13%

Total votes: 23

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: What if Vegans are Actually Right?

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:44 pm

Worker could make history in a crucial case for ethical vegans

Whether “ethical veganism” should be recognised as a protected philosophical belief will be determined at an employment tribunal which starts on Thursday.

At a time when hundreds of thousands of people are attempting to observe “veganuary” – going without animal products for the whole of January – the hearing will add to the growing interest in veganism.

Jordi Casamitjana claims he was sacked by his employer, the League Against Cruel Sports, after disclosing to other employees that it invested its pension funds in firms involved in animal testing and for failing to follow a management instruction not to provide financial advice to his colleagues. “I am an ethical vegan,” Casamitjana said. “This involves much more than just not eating food with animal ingredients, it’s a philosophy and a belief system which encompasses most aspects of my life.”

Casamitjana’s law firm, Slater and Gordon, believes the case could prove to be a watershed. “Ethical veganism is a philosophical belief held by a significant portion of the population in the UK and around the world,” said Casamitjana’s lawyer, Peter Daly.

“This case, if successful, will establish that the belief entitles ethical vegans to protection from discrimination. The case we have prepared sets out how the belief in principle, and how Jordi’s particular interpretations of it, meet the required legal test.”...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... t-tribunal
:tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:59 pm

veganuary? what's that dreck coming from? never heard of it before reading that piece, whose accuracy I can't testify to... frack, as soon as I get my january allowances, I'm rebuilding my cheese stocks and going to eat some soup with pork in it in my favorite ramen place...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:05 am

Help! I'm a vegan and I'm being repressed!
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:31 am

Is veganism as good for you as they say?
It’s the wellness industry’s cash cow, and athletes’ latest choice, but scientists caution there’s still much we don’t know about the diet

Katharina Wirnitzer was in the midst of training for the Bike Transalp race, one of the world’s toughest endurance events, when she began investigating whether a vegan diet was suitable for athletes.

The year was 2003 and veganism was a long way from the current boom, which has established it as one of the most in-vogue dietary trends. But Wirnitzer, a sports scientist at the University of Innsbruck, had become intrigued by the resurgence of ancient theories linking plant-based diets with improved athletic performance.

“The first athletes on strict plant-based diets were gladiators,” she says. “Roman scripts report that all fighters adhered to gladiatoriam saginam, which was based on plant foods, including large amounts of legumes, pulses and grains, and contained little or no animal protein.”

Now, almost two millennia later, Wirnitzer is one of a handful of researchers trying to get to the bottom of whether veganism could enhance an athlete’s chances of sporting success. Over the past decade, she has led the NURMI study, the broadest initiative so far investigating the effects of a vegan diet in high-performance, ultra-endurance sports.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:43 am

It's ok Scot. Nobody is interfering with your sausage.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:31 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:31 am
Is veganism as good for you as they say?
It’s the wellness industry’s cash cow, and athletes’ latest choice, but scientists caution there’s still much we don’t know about the diet

Katharina Wirnitzer was in the midst of training for the Bike Transalp race, one of the world’s toughest endurance events, when she began investigating whether a vegan diet was suitable for athletes.

The year was 2003 and veganism was a long way from the current boom, which has established it as one of the most in-vogue dietary trends. But Wirnitzer, a sports scientist at the University of Innsbruck, had become intrigued by the resurgence of ancient theories linking plant-based diets with improved athletic performance.

“The first athletes on strict plant-based diets were gladiators,” she says. “Roman scripts report that all fighters adhered to gladiatoriam saginam, which was based on plant foods, including large amounts of legumes, pulses and grains, and contained little or no animal protein.”

Now, almost two millennia later, Wirnitzer is one of a handful of researchers trying to get to the bottom of whether veganism could enhance an athlete’s chances of sporting success. Over the past decade, she has led the NURMI study, the broadest initiative so far investigating the effects of a vegan diet in high-performance, ultra-endurance sports.
You know what, I don't really believe that crap. Sure, many doctors of antiquity were influenced by Pythagorism which advocated vegetarianism to a point... but did not proscribe animal derived products such as honey, milk and dairy products, or eggs... plus, regardless of Pythagoras, a solid meat intake makes it easier to build up that muscle that is necessary for the gladiatorial trade and that must be seen in the arena.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:31 am

Ethical veganism is a belief protected by law, tribunal rules.

"For a belief to be protected under the [Equality Act 2010], it must meet a series of tests including being worthy of respect in a democratic society, being compatible with human dignity and not conflicting with the fundamental rights of others. The ruling means ethical vegans are entitled to protection from discrimination."

Frank Zappa

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:10 pm

Golden Globes will serve plant-based meal at awards ceremony

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:47 pm

Who discriminates against vegans? Meat packing plants? Crab fishermen? Cheese makers?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:00 pm

Who do vegans discriminate? The world. They are supporting a myth. They cant exist without chemicals from pharma. Their main source of protein only exists thanks to the cattle industry in America.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:25 pm

It's a shame that you suffer so badly under the jackbooted heel of vegan oppression isn't it? :roll:

The article in question reports that an employment tribunal has decided that people cannot be discriminated against in the workplace on the basis of their veganism. Perhaps you can tell me why this is a had thing Scot?? :ask:

Frank Zappa

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:39 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:25 pm
It's a shame that you suffer so badly under the jackbooted heel of vegan oppression isn't it? :roll:

The article in question reports that an employment tribunal has decided that people cannot be discriminated against in the workplace on the basis of their veganism. Perhaps you can tell me why this is a had thing Scot?? :ask:
Will it require two cafeterias and two refrigerators for storing lunches?
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:44 pm

Have a guess Brian? Go on think. What is veganism? Definitions? Some loony concept that we would have progressed so far eating veggies? Where did we get our big brains from (mind you it does make you wonder sometimes)?
How would we have got our B12 from or the other trace element so necessary to our bodies which are abundant in animal protein? Why are they all taking vitamin pills? Because it is so healthy? And why do they rely on PROCESSED soya seeds which is a product of the American cattle industry. They wont admit it and they want accept the damage all that crop spraying does to the environment.
We dont have to eat two pounder steaks. We can incorporate sensibly animal protein into our diets. I eat a maximum of 150 grams of animal protein that is organically produced and where animal welfare is paramount on land that is of no other use. No other animals or bunny rabbits suffer at its production. Vegans cannot say that.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:45 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:39 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:25 pm

Will it require two cafeterias and two refrigerators for storing lunches?
That is a very practical point. It is just like a Jewish kitchen three sets of everything.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:03 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Have a guess Brian? Go on think. What is veganism? Definitions? Some loony concept that we would have progressed so far eating veggies? Where did we get our big brains from (mind you it does make you wonder sometimes)?
How would we have got our B12 from or the other trace element so necessary to our bodies which are abundant in animal protein? Why are they all taking vitamin pills? Because it is so healthy? And why do they rely on PROCESSED soya seeds which is a product of the American cattle industry. They wont admit it and they want accept the damage all that crop spraying does to the environment.
We dont have to eat two pounder steaks. We can incorporate sensibly animal protein into our diets. I eat a maximum of 150 grams of animal protein that is organically produced and where animal welfare is paramount on land that is of no other use. No other animals or bunny rabbits suffer at its production. Vegans cannot say that.
Still not understanding how this relates to discrimination in the workplace against people who adopt veganism as an ethical, political or philosophical standpoint. Should they be discriminated against--or at least should they not be protected from discrimination--and if so why? Is it because you think they're loonies perhaps and loonies should be protected, or because you think people have some evolutionary obligation to not forego meat and animal products, or because vegan's consumption is the product if modern agricultural practices or goes against traditional dietary culture or cuisine, or is it that vegans simply have different values to you and make different choices and you just don't like it?

Frank Zappa