Time flows in One Direction

Jason
Destroyer of words

Time flows in One Direction

Post by Jason » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:54 pm

Physicists confirm that time moves forward even in the quantum world

For the first time, an experiment has confirmed that the laws of thermodynamics hold true even at the quantum level – which means that even in the quantum world, you can’t unspill that glass of milk.

The reason time runs the way it does in our everyday lives is because of the second law of thermodynamics, which states that over time all systems become more disordered, or increase in entropy. And that process is irreversible, which is why time only moves forward. But theoretical physicists had predicted that on the quantum level, the process might go both ways.

That’s because when you start dealing with really, really small particles, the laws of physics – such as the Schrödinger equation – are 'time-symmetric' or reversible. "In theory, forward and backward microscopic processes are indistinguishable," writes Lisa Zyga for Phys.org.

Now physicists led by the Federal University of ABC in Brazil have performed an experiment that confirms that those theories don’t match up with the reality, with thermodynamic processes remaining irreversible even in quantum systems. But they still don’t understand why that’s the case.

http://www.sciencealert.com/physicists- ... mitstart=1
Sorry Dr. Who.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Re: Time flows in One Direction

Post by Jason » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:44 pm

Almost forgot: Suck it Seth.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:46 pm

Time flow like tears, the policeman said.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:22 am

My fanciful theory is that at the quantum level, space is like dominoes standing on end. It's pre-loaded, so that when one domino falls over, it tips the next one. That's why the speed of light is an absolute figure.
Have you ever noticed how those dominoes always fall at the same speed?

But once a domino has been tipped, it can't be stood up again. It can't be reversed. An increase in entropy is like an increase in tipped dominoes. Eventually, they will all be lying flat, and nothing can happen.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:18 am

mistermack wrote:My fanciful theory is that at the quantum level, space is like dominoes standing on end. It's pre-loaded, so that when one domino falls over, it tips the next one. That's why the speed of light is an absolute figure.

But once a domino has been tipped, it can't be stood up again. It can't be reversed. An increase in entropy is like an increase in tipped dominoes. Eventually, they will all be lying flat, and nothing can happen.
The basic premise is flawed. We can only experience time in one direction.
Ergo any experiments we do will come to the conclusion that time flow in one direction. Selection bias.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:18 am

rainbow wrote:
mistermack wrote:My fanciful theory is that at the quantum level, space is like dominoes standing on end. It's pre-loaded, so that when one domino falls over, it tips the next one. That's why the speed of light is an absolute figure.

Ergo any experiments we do will come to the conclusion that time flows in one direction. Selection bias.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:50 am

rainbow wrote: The basic premise is flawed. We can only experience time in one direction.
Ergo any experiments we do will come to the conclusion that time flow in one direction. Selection bias.
Rubbish. Time can go backwards and I can prove it.

Edit: Sorry, I meant prove it.
Last edited by mistermack on Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:52 am

rainbow wrote: The basic premise is flawed. We can only experience time in one direction.
Rubbish. Time can go backwards and I can proof it.

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:56 pm

I would like to see One Direction flow in lava.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:17 pm

:lol: I always refer to them as 'Wand Erection'.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:10 pm

Yep, it flows downhill. Like shit.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:13 pm

rainbow wrote:

You're joking right?

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:10 pm

Selection bias everywhere. We can only experience daylight between sunrise and sunset. Ergo any experiments we do will come to the conclusion that the sun causes daylight.

See how this works? ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:10 pm

Brian Peacock wrote::lol: I always refer to them as 'Wand Erection'.
As a fan of homophones, I usually refer to them as "Wan Direction".

Either way, a waste of carbon.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:18 am

Duration is the only important quantity in real world physics. All else is metaphysics...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!