of people he's reluctant to consider or engage on the reasons people give for making veg*n dietary choices and just chides veg*ns for not eating meat, even though it has no material impact on his choices and makes no practical difference to his life - other than perhaps giving him slightly more options at the supermarket.
I dont chide any one. Just fed up with vegans telling me what I can and cannot eat. I dont buy meat in the super market anyway. We have a fantastic organic butcher across the road selling meats from local suppliers. The only drawback he is incredibly busy.
Somewhat exaggerated, Scot. Some vegans (but not all) may get a little holier than thou and even tell you that you're evil for eating meat, but they are not going to baldly tell you what you can't eat because there's no point...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:01 am

But the vegan voices in his head...
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:20 am

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:19 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:15 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:25 am
Small 'c' - but then most people are. Like a lot of people he's reluctant to consider or engage on the reasons people give for making veg*n dietary choices and just chides veg*ns for not eating meat, even though it has no material impact on his choices and makes no practical difference to his life - other than perhaps giving him slightly more options at the supermarket.
I dont chide any one. Just fed up with vegans telling me what I can and cannot eat. I dont buy meat in the super market anyway. We have a fantastic organic butcher across the road selling meats from local suppliers. The only drawback he is incredibly busy.
Has anything a veg*n ever said actually changed your mind, your shopping, or your food preferences? No. Has anything a veg*n said or done actually stopped you from doing anything you wanted to do? No. What power do veg*ns have over society or you? None.

As I said, the only practical impact veg*ns have had on your life is very slightly more options for your food shop. Oh, the horror...

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:59 am

What's the point of lab-grown meat when we can simply eat more vegetables?
... I was one of the first people to try Eat Just’s chicken in November 2018, while I was researching my book. In its open-plan office in San Francisco’s Mission district, under the watchful eye of the PR team, I was served a small beige rectangle of a nugget wrapped in greaseproof paper, containing what they told me was both cultured chicken and the end of animal agriculture as we know it.

Yes, it tasted of chicken: it had the unmistakable aroma of chicken on my tongue and in my nose. It had some of the juiciness of animal flesh that you expect when you eat chicken: that tacky feeling on your teeth when you bite a piece of meat. But it had the consistency of the most low-grade processed meat imaginable. This was not a piece of chicken, a cut of meat, but a mass of chicken cells, bulked out and pressed into a nugget shape. I had been told this was the future of food but I found it hard to swallow...

Frank Zappa

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:08 am

The answer to that question is so bloody obvious that I'm surprised someone felt the need to ask it.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:18 am

We can probably blame the sub editor for the headline. I think the question is would you rather eat a Brussels Sprout or a vat-grown chicken nugget. :)

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:21 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:59 am
What's the point of lab-grown meat when we can simply eat more vegetables?
... I was one of the first people to try Eat Just’s chicken in November 2018, while I was researching my book. In its open-plan office in San Francisco’s Mission district, under the watchful eye of the PR team, I was served a small beige rectangle of a nugget wrapped in greaseproof paper, containing what they told me was both cultured chicken and the end of animal agriculture as we know it.

Yes, it tasted of chicken: it had the unmistakable aroma of chicken on my tongue and in my nose. It had some of the juiciness of animal flesh that you expect when you eat chicken: that tacky feeling on your teeth when you bite a piece of meat. But it had the consistency of the most low-grade processed meat imaginable. This was not a piece of chicken, a cut of meat, but a mass of chicken cells, bulked out and pressed into a nugget shape. I had been told this was the future of food but I found it hard to swallow...
Did they use a chicken cube to flavour it?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:22 am

Ha. That would be amusing!

Frank Zappa

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:48 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:18 am
We can probably blame the sub editor for the headline. I think the question is would you rather eat a Brussels Sprout or a vat-grown chicken nugget. :)
I read the article and it wasn't much better than the headline. People aren't going to just suddenly come to their senses and stop eating meat.

Eventually there will be vat-grown steaks that taste, feel, and smell exactly like real steaks and then we won't have to slaughter cows on an industrial scale anymore. That's the point.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:39 am

Indeed. And I imagine what traditional livestock farming that does take place will service the luxury end of the market where people won't care if the animals were live-tenderised with a cricket bat only that the product is exclusive and expensive.

Frank Zappa