why do ears and noses continue to grow when getting older.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

why do ears and noses continue to grow when getting older.

Post by NineBerry » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:25 pm

Why? It looks shit.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: why do ears and noses continue to grow when getting olde

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:45 pm

You is in a computer simulation - hypothesis. Boredom/humour of the code monkeys governing growth I'd guess?
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:32 am

It'd be good if one's cock got bigger as one got older.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:23 am

pErvin wrote:It'd be good if one's cock got bigger as one got older.
In what way?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:53 am

Get young chicks easier.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:12 am

Not knowing why ears and noses continue to grow when getting older and having been infected by the most fatal of all cat diseases*, I did some googling. It turns out that ears and noses do not continue to grow when getting older. It's just another one of those urban myths, or as Dodo would put it, fake news. The myth is based on an optical illusion. What really does happen is that the brain shrinks, and because nature abhors a vacuum, it pulls the skull bones inwards as it diminishes in size, making ears and nose look bigger.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:23 am

You do realise that gin is the perfect antidote to brain shrinkage, I hope...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:13 am

What gets me is hair growth. My head hair does not grow fast anymore but nose and ear hair keeps on sprouting. Why cant someone make a drug against facial hair growth? I hate shaving and have to do it every day. Body hair seems to slow down (TG!). Dont have to shave so much. I have a phobia about all hair except head hair which is shoulder length but the rest I hate.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:24 am

Hermit wrote:Not knowing why ears and noses continue to grow when getting older and having been infected by the most fatal of all cat diseases*, I did some googling. It turns out that ears and noses do not continue to grow when getting older. It's just another one of those urban myths, or as Dodo would put it, fake news. The myth is based on an optical illusion. What really does happen is that the brain shrinks, and because nature abhors a vacuum, it pulls the skull bones inwards as it diminishes in size, making ears and nose look bigger.
[Citation Required]

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -as-we-age

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:29 am

Hermit wrote:Not knowing why ears and noses continue to grow when getting older and having been infected by the most fatal of all cat diseases*, I did some googling. It turns out that ears and noses do not continue to grow when getting older. It's just another one of those urban myths, or as Dodo would put it, fake news. The myth is based on an optical illusion. What really does happen is that the brain shrinks, and because nature abhors a vacuum, it pulls the skull bones inwards as it diminishes in size, making ears and nose look bigger.

OK. I accept that. But one's plums definitely swing lower with time. :D
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:41 am

"Do Your Ears And Nose Continue To Grow As You Age?"
As mentioned before, the actual cause of our seemingly-swelling snout, is gravity. When we age, the collagen and elastin fibers that make up cartilage begin to break down. This causes them to stretch and sag, making them appear longer. Our skin giving structural support to cartilage, also contains collagen and elastin fibers that droop over time. This compounds the lengthening problem.

Drooping isn’t the only cause to the appearance of larger ears and noses. The surrounding areas of the face, like your cheeks and lips, lose volume over time. The result is the appearance of larger organs next to them. Similar to the time honored tradition of standing next to someone who looks worse then you, when trying to hit on a perspective mate. It makes you look better!

All of this drooping and stretching does cause our ears and noses to lengthen. Studies have shown that ears elongate by .22 millimeters per year. This elongation-to-age ratio is so exacting, it can be used by forensic scientists to determine the approximate age of a person.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:58 am

NineBerry wrote:
[Citation Required]

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -as-we-age
The Guardian is a prime example of MSM fake news generators. Citations will be forthcoming upon the publication of my scholarly and peer reviewed article titled Up Your Nose and Stick that in Your Ear in the Autumn quarter issue of the Jumper Verlag's Journal of Studies in Post-Modernist Dadaism.

P.S.: I see L'Emmerdeur is yet another victim of the purveyors of the MSM's fake news. :nono:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:02 pm

22mm per year eh? So a centurion should have ears in the vicinity two metres length.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:05 pm

pErvin wrote:22mm per year eh? So a centurion should have ears in the vicinity two metres length.
You so obviously missed L'Emmerdeur's point. :nono:

:mrgreen: