Radiation and Respiration

DRSB

Re: Radiation and Respiration

Post by DRSB » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:19 am

Earth’s Oxygen Levels Continue To Decline
For the last 800,000 years, the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere has declined by about 0.7 percent. It's not enough to cause harm to lifeforms, but enough to puzzle scientists.

In a new study, published in Science, researchers from Princeton University looked at air bubbles trapped in ancient ice in Greenland and Antarctica. The team estimated the past atmospheric pressure of oxygen by measuring the ratio of oxygen to nitrogen in these prehistoric bubbles.

Oxygen is clearly key to life on Earth as we know it, but it also plays a role in many chemical processes around the globe. A change of 0.7 is nothing too dramatic, though; it's an equivalent drop of going from zero to about 100 meters (328 feet) above sea level.

But the puzzling question is where did it go? The researchers have two hypotheses that could explain the decline.
http://www.iflscience.com/environment/e ... o-decline/

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:29 am

DRSB wrote:Earth’s Oxygen Levels Continue To Decline
For the last 800,000 years, the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere has declined by about 0.7 percent. It's not enough to cause harm to lifeforms, but enough to puzzle scientists.

In a new study, published in Science, researchers from Princeton University looked at air bubbles trapped in ancient ice in Greenland and Antarctica. The team estimated the past atmospheric pressure of oxygen by measuring the ratio of oxygen to nitrogen in these prehistoric bubbles.

Oxygen is clearly key to life on Earth as we know it, but it also plays a role in many chemical processes around the globe. A change of 0.7 is nothing too dramatic, though; it's an equivalent drop of going from zero to about 100 meters (328 feet) above sea level.

But the puzzling question is where did it go? The researchers have two hypotheses that could explain the decline.
http://www.iflscience.com/environment/e ... o-decline/
It's being stolen and shipped off elsewhere. The fine grain history of this decline will reveal peculiar blips - that's when the ships come and scoop some up. :whisper:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:25 am

Crumple wrote: It's being stolen and shipped off elsewhere. The fine grain history of this decline will reveal peculiar blips - that's when the ships come and scoop some up. :whisper:
That's what they want you to believe. It is just a cover for their Helium-3 mining activities.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:36 am

A nice article on oxygen and the origins of life on earth:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/08 ... ysterious/

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:46 am

Is anyone else astounded that Galaxian has not trooped in yet to tell us exactly who stole the oxygen, and why?

Or is the reason for the way he studiously ignores this thread that he is the culprit. Mars and the other planets he visits are, after all, very short of that stuff.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:51 pm

My criticism of the summary in the OP is about how the Earth retained it's oceans and Mars and Venus didn't.

I've never read anywhere that it's to do with Photosynthesis. Venus is much closer to the Sun, and doesn't have a magnetic field on a par with that of Earth.
So the solar wind is very strong on Venus, and constantly strips off the top layer of the atmosphere, leaving the heavier stuff.
Mars is too cold for liquid water anyway, and it also doesn't have an equivalent magnetic field. So water vapour gets stripped by the solar wind, or frozen to ice.

If photosynthesis is thought to be involved, I wouldn't mind a link.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:35 am

mistermack wrote:My criticism of the summary in the OP is about how the Earth retained it's oceans and Mars and Venus didn't.

I've never read anywhere that it's to do with Photosynthesis. Venus is much closer to the Sun, and doesn't have a magnetic field on a par with that of Earth.
So the solar wind is very strong on Venus, and constantly strips off the top layer of the atmosphere, leaving the heavier stuff.
Mars is too cold for liquid water anyway, and it also doesn't have an equivalent magnetic field. So water vapour gets stripped by the solar wind, or frozen to ice.

If photosynthesis is thought to be involved, I wouldn't mind a link.
Here is the photosynthesis explanation, I read the whole book.
Attachments
9780198784937.jpg
9780198784937.jpg (20.42 KiB) Viewed 4289 times

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:40 am

The ocean is running out of oxygen at a rapid speed—and the depletion could choke to death much of the marine life these waters support. A sweeping review published Thursday in Science documented the causes, consequences and solutions to what is technically called “deoxygenation.” They discovered a four-to-tenfold increase in areas of the ocean with little to no oxygen, which researchers say is alarming because half of Earth’s oxygen originates from the ocean.
http://www.newsweek.com/oxygen-disappea ... most_read4

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:06 am

Another O2 book appeared, by Donald Canfield.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:44 am

Tero wrote:Another O2 book appeared, by Donald Canfield.
Thanks, will check it out.

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:22 pm

DRSB wrote:I gave a speech on Oxygen yesterday
Sorry to hear that, but very brave, under the circumstances.
The ocean is running out of oxygen at a rapid speed—and the depletion could choke to death much of the marine life these waters support.
That article is the greatest load of bollocks I've read in a long time. Even for climate science, it breaks new ground for stupidity. :clap:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:48 pm

But you're not going to tell us why eh?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:56 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:But you're not going to tell us why eh?
I told you why. The very first sentence of the article should be enough.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 pm

You told us your opinion, not why you hold it. Apparently it's self-evident, like the Archbishops used to say about original sin. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:32 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:You told us your opinion, not why you hold it. Apparently it's self-evident, like the Archbishops used to say about original sin. :tea:
If you don't think it's self evident, there's no hope for you. :funny: