Farts and Climate Change

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Farts and Climate Change

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:30 am

Governments are the only way to solve this. It's not going to happen via private enterprise. And it's not necessarily a case of giving the government money. They can just shift the subsidies from fossil fuels to renewables.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:58 am

You really have faith in Trump and Co.

It's weird.

I wonder if you would trust the Trump administration enough to turn over all your weapons. For your own safety. Call it the 'wounded knee' style of government protection.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:59 am

I don't trust Trump one bit. I don't expect him to do anything about global warming. Any action will have to come after he's gone.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:03 am

So the NEXT government will be SURELY trustworthy, and we can just give them a bunch of money, and it will be good.

What's our measure for success by the way? Is there a real goal? Or is it just like feminism where there is no clear end goal, so that it can go on forever?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:27 am

God you are tedious.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:13 am

I should have known you would tire under any direct questions. Sorry, I forgot. Have a nap, old friend.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:01 pm

JimC wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:11 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:05 pm
rainbow wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:58 am
Cunt wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:08 pm
There are no accusers, he is just hoping some of his imaginary friends will cause you to answer.
Then why was Farty crying into his Wheaties, about being accused of being a denier.
I'm not. You started this thread. I posted information about the impact of the livestock industry on greenhouse gases, and for some reason that set a lot of people off. I also favor technological solutions rather than non-market based authoritarianism, and that bothers people - because to be "not a denialist" you not only have to accept the science, you have to accept leftist political and economic solutions.
What you have to accept (if you are a non-denier) is that the consequences of "steady as she goes" will be to cause more and more damage to the biosphere (and human civilisation), and that we need to employ the most effective programs to reduce CO2 emissions, as quickly as possible. There will certainly be a need for innovative technology, but you may simply need to accept that we will also need a level of government intervention that conservatives may feel unpalatable. For much "normal" economic activity, free market solutions can be effective (with some clear limits), but climate change will require solutions which are beyond the power of "the invisible hand"...
I haven't advanced the position of "steady as she goes." There may be a need for formerly unpalatable governmental intervention; however, that need does not mean that all government interventions are effective and warrant acceptance. You need to accept the fact that there are some proposed solutions that are not appropriate.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:18 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:30 am
Governments are the only way to solve this. It's not going to happen via private enterprise. And it's not necessarily a case of giving the government money. They can just shift the subsidies from fossil fuels to renewables.
There really aren't "subsidies" to the fossil fuel industry that can be "shifted" to another industry. https://www.forbes.com/sites/drillingin ... d45f966e1c

It's not like the oil companies received Solyndra-like payments. What folks include as among the "subsidies" to the fossil fuel industry include tax credits that aren't specific to the fossil fuel industry. To call that a subsidy is to call anything under 100% tax a "subsidy."

Where the fossil fuel industry receives a tax benefit that other companies don't get, then that would be something to talk about. But, again, that's not "shifting" a subsidy. One would just repeal the tax code provision in question.

In the main, however, shifting around subsidies and tax credits/deductions is not going to get the job done. What needs to happen is enough power needs to be generated in a manner that does not expel nearly as much carbon into the air.

I don't oppose all government involvement. I just want it to make sense. And, I don't appreciate the argument that whatever is suggested must be supported because climate change -- so many times a Pascal Wager type argument ("what if you're wrong...") is raised regarding climate change remediation plans. The intent behind the plan is to reduce carbon and save the planet, if I'm wrong, the planet is still here and fine and all we've done is spend some money or enact an ineffective but good-intentioned policy -- if you're wrong, the planet dies! Or, the argument "who can be against cleaning up the planet???!!! Even if this measure does not solve the planet, at least it's trying..." I don't accept those kinds of arguments.
Last edited by Forty Two on Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:20 pm

Three for the price of one.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:06 pm

We live in a town run on diesel, mainly.

The diamond mines offered to bring in a nuclear power plant to meet their needs, and leave it with the Territories after they go, providing MUCH low-emissions power.

The locals, who genuinely are against ruining the earth, chose diesel, trucked up from the south. Who wants to deal with nuclear waste? It would be sitting there, on our yard, waiting for treatment.

The clouds of emissions just blow 'away', and are a lot easier to sell to the 'stakeholders' (in this case being indigenous governments and Canadian politicians)
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:34 pm

Forty Two wrote:

I haven't advanced the position of "steady as she goes." There may be a need for formerly unpalatable governmental intervention; however, that need does not mean that all government interventions are effective and warrant acceptance. You need to accept the fact that there are some proposed solutions that are not appropriate.
OK, you can see at least the possible need for government intervention. There are more intransigent conservatives than yourself, who would resist most instances.

And it's certainly true that not all proposed actions, government or otherwise, will be effective. Or, to be more accurate, the set of proposed actions will have a range of effectiveness, and we need some clear, rational decision making to choose the most effective, and the ones that give the most bang for our bucks. The problem is that politicians, in general, as well as corporations, are not good at taking long term strategies for a global good - it is usually the case of short term tactics for either commercial gain or political advantage.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:40 pm

Cunt wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:06 pm
We live in a town run on diesel, mainly.

The diamond mines offered to bring in a nuclear power plant to meet their needs, and leave it with the Territories after they go, providing MUCH low-emissions power.

The locals, who genuinely are against ruining the earth, chose diesel, trucked up from the south. Who wants to deal with nuclear waste? It would be sitting there, on our yard, waiting for treatment.

The clouds of emissions just blow 'away', and are a lot easier to sell to the 'stakeholders' (in this case being indigenous governments and Canadian politicians)
Youncould run a small nuclear power station for 300 years and not fill a community swimming pool with the spent fuel.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:43 pm

Damn, we ought to be able to figure something out in 300 years.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:20 pm

JimC wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:34 pm
Forty Two wrote:

OK, you can see at least the possible need for government intervention. There are more intransigent conservatives than yourself, who would resist most instances.

And it's certainly true that not all proposed actions, government or otherwise, will be effective. Or, to be more accurate, the set of proposed actions will have a range of effectiveness, and we need some clear, rational decision making to choose the most effective, and the ones that give the most bang for our bucks. The problem is that politicians, in general, as well as corporations, are not good at taking long term strategies for a global good - it is usually the case of short term tactics for either commercial gain or political advantage.
Which is why I thought it was an interesting approach to give a river corporate 'personhood'. Corporations seem good at some kinds of long-range planning...

Government funding has a tendency to drip out in 1 - 3 year trickles. Like a wealthy elder granting us the urine of their generosity.
BarnettNewman wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:40 pm
Youncould run a small nuclear power station for 300 years and not fill a community swimming pool with the spent fuel.
Try selling it then.

Good luck in remote northern communities.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:20 am

Cunt wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:29 pm

Did you accuse him?

:blah: You can ask the question 10 more times and you'll get the same answer. :blah:

:ask: Does your local Adult Literacy Centre not have a reading comprehension course?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4