Radiation and Respiration

DRSB

Radiation and Respiration

Post by DRSB » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:03 pm

I gave a speech on Oxygen yesterday and people want a continuation. They want to know more about how radiation and respiration produce the exact same free radicals and aggressive intermediary oxygen compounds.

Here's the summary of the speech.
We all agree: Oxygen is vitally important to us, if we stop breathing it, we will be dead in a matter of minutes. And yet, how much does the average person know about it? What exactly is Oxygen and where does it come from? Is it an elixir or poison or both?

Oxygen is a gas with the chemical symbol O, the third- most abundant element in the universe that constitutes 20.8% of the Earth’s atmosphere. The name Oxygen was coined only in 1777 and the element itself had been „discovered“ only several years earlier but curiously enough, even before that, had been know to the Alchemists, the ones that tried to turn iron into gold.

The unusually high concentration of Oxygen gas in the atmosphere of the Earth is the result of Photosynthesis, a process in which light is used by organisms to split water and convert CO2 into glucose, emitting Oxygen as a waste product in the atmosphere. Photosynthesis emerged 3.5 bln years ago. Why is this a big deal?

It is thanks to this emission of Oxygen as a waste product of photosynthesis that the Earth preserved its oceans while the other planets lost them. How come? Here is how. There is water in gas form in the atmosphere. The ultraviolet sun rays split the water molecule (H2O), Hydrogen being a light gas escapes the gravity, while Oxygen, being much heavier, is retained by gravity and reacts with iron in the rocks and oceans, forming crust, the net result being loss of water. This is what happened on the early Earth before the emergence of photosynthesis, this is what cost Mars and Venus their oceans. On the other hand, the Oxygen emitted as a result of photosynthesis combines with the Hydrogen from the split water molecules in the atmosphere and in this manner locks it back in, recaptures it so to say and this is what conserved the water on our planet.

Another peculiar thing about oxygen is that it is toxic. Very high concentrations of oxygen cause convulsions and death in a matter of minutes. The toxicity of oxygen is what drove the emergence of complex organisms adapted to tolerate so much oxygen in the air. The first multicellular organisms probably evolved from clumps of cells which clustered together to deal collectively with the rising amount of atmospheric Oxygen.

The toxicity of Oxygen results from the formation of free radicals (fleeting electrons from the Oxygen atom) and the formation of intermediary Oxygen compounds that are highly aggressive and damaging. This formation of free radicals is caused both by the ultraviolet radiation of the Sun and also, by our own respiration. When we use Oxygen to extract energy from food, we produce free-radical intermediates that are the exact same ones that result from radiation. Oxygen‘s free radicals are formed inside us all the time. Over a lifetime the cells in our bodies gradually deteriorate and this is called ageing. Hence, the process of aging is a process of slow Oxygen poisoning akin to radiation poisoning.

In an nutshell: Oxygen is both a life elixir and poison at the same time, subjecting us to slow poisoning akin to radiation poisoning that causes ageing and ultimately death.
Who can recommend resources? The audience is the Toastmasters International.

P.S. I know here we are all free and radical, so Oxygen must be our friend.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Radiation and Respiration

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:24 pm

Some related info which could probably be worked in for a general audience:

Oxygen Activation and Reduction in Respiration: Involvement of Redox-Active Tyrosine 244 (2006) : http://science.sciencemag.org/content/290/5496/1588 (access with free registration)
Scientists solve mystery of odd patterns of oxygen in solar system's earliest rocks (2013) : http://phys.org/news/2013-10-scientists ... xygen.html
Readers ponder mysterious origins of oxygen on comets and Earth (2016) : https://www.sciencenews.org/article/rea ... -and-earth
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:53 am

Thank you, Brian!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:26 am

Don't forget to mention singlet oxygen, if you want to get them excited.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:44 am

Never heard of singlet oxygen, thanks for notifying me! Yes, they got so excited especially after realizing how little they knew about this vital element that we need not only on a day-to-day basis but on much shorter periods.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:07 am

The most frequent free radical is uncharged OH, the hydroxyl radical.

The key point of radicals of any sort is that they have unsatisfied, unpaired electrons, and that as they react with other important molecules, they typically break them into fragments, which is an issue if the said covalent molecule is a vital enzyme, structural protein or DNA molecule. The effects of ionising radiation such as alpha radiation are partly due to direct effects on vital compounds such as DNA, but even more so by their ability to create large numbers of free radicals...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:03 pm

100% of all heroin addicts started on oxygen. One single breath of oxygen and you're hooked for life. Deprive an oxygen addict of his fix and he'll DIE within 5 minutes.

Help stamp out the scourge of oxygen addiction!
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:11 pm

A paucity as well as a surfeit of oxygen can act as a powerful intoxicant.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:26 pm

Most of oxygen biochemistry and the bits of chemistry that protect you from damaging oxidation is micromanagement. You have to know lots of enzymes etc.

On a positive note, the stable form of C is CO2. We are all playing a dangerous game of C and H and N chemistry when all our molecules would rather be CO2 and H2O. :prof:
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:31 am

https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:14 am

dihydrogen monoxide joke or has that meme come and gone?
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:20 am

39 views. 0 subscribers. I wonder why?

Frank Zappa

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:35 am

laklak wrote:100% of all heroin addicts started on oxygen. One single breath of oxygen and you're hooked for life. Deprive an oxygen addict of his fix and he'll DIE within 5 minutes.

Help stamp out the scourge of oxygen addiction!
Oxygen hydride is implicated in Selachii attacks.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:44 am

Brian Peacock wrote:39 views. 0 subscribers. I wonder why?

Because the video has been disabled by the owner.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:50 am

Not for me. Shame, you missed the burning issue: If trees make oxygen how come we don't all suffocate in winter?

Frank Zappa