The rise of the machine

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: The rise of the machine

Post by JimC » Wed May 31, 2023 8:38 pm

aufbahrung wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:21 am
Bing, never liked the name. Reminds me of Bingo and I never liked Bingo. Scribbling in numbers for entertainment. What sort of masochist does that anyway?
There was a farmer had a dog, and Bingo was his name-o. B-I-N-G-O B-I-N-G-O B-I-N-G-O And Bingo was his name-o. There was a farmer had a dog, and Bingo was his name-o. (clap)-I-N-G-O (clap)-I-N-G-O (clap)-I-N-G-O And Bingo was his name-o.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:17 am

I think we are at a critical point in time, and we need to get it right. While there's a non-zero chance that we could get sentient Terminator-like robots, I think the real threat is misinformation and manipulation of humans with said misinformation. Imagine a Donald Trump - like leader conspiring with autocracies like Russia. Video/audio emerges implicating him in treason. But we no longer have the ability to distinguish between real and fake video, as deep fakes have got so good. Even worse, imagine a networked AI faking evidence of a nuclear launch from China. How would a human operator in the US respond to this? Would they be tricked into launching a counterstrike?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:48 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:17 am
...we need to get it right...
The critical point is "who is the we"? Is it the fractured political systems of the world. or is it the profit-hungry corporations developing the tech?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:05 am

Governments obviously. And the tech companies are calling for it.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:06 am

Will China and Russia get on board with the US? Probably not, and then we're fucked.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:25 am

My point was that there are so many agencies, both governmental and private that are either involved with AI, are potential regulators of AI or want to use AI for their own purposes that it is hard to conceive of anything resembling an effective, unified response...
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:44 am

Yeah I agree. We're fucked. :crumple:

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:51 am

Can I at least be fucked by a comely maid?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:19 am

Sexbots!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:42 am

yesss
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:29 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
I think we are at a critical point in time, and we need to get it right. While there's a non-zero chance that we could get sentient Terminator-like robots, I think the real threat is misinformation and manipulation of humans with said misinformation. Imagine a Donald Trump - like leader conspiring with autocracies like Russia. Video/audio emerges implicating him in treason. But we no longer have the ability to distinguish between real and fake video, as deep fakes have got so good. Even worse, imagine a networked AI faking evidence of a nuclear launch from China. How would a human operator in the US respond to this? Would they be tricked into launching a counterstrike?
While the capacity of machine learning to run these things up is pretty staggering, the issue isn't the machine learning artefacts themselves, but the people using them. We already have a shitton of fake news, plainly biased news, political operators, commenters, and media that literally buy into an alternate version reality (alt-facts), state-sponsored and corporate troll farms, hacking of infrastructure and intellectual property and profit-driven blackops, a plethora of fraud (some of it institutionalised and protected by law), the gaming of financial systems, commercial sectors, and entire economies. AI just makes all this quicker and a bit cheaper. The problem isn't the AI but the nefarious impulses and turpitudinous desires of certain classes of human agent.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:33 pm

I reckon the only way to get the billionaire classes to self-impose limits on the power of AI is to somehow convince them that AI is 'woke'.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:38 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:29 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
While the capacity of machine learning to run these things up is pretty staggering, the issue isn't the machine learning artefacts themselves, but the people using them. We already have a shitton of fake news, plainly biased news, political operators, commenters, and media that literally buy into an alternate version reality (alt-facts), state-sponsored and corporate troll farms, hacking of infrastructure and intellectual property and profit-driven blackops, a plethora of fraud (some of it institutionalised and protected by law), the gaming of financial systems, commercial sectors, and entire economies. AI just makes all this quicker and a bit cheaper. The problem isn't the AI but the nefarious impulses and turpitudinous desires of certain classes of human agent.
You're not thinking this right. The problem is that soon AI won't need human agents to direct them. The worry is that AI will operate on its own, with its own desires and goals that we are not entirely sure of.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:41 am

US airforce simulated AI drone operation. (this is from a random twitter post, so authenticity not guaranteed).

Found a link. Still not convinced of authenticity yet. https://www.aerosociety.com/news/highli ... es-summit/

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:26 am